Technical Overheating at high speeds

Currently reading:
Technical Overheating at high speeds

christ, makes me worry about mine

go over 60 for any length of time over-heating light comes on. Had head gasket (no idea if skimmed), cambelt and service today and yet on drive hom via A38....light came back on, pulled in immediatly. I know the fan works and i know there is coolant and oil.....

i was hoping mine is just a thermostat as that didnt get replaced......but i thought i had bad luck.

Replaced radiator a couple days ago and immediately noticed that fan kicks in for very short times. Still need to test it on highway/mountains. Hopefully it will be fine.

Sort of. I'd say it's good now on highway, even if temperature raises, it drops quite quickly. On heavy loads like when driving up on mountains it still heats up, but much less than before. So it's a big improvement. It's possible that there's still some crap on the cooling system walls inside the engine. Later I'll try some more flushing with radiator flusher, maybe it will help improve the situation.

i have problem going 120+ the needle gets 1mm above mid scale, but if I drive it 50km on 120+ needle gets 3-4 above mid scale.

I will look for air locks.hm.

Iv recently flushed mine, theres still a considerable amount of rubbish in there after 2 full rad flushes (using the additive) and pumping some 300 litres of water through the engine, got one more water pumping session till the water runs clear again and im calling it quits, using a camera I took some shots into where the thermostat is bolted, and it is covered in 'orange' gunk that used to be antifreeze.

I can post them if you want them for comparison?

Exact symptoms for mine were initially a guzzling of fluid and overheating quickly in traffic (found to be a failed thermostat gasket allowing coolant out, air in but not enough to stop the system pressurising).

This lead to the radiator being full of air and some 3 litres of coolant needed to top it up to be suitable for running.

All was fine for another couple of months then the symptoms started coming back so I stripped it into as many pieces as possible and flushed vigorously; cleaned off the oil and grim and smoothed off the mating faces with wet and dry and applied an instant gasket product that will form to fill the gaps and all is fine now running on the correct mixture I arent losing any fluids.

Airlock removal tip: if you cant get fluid into the heater matrix but have got 3 litres in then move the car so the radiator is above the heaters and allow gravity to fill the heater matrix through removing the bleed screws and topping up until fluid comes out and use the squezzing top and bottom tubes to help shift air.

The round container is from the first emptying of the coolant system. The car has no record of a coolant change ever, so I can only assume that the original coolant had just been topped up and up till I decide to tackle it. The thermostat picture is what it lookde like after washing it off in a bucket (is alot cleaner now) and the square container is what the first rad-flush additive bottle loosened up out of the engine after flushing as much out with water as possible, the thermostat gasket view pictures are after flushing with water then after the first rad additive flush (the darker one was taken at night).

Attachments

• 16082008159.jpg
    16082008159.jpg
    747.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 19082008164.jpg
    19082008164.jpg
    609.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 19082008168.jpg
    19082008168.jpg
    886.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 21082008169.jpg
    21082008169.jpg
    749.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 21082008170.jpg
    21082008170.jpg
    656.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
When I first drained cooling system it looked very similar.

I also have some pictures to share. The first one is old radiator when I took it out to do some flushing with water. And other 2 are from water pump change.

Attachments

• DSC01866.JPG
    DSC01866.JPG
    270.4 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC01903.JPG
    DSC01903.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC01908.JPG
    DSC01908.JPG
    159.6 KB · Views: 5
i had the same problem with my cinq sporting overheating problemes. The thermostat on the punto 55 is the same AS THE cinq sporting if you go the cinq guides and you can find out haw to modfiy your thermostat so your moter runs abit cooler. so it will open at arond 86 ish becos the origanl thermostat opens at arond 96 ish to the point your moters boling

Last edited:
:bang: Wife went with the car on highway, for a moment didn't put attention to the temperature and it overheated again. :bang:

I decided that this time I'm going to fix it myself. So got it towed home on Saturday and yesterday started to take the engine apart.

Apparently it will need more cooling system flushing with additives since there was some rubbish in the radiator and when I took off the thermostat I saw that inside it's all rusty.

But first I need to fix the head gasket. Yesterday got stuck because of two things. First is very tight sump plug. It's impossible to undo it with just the alen key, it needs an extension. I already figured out what I can use for this, will try it in the evening.

The second is head bolts. I'll have to get some pipe style socket, since I don't want to apply too much force on my socket wrench as it may break the ticking thing (I already broke one like this).

Back