PC to PC File Transfer

Currently reading:
PC to PC File Transfer

Now I'm not the most technical person around, so apologies if the answer to this question is very simple.

I have about 1000 photos stored on my PC. It's an old Tiny PC and has been running really slowly recently despite defragmenting the HD and cleaning all the crap off it. My worry is that if it goes bang I will lose all the photos.

So I have bought a second HD, an old Compaq machine to back-up all my photos on. What would be the easiest way of connecting the two machines so I can transfer a copy of the files over? Is this even possible? I know I can copy to to discs and then to the other machine but this would take ages! Any tips?

You could use a crossover cable, if you have the correct port on the back of your computers.

If not you could use a pen drive or get a USB card reader and transfer the pics on to the card and plug it in to the new computer and transfer.

Easiest is a USB drive. You could get one that you could copy all your photos to - or just get a little (512mb) to copy from one machine to another.

You could get 2x ethernet (network) cards and a router/switch/hub and 2 network cables or a single cross-over cable. And transfer via that.

You could get 2 wireless cards, and make an ad-hoc wireless network between them.

Or finally for now you could install the other hard drive in your first machine and copy from disk to disk.

Whos this Ron guy?

I've just got home from work.. Takes me a while to return to human mode. USB stick is the easiest. Plus by the end of the copying you have a useful USB stick. Carry it with you - you never know when you'll use it next.

If you wanted both those computers on 'the net' then you would want to be considering a home network, but that's maybe something for the future for now.

edit: Or do as above (y)

I'd go with Hellcats suggestions (y)

You can buy 1GB pen/ flash/ memory stick drives now for little money (about £15), and they can also come in very handy too once you've finished your file transfers.

I've also seen USB stand alone hard drives, I think you can get 150GB for about £80. Simply plug in to the USB port and away you go.

I always back up my photos to CD as well as to a second hard disk. I just wait until I've taken enough photos to fit onto a blank CD, then burn them onto a CD. I also store all my photos in dated folders so it's easy to work out where I am when it comes to backing up.

I also mirror my hard drive by having a second slave hard disk installed for back up purposes only. I use Norton Ghost to mirror the drives, it's simple to use (y)

Either way, you're doing the right thing by backing up Steve. A hard drive is easy to replace. The contents, especially irreplaceable photos, can't be replaced.

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
1gb memory stick £7 or so, 2gb 11, 4gb £20, neoshop insane deals, all prices inclusive of P&P :)

You could of got a USB transfer kit, There about £6.99 from computer shops, There good as the software works on all versions and you can just leave the caples plugged in if you have PCs close to each other some not all will also work as a internet connection depending on OS. But networking it problem the best a Cross over cable and some messing with settings and you could just mount both hard drives on both machines no more plugging in and unplugging stuff, Just turn them on send the files your done.

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
The system i have for sale in the classifiieds at the moment has a Direct Sata 2 Plug in the back of it which i find really handy, Other then the fact you have to run a 4 Pin power plug out the back of your system to use it with Sata 2 Plug and play hard drives....

You can get the USB transfer cables kits from Dabs.com i think, Not too sure ive had mine for years and its never failed....

Back