Tuning Panda 130S Turbo i.e.

Currently reading:
Tuning Panda 130S Turbo i.e.

yes, very nice and neat. That must have been an absolute mission! Wish I could read Dutch to understand the full magazine article..
The thing that surprises me though, is that he has got the rear (directional) tyres the wrong way around :rolleyes:
I think the reason he didn't push the performance further, is that he must have wanted the car as reliable as possible. I tend to agree with that, as it looks like a car that could be used every day.

I just think that putting the extra weight where it is will make an already poor handling car quite lacklustre to drive. Fine in a straight line on dry roads, but torque + understeer + turbo lag sound like frustration and danger to me in real world driving. Modern FIAT turbo engines that act more like N/A engines are perhaps better, with the TwinAir being right up there as an interesting conversion going forward.

If someone offered me 20HP on a plate with no penalties for the Panda, I wouldn't take it. It would add very little to the driving fun and little to actual performance on a normal road or small track either.

Looking at the other stuff the designer gets up to, I get the impression that he is not interested in all this stuff anyway, he just likes the engineering challenge.

I just think that putting the extra weight where it is will make an already poor handling car quite lacklustre to drive. Fine in a straight line on dry roads, but torque + understeer + turbo lag sound like frustration and danger to me in real world driving. Modern FIAT turbo engines that act more like N/A engines are perhaps better, with the TwinAir being right up there as an interesting conversion going forward.

If someone offered me 20HP on a plate with no penalties for the Panda, I wouldn't take it. It would add very little to the driving fun and little to actual performance on a normal road or small track either.

Looking at the other stuff the designer gets up to, I get the impression that he is not interested in all this stuff anyway, he just likes the engineering challenge.

This guy has worked for Dutch sport car builder "Donkervoort", so he is familiar with lightweight.

http://igorschlebaum.com/panda.htm

panda68.jpg

panda%20motor.jpg

panda%20t.jpg

panda42.jpg

panda%20break.jpg

My bike puts around 90bhp onto the road from a package weighing 1/4 ton and all that power goes through one tyre.

It's great to live with so with the right sort of chassis work I'd expect that Panda to be a hoot.

Last edited:
Back