General Panda Camp 2014

Currently reading:
General Panda Camp 2014

I'm game regardless of if the car cemetery is happy for us to visit or not. Could do other stuff locally :confused:

Theres the crannog centre at the North end of loch tay. Basically a replica of when the locals used to build their houses out on the water to escape the midgies. You can practice making fire the Ray Mears way there. Or if your feeling adventurous we could climb a Munro :D The Ptarmigan ridge is good because once your up you stay high. A bit hairy in high winds though. Watersports & mountain biking as well.

Agreed :) the car cemetery would definetly be very interesting though as an added bonus :)

I will have to drive out there to speak to them. Not the kind of place to have a public telephone number. Still a day in the country won't do me any harm

Last edited:
Theres the crannog centre at the North end of loch tay. Basically a replica of when the locals used to build their houses out on the water to escape the midgies. You can practice making fire the Ray Mears way there.

This is a fascinating experience, worth an afternoon out for sure - recommended :thumbup:

Last edited:
June to August is the season for them roughly here is an info sheet: http://www.lochnesscottages.co.uk/midges-ticks.htm

by the way, Avon skin so soft is an excellent repellant for them!

This thread is sounding very exciting, i used to live in Perthshire along with a lot of other very northern scottish territories, i know of the car cemetery that is been discussed as my dad salvaged an old ford anglia engine from it.

Avon skin so soft i found to be a myth, there is a new product out called smidge that midge which i find works wonders Smidge That Midge Insect Repellent 75ml: Amazon.co.uk: Health & Personal Care
Midgies are fine if you "ignore them" is what the old foresters used to tell me, if you scratch once then you wont stop.

If wer heading to Perthshire I may be able to set us up in shall we say luxury accomodation for maybe £10more than camping as my very good friend and MG enthusiast is general manager at a large country house hotel there, and i just happened to be his head chef for a while so he owes me a few favours.

This event will definately be in the diary.

This thread is sounding very exciting, i used to live in Perthshire along with a lot of other very northern scottish territories, i know of the car cemetery that is been discussed as my dad salvaged an old ford anglia engine from it.

Avon skin so soft i found to be a myth, there is a new product out called smidge that midge which i find works wonders Smidge That Midge Insect Repellent 75ml: Amazon.co.uk: Health & Personal Care
Midgies are fine if you "ignore them" is what the old foresters used to tell me, if you scratch once then you wont stop.

If wer heading to Perthshire I may be able to set us up in shall we say luxury accomodation for maybe £10more than camping as my very good friend and MG enthusiast is general manager at a large country house hotel there, and i just happened to be his head chef for a while so he owes me a few favours.

This event will definately be in the diary.

Skin so soft has worked for me, but each to their own, I dare say something that is specifically designed to repel them would be better :)

I once went camping and used jungle repellant, they ate me alive, I think it was like a nice glaze for them :eek:

Skin so soft has worked for me, but each to their own, I dare say something that is specifically designed to repel them would be better :)

I once went camping and used jungle repellant, they ate me alive, I think it was like a nice glaze for them :eek:

Haha yeah repels everything jungle formula from charging rhinos, cobras mosquitos but never the Scottish midge. I have used skin so soft but I found tge midges didnt bite but got stuck in the tacky residue it leaves

Okay - you got me..

Too much excitement to resist with scrap and non-scrap cars, scenery, travel, company and adventure on offer.
Snatch trailer planned completion date is now 24th May, and the girls have been primed to paint like demons to have it ready for then.

100% DEET is a threat to plastics (and paint probably) but the wee mozies don't like it either, so that's the plan.

Thank you for doing the research and pitching so well Giacosa:slayer:

Just read this thread and like the way it's progressing. :)

After having such a great time last year Barbara and I are up for this, after all it's only an eight hour drive for us :p

Just hoping the date chosen doesn't clash with anything we can't miss.

Back