Technical Voltage at battery high

Currently reading:
Technical Voltage at battery high

GeoffCampbell

Hi everyone, newbie here.

OK, this is a slightly weird problem. From the "no good deed goes unpunished" file, there's a lad locally has just passed his test, and he owns a 56 plate Punto 1.2 (presumably therefore a Mk 2, I'm not familiar with the model ranges?). This was sitting outside his house for a while, then the MoT and tax expired, so I said he could drop it into our yard to get it off the road while he sorted himself out.

Having a reasonably well equipped workshop here, and knowing my way around a car, I volunteered to fit a new battery and give the car a bit of a service, ready for him to get it MoT'd. The old battery was hosed, after it had been left to go flat a few times.

So, new battery in, start the car up, and find that the power steering has failed while it was sat idle. While investigating that, I found that there were none of the expected C100x power steering codes registered, but there were codes for P0500 Speed Sensor and P0560 System Voltage. Clear the codes, restart the car, and they come back again, so there's definitely a problem, not just a hangover from the old, knackered battery. I read that speed sensor problems can fox the power steering, so that's a useful avenue for future investigation.

Now the weirdness - measuring the voltage across the battery terminals, I found around 12.5v with the engine stopped, but then got 18.1v with the engine idling. Don't think I've ever seen that on a car with an alternator, in many years of tinkering. I have seen it on bikes at higher revs, they have very basic generators and simple regulators that can fail.

My immediate suspicion would be that the alternator has failed in some new and exciting fashion, but does anyone have any other ideas?

Last edited:
Hi :)

The voltage regulator is just a bolt.on part..

Not sure if that has / is having an effect on 'body control' sensed systems though..

I bought a similar laid.up punto.. alternator didnt charge... ( so instant PAS failure ) it would need 3500 rpm to 'wake.up' on occasions.. for weeks it would behave normally

So maybe they are 'weak' ?

Hi :)

The voltage regulator is just a bolt.on part..

Not sure if that has / is having an effect on 'body control' sensed systems though..

I bought a similar laid.up punto.. alternator didnt charge... ( so instant PAS failure ) it would need 3500 rpm to 'wake.up' on occasions.. for weeks it would behave normally

So maybe they are 'weak' ?
Ah, that's interesting. I wonder if I can buy a new one separately? I shall do some hunting and report back.

Ah, that's interesting. I wonder if I can buy a new one separately? I shall do some hunting and report back.

All my alternators have been Marelli..

But worth checking the brand you have

Its basically a plastic block that carries the control side..

Brushes..regulator..and connectors

And is held onto the alternator body with 2 x screws

Good luck. let us know how it turns out?
Job's a good 'un. Fitted a new alternator (£118 from eBay), voltage is now 13.5v at tickover, 14.2v at 1,500rpm. Easy enough job on a two post lift, would have been a bit of a ball-ache at ground level, perhaps.

Even better, cleared the ECU fault codes, and now the power steering works properly. I'll take that...

Back