OT - rotties to be added to the dangerous dog list

Currently reading:
OT - rotties to be added to the dangerous dog list

Rob, i agree with you, and Nige wholeheartedly

the only thing that irks me is the stereotype of youngsters with kids, if my missus and i go out and take her little boy (10 and a half months) out, i get all kind of looks as does she, im 23 and shes 18 (19 in a week) the only reason she did not terminate was because she felt she couldnt go through with it, which we now know she could, although not easily, but it had to be done

ok, the tribute being written in what could well ave been swahili (sp) kind of said it all in the circumstances, and having a kid and a rotty at the age of 18 and leaving the kid in the care of even younger people is not a good idea imo, selective breedings time is getting closer

Andy_sx

I agree and disagree with lots of opinions in this thread but people, me included, will always stereotype, while I also thought along the same lines as Rob “An 18(barely) year old mother with a child one year old. The father is 20 and does not live with mother and child. The baby is in the care of the mother's 16 year old sister who is also looking after her own sisters, aged 6 & 7. The baby is being held by the 7 year old.” You also have to look at it a different way…

“18 year old mother”.. legally old enough to be married, have sex, have children, have a mortgage, have a loans etc etc
“20 year old father who does not live with mother”…….. again legally old enough to be married, have sex, have children, have a mortgage, have a loan etc etc and lots of people get divorced / live apart for reasons we don't know about.
“The baby is in the care of the mother's 16 year old sister” legally old enough to look after a child
“The baby is being held by the 7 year old” again not against the law and nothing wrong with it in it's self.

There are so many questions you could ask but with out all the facts, and not just what papers wish to print, who am I to make assumptions on what happened on that night? Most people will have an opinion on this and in which way she chooses to express herself. At the end of the day she is a mother (regardless of age) grieving for the loss of her child, and I like any other parent can only imagine what she is going through.

Ratty3.jpg

OK you must have had a sense of humour to get this far. Its now gone wrong but here is a technical (ish) guide on the common ailments and what to do about them.

"At the end of the day she is a mother "

Was a mother! Now isn't due to a moment of stupidity.

A seven year old shouldn't be left alone with a dog it hardly knows, but a seven year old in charge of/carrying of a baby, left alone with a rottweiler?!

Mark.
Council estate lad.
And proud of it!
A battle of wits with the unarmed is no fun!

Member of the Guild of Experienced Motorists.
8249897904314983eb8bc1.gif

Again not wanting to get in an argument but how do you know she did not know the dog? Not saying I would leave my daughter with any dog alone, I have a English Springer spaniel he is such a lovely dog and I trust him but would or do I leave him alone with my daughter? NO.

Im not saying it was not stupid thing to do because it was, but not knowing all the facts …

Ratty3.jpg

OK you must have had a sense of humour to get this far. Its now gone wrong but here is a technical (ish) guide on the common ailments and what to do about them.

OZ, just read your comment about the RSPCA being the only people who could allow you to have a pet and i'd have to say i totally disagree. The RSPCA told my family we couldn't have a cat - purely because we refused to have a cat flap!

in all airness there should be no dangerous dogs list.

they should simply convert the dangerous dogs list into a list of animals that a license or something must be obtained in order to own one legally. like if someone would like to own a bull mastif or rotty they should meet certain criteria and bear certain competence when it comes to understanding the power of the dog and the damage it can do to someone if given a chance.

any opinions on the above?

Dogs eh?

I don't know a lot about them tbh but have lived with my partner and her two Labradors for three years. One thing I have learnt in that time is you can never take a canine for granted and the training never ends.
From lap dogs to ridgebacks - they only want one thing and thats the security that comes from having a pack leader. Without that lead they WILL take matters into their own hands. With the baby getting more attention than the dog and the dog thinking it was Alpha Male of the pack it was only a matter of time before the situation got out of hand.

Whoever's fault it is still innocent lives have been lost.
I hate all dogs bigger than my ankle, sorry if i offend but i do. I cross the street to avoid them, im that afraid.
Summit should be done like licenses for these dogs and only competent ppl aloud them.
some sort of test perhaps.
and im so not going there with the teenager mothers.

yeah i'd have to agree Emma (despite my love of dogs), the sad thing is that not so long ago we did require licences for dogs.

@ Ed - Why would you refuse to have a cat flap? If you are out and it's chucking it down with rain is it fair to expect the cat to stay outside? Granted the cat will more than likely find somewhere to hole up but still.......
The fact that they refused you a cat based on your refusal to have what they consider to be a standard requirement just goes to prove my point. They have the welfare of the animal as their number 1 concern. A breeder would have sold you a cat and not cared if you had a flap or not.
Not saying all breeders are bad but at the end of the day their number 1 concern is profit and then welfare of the animal despite many of them having very high welfare standards. For example, I knew a dog breeder once who went ballistic at my then girlfriend for spending £1000 on an hysterectomy operation on her 9 year old mongrel saying that it wasn't worth it and to just get another dog.
As for licences - absolutely and should apply to ALL animals and be administered by the RSPCA for a charge to the owner. For those who will no doubt say "But why should I pay for that?!" why do farmers have to pay for inspections on their animals and maintain a standard of care set down by law? "I can't afford it!" - If you can't afford it then you can't afford to take proper care of a pet and shouldn't have one.
The RSPCA standards are there to care for the welfare of the animal and to enable you to get the maximum enjoyment from owning a pet.
Personally, I would love to have a cat but I'm out at work all day, tend to go on holiday and weekends away a lot and no-one is at home when I'm not there. As such, knowing I can't give the right level of care and attention I don't have a cat. It really does annoy me that people see owning a pet as their right not as the privelidge that it is.
/endrant.

ozric.jpg

"Doctor said to give up Keee-Babs. I said 'No, no-no'"
cheers.gif

My Members Page

re

totally agree

as a farmers son i know every animal you own has to have an ear tag with a unique number so it can be identified and a passport to go with it to show the movements right through out its life.

my parents farm isnt that big but its easy enough to do for 100 or so dairy cows - that i might add my mum knows every one by a name so you cant say they arent treated like pets! - and as Oz said they are inspected every 6 months by the ministry for agriculture. and have to have regular TB checks etc.

@oz - forgive me, i should have added that the cat effectively had a house of its own because we have a proper stone outhouse which cunningly had a block missing to allow entry and exit.

a tip to all, watch 'the dog wisperer'.

that guy knows his stuff, you pick up some right tips from an hour sesh.

god damn it i hoped no one picked up on that! a mere typographical error and in no way a comment about my sexual orientation (which IS towards women by the way!)

Nothing annoys me more than some toby regularly trying to walk their dog, which is more than half their height, and almost the same weight as them!

I wholeheartedly look forward to the day, regardless of how remote, of when there is some sort of effective vetting procedure for potential dog owners - even in the crudest sense (it would be a start!).

Oh, and referring to the original post of "rotties" being added to the dangerous dog list...that would just be silly :) The above would make so much more sense!

loosecannon_sig_1_.jpg

"I've had a wonderful time - but this wasn't it."

re

the dog whisperer is awesome lol

as he says dogs have no idea what your human words are, they get to recognise them i agree. but at end of the day they are pack animals with that in their nature

I too have a Rottweiler (who is sat beside me now!) and he is gentle as anything, he actually stands beside my two nieces aged 5 and 3 and he guards them. But, there is no way i would leave them alone with him just incase he turned. A child should be supervised with any dogs presence and if the animal in question is known to have a mean streak then it would be far better to keep them apart - height and eye to eye contact etc can set any dog off. So once again it boils down to resposible dog ownership, resposible parenting and above all common sense, which seems to be on the demise these days. How many kids have you seen out alone walking a staffy?

In my opinion dangerous dogs should not be allowed in the same space as any child. No matter how tame the animal is it takes a second to turn and grab the childs face by which time its too late and then you get the usual "he wouldn't normally hurt anyone" story that we seem to be getting in the news more frequently.

Probably not the view of some but thats my 2p's worth.

and again today another rottweiler attack. im waiting to hear the full storie about it!

rascalsig.jpg