General Panda fun!

Currently reading:
General Panda fun!

Well the last week or so, my poor little panda has been driving up and down the country, hauling heavy loads! Went to glastonbury fest with numerous tents, food, beer, and people. ( a much lighter return journey haha!). Then I was "evicted" (end of tenancy) from the nice house with a garage :( So, without any recovery from the weekend, pretty much all my posessions were loaded into the panda! Here are some pictures of how crammed the car was (first 2 are before and after suspension photos and the other shows the space i had to live for 2 1/2 hours!)...

Attachments

• 1a - before loading up!.JPG
    1a - before loading up!.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
  • 1b - after loading up!.JPG
    1b - after loading up!.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
  • DSCI1143.JPG
    DSCI1143.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Oh yes, and on the way bk to somerset with all my stuff...clutch cable snapped in heavy traffic on the M4 on the outside lane!! :eek: I pulled over and fortunately had a spare old one (slightly frayed) in the boot. Fitted that in 10 mins, and that shocked the revovery truck that pulled up to find my car was ready to go!! haha, now there's a feel good situation. All they had to do was guide me out into the now fast moving traffic (sods law!). Not many cars that you can fix that quickly at the side of the road. I love my car soooo much.:slayer:

One thing about driving with a heavy load though. Jeees does she handle badly!! 80mph is NOT SAFE!! I was more shocked that the car was capable of reachin those speeds. That car is running very well atm! :cool:

Anyway, just thought I'd let you know the adventures that have been unfolding for chichi! Happy pandaring to you all too!!

Si

OMG, I thought we've had alot in a Panda before.

Hope you've got another place. Why did tenancy end:confused:

Jon.

Well I would've loved to have stayed but all my housemates were leaving and I dont want to live with strangers anymore. It is very stressfull when people you live with dont get along. Its time for me to settle down with my own place now and get myself a nice job that enables me to do silly things in pandas!! haha! Has to have a garage of course. I dont care about the house :slayer:

Si

Wow! :eek: It will be times that that when ill be missing the ole GMC pickup I used to have in Canada :p which makes me wonder if all that will fit in, how many people could you manage to fit in a panda???

haha, yes I could see my bean bags very well in the rear view mirror and there was just enough room left for a clothes drying rack to slide on top!

I could never be a panda destroyer :D Cant kill summit so cute yet so cool :slayer: Although keeping her original went out the window years ago, and there is some clever engine trickery in the pipework too. I am maintaining the panda simplicity though.

As for people in a panda, I've only ever had 5 people in the car so nothing illegal, and that was enough to cause discomfort!! haha

Si

Last edited:
Wish I'd taken a picture of mine when I moved out now, though I could cheat a little having a roof rack the size of my car :D (now founs to be leaking, grr!)

Top heavy Pandas really are not fun to drive quickly! Though passing people at 70 mph looking slightly less crouded than yours inside (I could see through the window!) with wood, bike and a huge chest of clothes strapped on top was fun!

Wish I'd taken a picture of mine when I moved out now, though I could cheat a little having a roof rack the size of my car :D (now founs to be leaking, grr!)

Top heavy Pandas really are not fun to drive quickly! Though passing people at 70 mph looking slightly less crouded than yours inside (I could see through the window!) with wood, bike and a huge chest of clothes strapped on top was fun!

Using a roof rack is indeed cheating :p Your centre of gravity was definately a couple of miles higher than mine though!!

Last edited:
I cant say I tried for a max speed, I was more aiming for a consistent 70 mph ... though the sat nav said 77mph top speed I think, so around 80mph with another 1.5 m^2 of area at the front (definately with the wind blowing some other direction other than head on!).

When I go home to change engines later this year I'll be able to tell you better what the max is :devil:

Well I managed 85mph on the clock (bout 80 on the sat nav) with that load. I think the reason the car was going so fast was the fact that the car was so much lower to the ground :eek: Woohoo!
Also, those side panels on ebay! :eek: I'd love them to be mk1 lol!! bet they go for more than £25 though :(
Si

Back