Technical Panda 1.2 Easy intermittent fault fix

Currently reading:
Technical Panda 1.2 Easy intermittent fault fix

Thought I would post this in case it's helpful to someone. My brother has a 2017 1.2 Panda & recently had the car go into limp mode.after being stuck in traffic. Also accompanied by ESC light & tyre pressure light before engine warning light came on. Garage mechanic diagnosis was dirty MAP sensor and the car seemed ok after a clean..tested by a 25 minute run. Unfortunately a couple of days later the problem reappeared after another traffic jam. The mechanic checked again& found what sounds like a puddle of emulsion in the locality of the MAP sensor. After cleaning this out the car seems ok again. My brother has been locked down for the last few months (as we all have) and has only used the car perhaps once a week to get to local shops...the theory is the car's never got fully warm, emulsion has built up and eventually fouled the MAP sensor.... mechanic reckoned there was a bit of a design fault as there is a depression near the sensor which lets the emulsion residue pool. Time will tell if this is right but it seems plausible. Apologies for any lack of detail as this is all second hand...or third hand?

Hi.
I'd agree. These engines run a little too cool especially here in the UK and made worse in winter and doing short runs. Fit an oil catch tank or remove the pipe from the air cleaner end that goes back to the cam cover and route it round the back of the engine, avoiding the air con pulley. OK it may be a bit smelly but this will totally stop the sludge building up in the manifold, give it a few weeks and you'll notice a boost in power.
Incidentally change the oil more often with these days of winter and short runs, aim to do a decent run every now and again.

Hi.
I'd agree. These engines run a little too cool especially here in the UK and made worse in winter and doing short runs. Fit an oil catch tank or remove the pipe from the air cleaner end that goes back to the cam cover and route it round the back of the engine, avoiding the air con pulley. OK it may be a bit smelly but this will totally stop the sludge building up in the manifold, give it a few weeks and you'll notice a boost in power.
Incidentally change the oil more often with these days of winter and short runs, aim to do a decent run every now and again.

I fitted a catch can on our 2011 1.2 and its catching a lot of water, (c. 1ml per mile) but the engine is now totally sludge free. I am going to change the thermostat and will report the effect this has on the water collection. Our 2014 car has the tank fitted and I am waiting delivery of the hose needed to connect it. Its only showing very slight signs of emulsion in the oil since its costly trip to the garage. On the engines with an evaporation cannister and solenoid I think the catch can is a vital addition as these parts are expensive!. Hopefully the summer will mean less emptying will be required.

Hi.

I am going to reduce the air flow to the rad in cold weather in future and see how this affects the moisture issue. I always used to blank off part of the airflow on cars in the winter, but have stopped doing this on these much newer cars as the potential to upset the ECU sensors seemed a potential issue.

If I could I'd fit a thermostat that opens 5 degrees or so higher. I think this would make a huge difference.
I have a catch tank and it collects a fair amount of water. I drain it every couple of months and wash it out with detergent and hot water twice a year.

Hi.
Also remember that cool running and condensation gets into the sump and the oil, it often lies at the bottom of the sump and when circulating round the system can increase wear. So change the oil more often, also a higher running temperature will allow the water content to evaporate easier.

Back