Technical Rodents chewing holes in fuel line twice in six months!

Currently reading:
Technical Rodents chewing holes in fuel line twice in six months!

Mazfloyd1

I have a 2013 Fiat 500 lounge soft top 850. I had to have my fuel line replaced in June this year after a large fuel leak. The garage didn’t check if there was rodent damage. This time it was clearly visible after my second large fuel leak. I’ve taken pictures which clearly show bite marks all along the plastic pipe. This has been replaced today but fiat will likely backtrack on warranty as when the pipe goes back to them the damage is clear so it will be another £249! My boss also has a fiat 500 which this year had even worse rodent damage which cost over £2000. He claimed on his insurance. We both think that our staff carpark which is in the middle of a forest is where the damage has occurred. It seems that fish something or other may be used in the manufacture of the plastic which is obviously attractive to wildlife. There are several posts in the USA of this happening and not just to fiats and a suggestion was to cover with some sort of metal tubing. My garage is happy to fit it. Having seen under my car on ramps and how fragile this pipe is I’m amazed. And they’ve told me that all car fuel pipes are like this. So my question is has anyone who this may have happened to managed to find a good metal flexible pipe to cover the plastic fuel line. I can’t give up my job and I need to park in the staff carpark! It still has the sand down from my leak in june!

Attachments

• IMG_8102.jpeg
    IMG_8102.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG_8101.jpeg
    IMG_8101.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 41
Hi thats an interesting problem! had a think about it and could not think of anything automotive to cover your original plastic fuel line, but a couple of beers later this came to me how about a length of stainless steel shower hose pipe? guess it depends on the outside diameter of your fuel line vs the in side diameter of the shower pipe but it might be possible!?.

Also having myself had my cars old BRAKE LINES replaced with copper tube by my local garage it might be possible for a garage to replace the majority of your plastic line with copper with just a plastic or rubber joining piece at each end where it attaches to the pump and fuel rail you could at least ask to see if its possible!.
sure hope you solve it! keep us informed please!.

Last edited:
Perhaps this, slip over ? Like a long metal spring

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I feel that there is a reasonable argument that the car being fitted with a fuel pipe that appears to attract rodents is unreasonable. This is a foreseeable result of the selection by the manufacturer of an unsuitable material which is therefore unfit for purpose. Fitting the same again is would seem to likely to result in the same thing occurring. I think you should write to or speak to Fiat cutomer service and say so. Unless you have something that has moved in to your ccar because it is put or left somewhere negligent then the manufacturer is morally bound to provide a solution or the car is unfit for purpose. I would have a word with Trading standards and tell them if you think there is an issue. I would hope that Fiat would take not and at the very least help find the solution even if they try and say its not their fault. Its reasonable that peole might park in a wooded place, even just if visiting, and its reasonable to expect that the car would with stand this experience especially where safety related itmes are concerned.

Warranty or not I would not fit the same again and would seek an aftermarket solution for the parts. Somewhere in my piles of stuff I have some copper sheet on a roll. Thinner than a sheet of metal but many times stronger than a foil. If you get stuck and would like some to wrap around the pipe pm me on here and I will post you some.

I would also suggest that a battery powered ultrasonic rodant deterrant might be in order. I have just bought one made and sold by The Big Cheese who do rate and mouse traps and poison as well. It was about £10 so worth a try to defend you car. I think they may help.

Finally you can see the direct results of the economic dissater in which we live, has got so bad Squirrels are also finding it so hard they have to go round knicking fuel for their scooters, like common criminals. We should start a revolution if its this bad! Do vote for a change and encourage the rodents to do the same!

You also get cables with anti rodent sleeving, it's some kind of meshed fibre that they dont like to chew as it catches their teeth. Might be possible to get something to sleeve fuel line.

It's impressive what a rat can do, we had a fault on an RF cable, that turned out to have been attacked by a rat, and not only was the outer jacket gone, the copper scrrened braiding was gone too, leaving the white inner insulation. I'd have thought they'd have gone for the softer insulation rather then the copper shielding:

rat-cable.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for all your input. I think initially I’ll try the rat sound repellant thing suggested. I’m also going to pop into my garage and chat with them about your suggestions to see which they think will work. Thanks again.

It's impressive what a rat can do, we had a fault on an RF cable, that turned out to have been attacked by a rat, and not only was the outer jacket gone, the copper scrrened braiding was gone too, leaving the white inner insulation. I'd have thought they'd have gone for the softer insulation rather then the copper shielding
Desperately hungry rats will eat just about anything. I've even seen old lead water pipes chewed through by them.

Back