General PICTURES AT LAST - as long as I got the links right!!

Currently reading:
General PICTURES AT LAST - as long as I got the links right!!

BIKER-BITZ

If I got this right, the pictures of my new toy should be below..........

..........or maybe not:bang:

Glynn

Attachments

• BARCHETTA 001.JPG
    BARCHETTA 001.JPG
    344.5 KB · Views: 33
  • BARCHETTA 010.JPG
    BARCHETTA 010.JPG
    344.9 KB · Views: 24
  • BARCHETTA 013.JPG
    BARCHETTA 013.JPG
    345.2 KB · Views: 36
Very nice, I wish you many happy years of open top motoring!! (y)

Now, lets get on with the list of mods, HID headlights, Eibach springs (to help it sit a bit better and handle a bit better), induction kit (Peter at GSR is in the final stages of completing one for the MK2), waxoyl inner wings-sills-floorpan, Infinity Reference speakers, twin fans for the rad to keep her cool in the long hot French summers, redline gear oil, oil cooler and catch tank............that should keep you busy for a couple of weeks while others come along to add their suggestions!!

not to mention to replace any rusty nuts you find with titanium ones...:p

Yay! Another mk2 owner. We can stand together when they start going on about naxos bumpers?, 3rd brake lights that look like cats bottoms and just how much better the mk1 is in general!
xS

Last edited:
A fine looking B in a fine part of the globe, me and the Dordogne are in total harmony !!! Now for the Killjoy bit.

Whilst I know Mr LRB is a very fine gentleman too I'm not in harmony with his mod suggestions. Given they are personal choices I hope I'm allowed to disagree and am not challenged to a duel when next in Binfield.
Lowered springs are a total waste of time for me in London OR in Spain today since speed humps are proliferating like crazy (new shockers now that's a very good idea)
HID is illegal, but I'll allow that, but can't be bothered since I eat a lot of carrots.
I am baffled too why someone throws away a OEM efficient HUGE sized air cleaner/induction silencer system. Full Stop. Fiat accountants don't waste their budgets unneccessarilly on all the many purpose designed plastic bits without any indepth engineering input regardless of what any amateur says. Why then pay for another? especially the dodgy alternative mini M.Mouse green kit that is fitted Heath Robinson style with tumble dryer tubing sticky backed plastic and bodged cable ties !!! That ruins the tickover allegedly (sounds very noisy though) Neither do I reckon that any supposed BHP gain is noticed by the driver. The extra noise may fully adjust the imagination a tad which is why the music side then needs upgrading too. The new Kit that is being designed for the Mk2 may well be 'superior' and most def noisier but we're talking about a modest little FWD car here, will any extra BHP actually be used? If so, goodbye licence soon.
Why? too add more weight & dissipate cash by fitting another fan, my OEM rad keeps very cool in 40+C Med type temps. A waste of money & effort ditto with the oil cooler + catch tank.
By all means waxoil stuff and add a strutbrace. But why fix what ain't broke?

PBN

:D

The great thing about this place is the diversity of views and people - how boring would it be if we all agreed and did the same thing!! :sleep:

I have to disagree with the induction sentiments though! FIAT (and any other car manufacturer), have to create a car that will meet as many emissions/sound etc standards as possible for all of its target markets so as not to have to build a car per country. The nett result of this is a 'blended' car that meets and usually exceeds Euro/Japanese standards but results in an engine that is manufactured short of its capabilities!

Changing the induction has resulted in circa 10 bhp gains, I have to admit that from standstill I have not noticed significant performance gains however at 40+ there is a difference, and as this is the sort of speed you would overtake the additional 10bhp makes the difference!!

BTW, if you are ever passing Binfield let me know, I will buy you a pint in the Victoria Arms!! (y)

B mods discussion:

First pic is how Fiat wanted it, the second is how I want it. The intake mods and exhaust mods all help as the RR does not make up the figures. The B intake system was designed for the hot dusty roads of Italy so is overkill in the UK. The exhaust system is made at a price and cracks over time so for the same cash fitting a stainless is a no brainer. I agree that fitting stainless manifolds that cost £300 is a bit much for everyone but when you are looking to add more BHP you have to look at all the parts on the engine and find out what the bottle necks are.

I agree that its your B so do what you want its still a cool B (y) No mods or full turbo kit all Bs welcome :)

Attachments

• Img_1319.jpg
    Img_1319.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_5978.JPG
    IMG_5978.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Well, I don't want this to seem like a lynch mob and I certainly respect the fact that some people like to keep their Barchettas more or less standard.

In my experience the induction kit and chip re-mapping made a huge difference to drive-ability. I can't comment on them individually as I had them done together. My wife said it was as if the car had had a cold before and now it was better. Why don't Fiat do this as standard? I don't really know, I imagine it comes down to price and meeting so many standards in different countries.

I didn't notice such a difference from the exhaust, but I had that done afterwards. It sounds better and will last longer which are plus points from my point of view.

The Eibach springs made a huge difference to handling (I had them done with Bilstein shocks at the same time). It's taking a little hassle to get it through it's "control technique" but they also improved the ride quality. I haven't found any problems with speed bumps in cities or round where I live, although I wouldn't want it much lower! Even the Fiat dealership told me how much better the car drove now and they didn't supply the parts.

So there you go, another opinion :)

I reckon in general it pays to think about what you want from the car before you start modifying, then you read around and work out what's going to help you achieve that. For me a turbo is a step too far, for others it's only the first step!

Cheers Guy's (and Girl)

To be honest, It will only be used for sunny days and touring, so not interested in performance mods. However, I do like a well presented car (including under the bonnet) so the engine bay will be getting some treatment....nice one Doc!

My racing days are now behind me (so my wife tells me:bang:) and she never did enjoy the Caterham, so I guess it's time to officially become a 'Grumpy Old(ish) Man':D

Glynn
Previous life below:

Attachments

• CATERHAM 027-5.jpg
    CATERHAM 027-5.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 14
  • GLYNN - SILVERSTONE.jpg
    GLYNN - SILVERSTONE.jpg
    450.6 KB · Views: 21
My opinion is : I don't think LRB is a sad git for one second. Even more so now I have a pint waiting, consider me bribed and content forever. Neither do I think that folks should only have my take on any possible mods. Especially The Doc, that car is and will be a complete one-off almost a Shrine to the god of B ownership with no expense spared so each to their own. Those that like tinkering too, get pleasure so that's the bottom line, their cars their time their money. BUT I do have a 'Grumpy Old Man' take on some mods for general users. I agree there are no brainers ie stainless steel exhausts but spare me the excessive noise (intake too) for the sake of it. The engineering mods are more subjective. You takes your choice. I don't agree one bit that Italian roads are hotter & dustier and therefore require a more restrictive intake than the UK. Sandy desert areas yes. In fact I don't see anything restrictive about the OEM. It's huge efficient & quiet. Neither do I think there's any such thing as a Fiat 'blended' air intake specifically for EuroJap markets. Markets do have emission reqs not intake reqs. I was amazed the DeLorean lost 40bhp with the Californian emission controls. It's burnt gas that's regulated. I agree that the OEM air silencing 'may' just may hinder a insignificant tad but I'll retain my quiet and save untold bucks with smooth running. My contention is, bodge ups may well reduce efficiency by having the engine suck up warm air. Interfere with tick over too.
Continuing my G O M theme. Spare me any 17" wheels with rubber bands on they shake the fillings out of teeth driving over pimples. I have driven the same car with and without low profiles and I for one will pay NOT to have them. Spare me too the thought of fitting a turbo to a B. I've have paid thru the nose for ins & sucked petrol up like there's no tomorrow. The B is group 19now. The car suspension brakes engine were not designed to happily live with the extra performance, great for those that want to be different, not me. If as a fully fledged GOM I want real turbo go I'll buy a Porsche or something not be a guinea pig. The B is a pretty basic FWD 2 seater based on a down market small family car. Horses for courses. Then again replacement ICE is questionable. The only real pleasure using a B is hood down, well what's the point of having a insecure ragtop car vandalised and now a constant 'worry' for some Rockape to rip out the expensive 'jewels' which you can't hear properly anyway because of the wind roar. Now hardtops I can see value in for occasional use. Any cosmetic tarting up tastefully down I'm with you. I love sitting smelling and seeing dead cow seats. Maybe braided brake lines, upgrade the other brakes stuff that works all the time not pads that need getting up to temperature. Strutbrace good, new shocks excellent. I don't want to hear that LHD is a boon in the UK too because it's not, the blind spot with the hood up at oblique junctions is awful. Finally & grumpily I defy any B driver to outrun a modest family saloon because today they all got like stink and you'll lose your licence anyway. The B excels with the hood down and by being unique. Good luck to all that think differently and all those that have grey green orange or dull blue flog your cars and buy a proper coloured Red one or maybe Black.
Paul

I think the rolling road figures for the air intake system change (if done properly) are 132bhp -> 152bhp reported by at least two members. I certainly leave most family cars behind under acceleration or in hairpins without breaking the law, although that's not really the point of the Barchetta in many ways.

I agree that having driven over most of Europe, Italy doesn't pose any extra challenges for an air intake in my opinion.

I also agree that bigger wheels aren't better in and of themselves. In fact several people I know have found that they actually made things worse, even when racing (I'm talking in general not about the Brchetta).

I also share your caution about the turbo and the Barchettas roots, on the other hand I'm keeping an eye on KC3s experiences. Turbos are not an option for me anyway, but I am always curious :)

Anyway back to BIKER-BITZ last post:
Interesting pictures, it must have been quite an experience! I don't think you need retire from all of it yet though, my Dad still sprints and he's in his mid sixties.

The Turbo thing is academic don't know why I mentioned it really. Since 99.9% won't bother and as you say it IS interesting from my 'spectator' viewpoint. So's all the other stuff whether I agree or not, ain't my money either.

I must say too I find that B that Mr Biker Bitz now has (odd name ex bikeman?) looks the business as do the 'Past Life' ones. Then again I'm jealous of him too in being in the Dordogne and I'm not. I shall visit. I saw the Black B in DTR when I bought a replacement Air Filter casing off them at the time it looked the Perros Cojones then and now.

Interesting post about anti mods! I have to say when I got mine earlier in the year and it had the 17" wheels on it, I was not convinced - before driving it. I actually find them fine, and are great on the roadholding side. In saying that, where I am the roads are excellent with few potholes, and I only use it occasionally. If it was an everyday driver in a city then the 17"s would most likely be horrid.

As for upping the bhp, I can see why some would want to go that route. The B is pretty slow really. Good at the twistys, not so good in a straight line - but if you treat it as an old fashioned style sports car, then it is fabulous. More power just leads to trouble anyway, and who can now afford to fuel something that does sub 30s?

At the end of the day, each to their own. Turbos are intoxicating - having had Thema 16v turbos, and a Kappa Coupe 20vt and a Fiat Coupe 20vt, it is well addictive. Specially when you can play silly buggers with BMWs and the like.

But the B suits its character as is. If you want a 200bhp drop top, get a Honda S2000 or the like.

Finally, the Docs car is a real showpiece. It should be preserved in Fiat's museum!

Back