Technical Parking sensors Fiat 500e

Currently reading:
Technical Parking sensors Fiat 500e

Mariachiara

Can anyone please help! I would like to retrofit parking sensors to my brand new Fiat 500 electric Icon. I was duped when I ordered it into thinking they came as standard and my horror the car didn’t have them when it was finally delivered to me after 8 months waiting.
Can they be retrofitted? They are sold on the Fiat Mopar website as accessory for my car but I don’t trust that website… has anyone ever retrofitted them?
My local mechanic says that I risk blowing the electrics of the car which will invalidate my warranty. He says that the sensors would have to be powered by tiny power that goes into the rear parking led light. Because it is an led light this has need for very little voltage and the sensors would be too much for this to be supported by that connection… please advice.

Can anyone please help! I would like to retrofit parking sensors to my brand new Fiat 500 electric Icon. I was duped when I ordered it into thinking they came as standard and my horror the car didn’t have them when it was finally delivered to me after 8 months waiting.
Can they be retrofitted? They are sold on the Fiat Mopar website as accessory for my car but I don’t trust that website… has anyone ever retrofitted them?
My local mechanic says that I risk blowing the electrics of the car which will invalidate my warranty. He says that the sensors would have to be powered by tiny power that goes into the rear parking led light. Because it is a led light this has need for very little voltage and the sensors would be too much for this to be supported by that connection… please advice.
Yes they very likely can be retrofitted, even electric cars still usually have a 12v system to run all the lights and accessories.

But as it’s a brand new car I would start by talking to your main dealer, if you start messing about with the car then they will likely invalidate your warranty and on an electric car that can get extremely expensive if you ever have a battery problem

Parking sensors used to be standard on Icon trim and Fiat dropped them for some reason. Mine definitely has them. The sensors can be retrofitted and the Mopar site reference is probably correct as they're a common part for a number of models. Definitely recommend a dealer fit for a car under warranty and, yes, they are powered by the 12v system, not the traction battery. You might have some recourse with the dealer if your can demonstrate that your purchase was dependent on a specification that you weren't providing with.

There are two different parking sensor ECUs, depending whether front & rear, or only rear is fitted. I imagine a FIAT dealer would need to do some initialisation requiring FIAT diagnostic equipment on fitting them.

Parking sensors used to be standard on Icon trim and Fiat dropped them for some reason. Mine definitely has them. The sensors can be retrofitted and the Mopar site reference is probably correct as they're a common part for a number of models. Definitely recommend a dealer fit for a car under warranty and, yes, they are powered by the 12v system, not the traction battery. You might have some recourse with the dealer if your can demonstrate that your purchase was dependent on a specification that you weren't providing with.
Thank you for your reply. What is the difference between 12v system and traction battery? The retrofit I’m hoping for is the one that requires minimum labour and not having to dismantle the whole car, upholstery and all. They would have to be started, ie connected to, by the rear parking led light coming on, which in turns kicks in when the car is put in reverse…: is this possible?

There are two different parking sensor ECUs, depending whether front & rear, or only rear is fitted. I imagine a FIAT dealer would need to do some initialisation requiring FIAT diagnostic equipment on fitting them.
I’m looking at just rear ones… flush fitting. What is the difference with ECUs?

Thank you for your reply. What is the difference between 12v system and traction battery? The retrofit I’m hoping for is the one that requires minimum labour and not having to dismantle the whole car, upholstery and all. They would have to be started, ie connected to, by the rear parking led light coming on, which in turns kicks in when the car is put in reverse…: is this possible?

12volts
Is the Car Battery under the bonnet we are all used to seeing.. Powers all the lights, accessories, heated seats, wipers etc
AND cranks the engine on a petrol/diesel/mild hybrid 😉
Charged by the vehicles Alternator or Dynamo.. Virtually maintenance free 🙂

TRACTION
Moving the weight of the car,
In this instance a massive battery.. Often 400/800 volts that you charge via a cable from your house, power post

fiat and a lot of other manufacturers who worked out that just fitting a single reversing camera was a lot cheaper.
12volts
Is the Car Battery under the bonnet we are all used to seeing.. Powers all the lights, accessories, heated seats, wipers etc
AND cranks the engine on a petrol/diesel/mild hybrid 😉
Charged by the vehicles Alternator or Dynamo.. Virtually maintenance free 🙂

TRACTION
Moving the weight of the car,
In this instance a massive battery.. Often 400/800 volts that you charge via a cable from your house, power post
Thank you. But if they are powered by the 12v battery does it mean they have to be connected to this battery and wires to be run all the way to this battery…. would it mean having to dismantle all the upholstery to run the wires!
OR, If they are powered by the charge that goes into the led parking light…, ie connected to this led light, would they blow the system as the led light only requires very little current… Sorry, I am really confused.

Thank you. But if they are powered by the 12v battery does it mean they have to be connected to this battery and wires to be run all the way to this battery…. would it mean having to dismantle all the upholstery to run the wires!
Sorry, I am really confused.
Let me try and make this simpler

The power needed for this option will be fed through wires already going to the rear of the car 👍

EXAMPLE : IF you wanted to fit a Towing socket for a Trailer or Caravan.. You would connect to the rear lights

The sensors will use Less power than that, 😉

Somebody already said your 500 may have the control box, or need it swapping as an upgrade

Study your order paperwork 🙂
Let us know what the options and specifications say 😉

Last edited:
Let me try and make this simpler

The power needed for this option will be fed through wires already going to the rear of the car 👍

EXAMPLE : IF you wanted to fit a Towing socket for a Trailer or Caravan.. You would connect to the rear lights

The sensors will use Less power than that, 😉

Somebody already said your 500 may have the control box, or need it swapping as an upgrade

Study your order paperwork 🙂
Let us know what the options and specifications say 😉
“somebody already said your 500 may have the control box, or need it swapping as an upgrade“
I don’t know what this is…

I bought the car from a dealer in the Isle of Wight but live in London now so I would have to find an authorised Fiat dealer in London that has absolute expertise on this car… I am despairing at finding one… I thought Glyn Hopkin was such dealer but I think no longer the case…? Any intel?

Whatever is needed to fit the MOPAR kit should be included in the kit, with instructions for connection. The wiring is probably already in the car, but there are two ECUs listed for the sensors (one for rear only, one for front and rear) which should also be included in the kit. It is possible that the setting-to-work will require FIAT diagnostic equipment, in which case the job would have to be done by a FIAT dealer.

Back