General Petrol smell on start up

Currently reading:
General Petrol smell on start up

Liam1804

Hi guys.

The cars a 2006 1.2 8v GP.

When I start the car up from cold I can smell stronge petrol/exhaust fumes, i can't smell anything inside the car, the smell is on the outside.

I can't say I've noticed this when it car is warm.

To me, it smells like overfueling.

Could it be manifold or flexi pipe gasket? And when its heats up it seals?

Anything else that could be the problem?

Hi guys.

The cars a 2006 1.2 8v GP.

When I start the car up from cold I can smell stronge petrol/exhaust fumes, i can't smell anything inside the car, the smell is on the outside.

I can't say I've noticed this when it car is warm.

To me, it smells like overfueling.

Could it be manifold or flexi pipe gasket? And when its heats up it seals?

Anything else that could be the problem?

'Maybe its Cold Outside'.. ;)

When everything on the car is down around ZERO degrees C

The car needs LOTS of fuel to tun well.. for a couple of minutes.. and will then lean off

If it runs SMOOTHLY.. I wouldnt be too worried..
If it chugs and chuffs
. Then yes ..it could be misfiring

What drop in MPG have you seen.. less than 10%..?

Last edited:
'Maybe its Cold Outside'.. ;)

When everything on the car is down around ZERO degrees C

The car needs LOTS of fuel to tun well.. for a couple of minutes.. and will then lean off

If it runs SMOOTHLY.. I wouldnt be too worried..
If it chugs and chuffs
. Then yes ..it could be misfiring

What drop in MPG have you seen.. less than 10%..?

No drop in MPG tbh.

I have noticed the exhaust sounds quiet throaty and I've noticed white smoke for the first couple of minutes. I got a feeling the white smoke/steam is because its a cheap backbox I fitted about 2 years ago, and its water inside. Because I cant see any weep/drain hole ĺike the original exhaust had.

I've tested the exhaust tonight by covering the tail pipe with a rag, there is pressure but I think there's a slight leak somewhere. And sounds like a slight blow from either the flexi or the centre pipe gasket to Cat.

The previous owner must of replaced the centre section because it looks newish, but after looking online, am I right in saying there should be a supporting bracket for the centre section by the flexi? I dont see one on mine. Would this put stress on the flexi?

I'm thinking the gasket or the flexi is slightly leaking.

Even if they are leaking it should not smell like petrol. Check the "overflow" tank's pipe, maybe it's clipped and there is where the smell's coming from.

Check the rubber pipes under the airbox. The small one runs down the back of the engine to the manifold, the big one runs across the top of the engine. The big one rots (Fiat produced an updated version), the small one breaks off. Check those to make sure they're OK

That sounds rather normal?

The engine runs rich on start up from Cold until it reaches a certain temperature this is to aid warm up of the catalyst
My 2017 Tipo 1.4 16,v does this as does most petrol's if experienced

Back