General outer track rod

Currently reading:
General outer track rod

Baglady1990

One job always leads to another
apologies if im starting another thread but could not find any others!?
seeing as I have now replaced almost everything else (suspension) im wondering if I should also replace both outer track rod ends?

the boots do look ok as far as I can see however they could also be 2011 parts.. seeing as my arms were! these probably are too
yuck.gif
and I would prefer to replace now

are they straight forward to replace? ive noticed they seem to screw on?...
would I need to get alignment after?or tracking??

would I need to get alignment after

Yes, the front wheel alignment must be readjusted after fitting new track rod ends.

the boots do look ok as far as I can see

Have an assistant rock the steering wheel gently from side to side (with the weight of the car on its wheels) and watch the balljoints - there should be no noticeable free play. This is what the tester will do at MOT time.

If they're good, personally I wouldn't bother replacing them until you need to. If you do, beware rusted nuts making the job harder than it should rightly be - you've been there before. Otherwise, it's a straightforward job; you'll need one of these to break the joint.

If there is any problem with the track rod ends, it's almost certain to be picked up during an MOT; it's one of the very basic checks.

Last edited:
Yes, the front wheel alignment must be readjusted after fitting new track rod ends.

Have an assistant rock the steering wheel gently from side to side (with the weight of the car on its wheels) and watch the balljoints - there should be no noticeable free play. This is what the tester will do at MOT time.

If they're good, personally I wouldn't bother replacing them until you need to. If you do, beware rusted nuts making the job harder than it should rightly be - you've been there before.

If there is any problem with the track rod ends, it's almost certain to be picked up during an MOT; it's one of the very basic checks.
I will do the steering wheel test like you suggested if all ok I’ll leave alone for now! Like you say I’ll wait till they need doing!
If not then I’ll look at changing them .. just watched a tutorial on changing punto ones .. I would presume it’s a similar or same process!?

I will do the steering wheel test like you suggested if all ok I’ll leave alone for now! Like you say I’ll wait till they need doing!

If not then I’ll look at changing them .. just watched a tutorial on changing punto ones .. I would presume it’s a similar or same process!?

I have a ball joint splitter but found it really difficult to use until I watched a mechanic just hit the arm with a hammer. I do that now!

I have a ball joint splitter but found it really difficult to use until I watched a mechanic just hit the arm with a hammer. I do that now!

I wondered what that vice looking object was!!? a ball joint splitter eh! Yes I think most of the garages round my way work with a hammer also ?

I need new pads on the front about 2mm left but no wear warning

There's a well known corollary to Murphy's Law: the pad with the least wear is always the one that carries the warning wire. :rolleyes:

Personally I don't like them, as they give you a false sense of security and encourage sloppy maintenance (not checking both sides properly at service time).

For the 500, you have a choice; you can fit pads for the Panda. They're identical, apart from not having the warning wire.

Checked mine .. no movement when wheel is gently swayed so I’m guessing they are ok for now... the boots look ok too
You never know if they could have been replaced at some point prior to myself Owning
I swear when the day comes that I need a new 500 .... my examination of the car will take a good couple of hours ? knowing what I know NOW!

Back