Styling panda abarth rally body kit???

Currently reading:
Styling panda abarth rally body kit???

Its pretty much the only way to do it as otherwise the supercharger would become something of a parasite.

Yup. Don't remember the exact figures but at high revs on a Ford GT the supercharger is costing the enging a fair bit of horsepower. 50bhp sticks in my mind for some reason. Could be completely wrong. In motorsport it's a big thing when you have 5bhp over the opposition. So to gain 50bhp (just an example) is pretty darn good.

Seem to remember the quote for the Jaguar XJR/XKR was that the engine produces 500bhp, but 100bhp is taken away to drive the compressor.

That's a lot!

Superchargers are notoriously inneficient. They can be as bad as 55% for a rootes type blower (as was fitted on my mr2 SC). The problem is its hard to say that the SC takes so much power to drive it because of the power it produces if that makes sense. An SC does have an advantage over a turbo though adn that is throttle response. All turbos lag to a degree and cannot match the throttle response of an NA. The SC is far better in this respect but still not quite a match for an NA in this respect.

You can measure exactly how much power a supercharger takes to drive it on a flow bench. Just run it up to normal max working speed at normal working pressure and measure away.

Obviously you can't do that on a car though!

back to the Q about were to get the kit..
I have been incontact with supergara and they dont sell.. i found a italien company that makes the cars and they could sell me a rear spoiler... well that was the only thing i was asking for.. but because they wanted a money trasf. to some strange bank.

so.. if any could say the company wont cheat me.. then ill order.!

oh there is a evo 1,4 with more than 140hp..! 157hp for the people!

ill stick with my diesel.! easyer to get some hp.!

Crapp, this body kit is the only one I like. All the others I have found is just to much!

Maybee we should make a list on what kind of kit there is out there?

Last edited:
....there was a system to disengage the supercharger at high revs....

How did this system work?

In my previous incarnation as a V8 Yank driver, there were always lots of people asking in the magazines how to do a 'Mad Max style' Supercharger....

For those who haven't seen it (if there are any!), Max's car has a Big Block V8 with a blower that can be engaged by a lever on the shifter and some clutch-type device that engages / disengages the SC mechanically....I can always remember the main response to those asking was....

'Don't be stupid, it can't be done' :eek:

Well it clearly can, so can anyone explain how? :D

You need to disengage the supercharger and bypass it, which obviously increases installation complexity. Another option not discussed is to use a Rotrex supercharger, which uses the compressor stage of a turbo and an epicyclic gearbox to drive it at the correct speed. The result is part way toward the efficiency of a turbo but mechanical drive from the engine and therefore a more linear power delivery than with a conventional turbo. Caterham did an example installation here http://cars.uk.msn.com/News/car_news_article.aspx?cp-documentid=5173793

In my previous incarnation as a V8 Yank driver, there were always lots of people asking in the magazines how to do a 'Mad Max style' Supercharger....

For those who haven't seen it (if there are any!), Max's car has a Big Block V8 with a blower that can be engaged by a lever on the shifter and some clutch-type device that engages / disengages the SC mechanically....I can always remember the main response to those asking was....

On the MK1 MR2 SC, there is a clutch used to engage the SC at below 8" vacuum. So with the twincharge kit you could get there was a controller that disengaged the SC once the turbo got going. Its a bit complex and really if you are thinking about twincharging you'd be much better off going for a well specced turbo installation as its simply not worth the extra complication and expense.

A rotrex supercharger looks very much like a conventional turbo and is basically a belt driven compressor. These kind of compressors work well at high-ish revs.

Perhaps if you are set on a supercharger installation, a twin screw (eaton type) should give the best of both worlds, ie a roots type blower gives the best midrange torque but runs out of steam at high revs, whereas a twin screw gives a good compromise between torque at low-ish revs and power at high revs.

But really a well specced turbo is always going to be more efficient simply because you don't get the drive losses. But, the trouble with a turbo is that it will cost you in throttle response, you will always get lag between adjusting the throttle and response from the engine, whereas although a supercharged engine is never going to be quite as sharp as an NA, it is fairly close. Effectively throttle response is not comprimised too badly by a SC installation.

back to the Q about were to get the kit..
I have been incontact with supergara and they dont sell.. i found a italien company that makes the cars and they could sell me a rear spoiler... well that was the only thing i was asking for.. but because they wanted a money trasf. to some strange bank.

so.. if any could say the company wont cheat me.. then ill order.!

oh there is a evo 1,4 with more than 140hp..! 157hp for the people!

ill stick with my diesel.! easyer to get some hp.!

Really> How do they do it and how much does it cost? Is it on a standard ECU?:confused:

Can't remember the mechanics of it but I think as has been suggested the supercharger was disengaged at some point when the turbo was sufficiently spooled up so as not to lose mechanical efficiency.

Back