Technical Paintwork / corrosion / aluminium

Currently reading:
Technical Paintwork / corrosion / aluminium

Nicb

Hi everyone,
Does anyone know if it is technically acceptable to mount aluminium fittings on and through the vans galvanised bodywork. I've seen aluminium angle on roofs and aluminium brackets mounted on van sides. I'd really appreciate your views before I put my foot in it and create a corrosion Hotspot.

Mount them on a bed of PU or MS bonding sealant the only metal to metal contact tgen is at the fixingsif any are required. Can recommend wurth power bond and seal bond strength is amazing.

That's what my mate suggested as well.
I've used Sikaflex 252 in the past but that was only with plastic fitings.

Theae will be my first aluminium to galvanised steel attachments.
Does anyone else have an opinion, please.
Thanks Nick

That's what my mate suggested as well.
I've used Sikaflex 252 in the past but that was only with plastic fitings.

Theae will be my first aluminium to galvanised steel attachments.
Does anyone else have an opinion, please.
Thanks Nick

All the aluminium fittings on my van, including two solar panel frames, are bonded with a 4mm layer of PU sealant/adhesive between the aluminium and the vehicle body.

I used Dekasyl MS2, but some variants of Sikaflex are also suitable. Other PU bonding sealants are often available from motor factors more cheaply.

Did you just use adhesive by itself or more likely with through panel fixings?

Did you just use adhesive by itself or more likely with through panel fixings?

I used four stainless steel screws in each panel frame as well, but many people only use the bonding sealant. It is a similar compound to the bonding adhesives used to fix windscreens and join body panels etc.

Back