Technical Panda 169 Ignition Switch

Currently reading:
Technical Panda 169 Ignition Switch

My Panda 169 4x4 doesn’t have an auxiliary position on the ignition switch It’s a bit of a nuisance because I can’t listen to the radio unless the engine’s running. Is there a way I can adapt the wiring?

Strange

The radio normally works with the ignion on, although not normally recomended

The radio will also come on for 20 minutes (programmable max) if you push the radio on button, even without the ignion key,

Is yours the factory head unit

Strange

The radio normally works with the ignion on, although not normally recomended

The radio will also come on for 20 minutes (programmable max) if you push the radio on button, even without the ignion key,

Is yours the factory head unit
It’s not factory and I don’t even know the brand. It’s very good though, touch phone reversing camera etc.
It’s the ignition switch that I can’t understand.
D70D30E4-2CD6-49AA-8749-9BBA2D125E6D.jpeg

Attachments

• E956AB3D-1780-4258-A908-C1A4BB620338.jpeg
    E956AB3D-1780-4258-A908-C1A4BB620338.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 32
It has been wired in wrong.
The new radio will have standard DIN plug for power. That expected a permanent live, and a switched live, plus earth, lighting, speed, an output to electric aerial and earth.
The car will confuse this, by having a permanent live and earth, plus two tiny wires for the data, as the car communicates using Canbus.
The radio is not coping with whatever is connected,so is not giving you the 'On' without ignition.

Correct wiring would include an adaptor, trying to hide somewhere behind the unit, that acts as interpreter between the digital car signals, and analogue expectations of the radio. That would give you the speed signal, if the Nav in the new radio needs it, and a lighting input, to perhaps dim it at night. Fitting is fiddly, and sometimes difficult with limited space. An alternative, mentioned on here often, is to take a switched feed from the 12v socket.

Thanks for the information.
I removed the set and found a single wire where it gets the power from. As you say it should get it’s power from the harness, so I’ll see if I can sort it tomorrow.

There's two ways to fit aftermarket head units, was it already in the car or have you fitted it

1/,A fiat to iso adapter with sperate ignition switched wire, cheap but requires tapping into a ignition switched wire

Or

2/ A fiat to iso adapter with canbus adapter, expensive but plug and play,

If 1/ was just missing the ignition switched wire tap it should power on and off manually even without the ignition switched on but will not switch off with the engine

Seeing as this is not what's happening, I have no idea what's going on

Unless you are sure what wires do what it's not worth just trying and hoping for the best, you may get lucky but it could slso end in tears

We need more information to try and sort this out

Installation manuals for the head unit

What sort of fiat to iso adapter has been used

Last edited:
There is a

In car entertainment section to the forum ( I. C. E.)

More people that have already followed a similar path will be here

Click below

Back