Technical please please help

Currently reading:
Technical please please help

mk1tt16v

hey all i really need to know the exact temperature that the fan should kick in.my car doesnt have a temp gauge(1.2 8valve 2000)but i put my temperature gauge in the cooling system and the temp got to 104 deg before i unplugged the temp sensor to make the fan kick in.the car is not pressurising the coolant system and there is no water in oil,there is smoke from the exhaust but im hoping it will clear when i take it for a run.
if nobody knows what temp it should come on that would be great if not then where can i find out?
also what temp does the warning light come on on the dash

thanks in advance

Last edited:
According to Haynes Manual page 3-1, the thermostat starts to open at 85-89 degC, and fully open at 100degC. However, I couldn't find the data regarding the fan, but it recommends that it should kick in within a few minutes before the warning light illuminates. Detailed diagnosis should be done at dealer.

thanks for the reply mate.the car runs fine just took it for a 30 mile spin and all seems well the prob is i just cant get the fan to come on by letting it idle.i have let it get to 100 deg but still no fan on and i dont really want to let it get any hotter could do with knowing what temp the light comes on

The fan is controlled by the ecu, so if your temperature guage is working (i assume so, how else will you know how hot it is) the ecu knows how hot everything is, and the fan is working (as when you disconnect the sensor the fan comes on)

Id say its normal.

hi mate the car does not have a temp gauge.i am using my own one to get my readings and if there is a prob somewhere then i would rather not run it up to 100 deg to try and make the fan come on without knowing when it should come on if you know what i mean any ideas where i can get the info i need?

Again, according to Haynes pp.3-3, if what I suggested above doesn't work, you should test the motor by disconnecting it from the wiring loom, and connect a 12V supply directly to it. If it doesn't spin, the motor is at fault.

If it works, the problem will then be in one of the cooling fan relays, the relay fuse, or the engine wiring harness. If all these are good, the problem will be the ECU - but do NOT test the ECU yourself, you need to refer it back to Fiat.

I hope this keeps you busy for Easter!!

well after a day of head scratching i managed to work out the fan should come on at 99/100 deg so once i knew this i could then run the car with my probe on the rad. once it got to that temp the fan still wasnt coming on so i checked the voltage to the fan when it got to this temp, it was 13/14v so fan must be to blame. like i said earlier the fan came on when i knocked it( i thought this was just coincidence) so i kept letting it get to this temp and when i was knocking the fan it was coming on.so then the car was behaving as normal so managed to get a fan from a mate and problem solved.it now does what it is supposed to and the car was idling for an hour with no probs at all.funny thing is when i put 12v to the fan on the floor it works but when plugged in it requires a shove.any way prob solved

Back