OT - is off new car shopping today..... suggestions?

Currently reading:
OT - is off new car shopping today..... suggestions?

T

Tommy K

Well we've had the Golf for 20 months and I fancy summit newer.

Going to do a PCP on a brand new / or pre reg.... but what should we look at?

Requirements....

Automatic
45mpg
5 door
Decent pace - use to 200ps TDi
Golf size
Have decent spec and quality feel
Some badge snobbery!

Looking around £15-18k - but as it's PCP it's the monthly cost - a £10k car can cost the same as a £14k if the apr% is shocking!!

Any suggestions???

style5,TommyK.png

plate-2.jpg

a mate of mine just went out for the new fiesta zetec-S TDCI. Bucket seats, uprated pioneer sound system, carbon dash, bodykit, 17s. Factory lowered 30mm. Proper nice and good for the money.

Otherwise the new Focus zetec TDCI, you could get some pretty good spec with the money your looking at possibly spending.

Did you sell that bodykit by the way mate?

Yes mate - body kit it sat at home... need to make a sale advert later for all the bits i've got.... been a little busy getting married!!

Right I'm 28.... not over the hill but gone are the days that bucket seats, stripes and big stereo's are the main reasons to buy a car.

I need enough space for 4 adults and their luggage... but small enough to park easily.

Current cars on my list are...

VW Golf
VW Golf Plus
Skoda Fabia VRS
Skoda Fabia VRS Estate
Seat Leon
Pug 308
BMW 1 Series
Kia Cee'd (only to appreciate why you spend the extra)
Ford Focus (only if it's cheap)

Anything else??

style5,TommyK.png

plate-2.jpg

to be honest i think the list you have is pretty much the best cars in the range your looking at mate.

My vote would be either the focus, or the KIA. Not quite sure if i could get my head around the badge though.... KIA, still sounds like a s**t make even though they're moving forward haha.

ok about the bodykit mate. Well, you have my number. All you have to do is tell me your price and when you want me to collect it and its a done deal.

Skoda, Seat or KIA I would say.

Stay away from the beemer, its a nice car but looks ugly (imo) and may turn you into one of those people who forgets how to use indicators and common highway code practice ;)

Darren

Well Skoda was shut - really annoyed!!! Had test drive arranged and everything - staff sickness!!

Kate said NO to ford, Seat, Hyundai, Citroen, Peugeot.

BMW too much money for what you get, sooner buy another golf.

Fiat - non of the range fitted the requirements. Bravo drivers seat positioning was all wrong for kate.

Kia - BIG SURPRISE! Drove really well, 1.6 diesel really powerful, loads of standard equipment, inside finish not as nice as the Golf, but it's 1/2 the price... was really good.

Kate really liked the Kia and was thinking it might be our top choice until.... we got back in the Golf and it was just brilliant at everything :(

Really want to get kate into a Fabia or Octavia VRS if only to discount them but I think it looks like she's after another Golf.

style5,TommyK.png

plate-2.jpg

Is the Giulietta in that bracket?

Sexy automobile. And the initial reviews I saw were all favourable.

no to ford :( lol

we have the focus (its a mk1 ghia year 2k).
Has plenty of room in the cabin,comfy to drive,a large boot and 5 doors and easy to drive/park :)

if i was to get rid,i wouldnt know what to go for tbh as ive always liked the focus's.

Unfortunately the Giulietta doesn't come as an Auto.... yet.

If it did we wouldn't be having to worry about what car to get :)

style5,TommyK.png

plate-2.jpg

the bmw 1 is way over priced for what they are giving you, you realy are paying for the badge, my 1.4 bravo was as quick if not quicker than the standard 1.6 bmw, better in most ways. i will say though the steering was very crisp best thing about the whole car!

i have never been in a golf so dont know what im missing? or do i?

The new C5 is a bloody good car (think it may be over budget though) or a ds3

stephend

The problem with a Golf is just that - it's a Golf. it has no flare, no character. it just does that job and feels safe, reliable.

Which is what Kate ultimately wants, a car she can jump in, turn the key and drive 500 miles without any drama or worries.

The Fabia VRS was a lovely car, is quick but doesn't feel it.... only thing that lets it down is the interior plastics and feel..... but it's cheap, like really cheap compared to a Polo of the same spec.

I'm at a loss no tho, Kate really wants another Golf I think but the budget doesn't stretch to a new golf... and if we're going to get a new Golf we might as well stick to the car we have.

Oh well... im giving up :(

style5,TommyK.png

plate-2.jpg

Go for the kia Tom. My mate has one and it has never put a foot wrong wIth him even though he drives like a *****.

noooooooooo go for the vrs either fabia or octavia they are after all a cheaper version than the golf the interior will grow on you and think of the savings to be had by getting one and of course the vag reliabilty

tommy why change for the same car? its not like your golf is getting old or breaking down, once my car is paid off (personal loan) thats it,time to start saving over 250 quid a month. atm i cant find a better car for me or my family. can i find a better car? yes. can i find a car that fits our needs better? no.

The golf is starting to cost us money... just little things. Needs about £1000 spending on it I predict this year... It's worth about £6500 as it now stands Part Ex.. If I spend £1000 on it and keep it a year it'll then be worth £5500

So in theory 1 extra year will cost me £2000.

I can get a brand new Fabia VRS for £13,500 at the moment due to the vat discount their offering

So it seems a good idea.

style5,TommyK.png

plate-2.jpg

please not a VRS, yeah they aren't slow. but they just scream that there should be a 3 door version, have better standard wheels and a better factory standard kit. to say its the top of the range and a fast hatch it just doesn't look all that special.

most other makes put a little more effort into the appearance of the top of the range models i think.

Is the Giulietta auto due anytime soon?

How about the little volvo? Not to everyone's taste, but I like them.

Volvo is only a 3dr and 4 seats.

Fabia Quote came in today...

Fabia VRS in blue with white wheels - £1500 deposit is £246.38 per month inc Gap Insurance.

I think the VRS is a more grown up Hot Hatch... If you want OTT then get a corse VXR.

style5,TommyK.png

plate-2.jpg

TK i gotta say i really like teh fabia vrs, think there very underated cars in general, get a good pokey tdi lump that like a bit of tuning and there a nice looking car, was thinking of one in red as a daily for myself but bought a nice bike instead.

NEWSIG.jpg
[/IMG]
Fiat Marea Weekend 2.0 20v HLX 147 83k and so far so good!

Down & Out Stickers available only here bravo and marea weekend only £5 incl delivery

How long can you wait? As there will be a new focus out this year (avoid the current focus).

The VRS is definitely worth having, but have you tried the new Polo at all? With model bloat being factored in it's the same size/bigger than a mk4 golf, so more money for toys etc and cheaper on tax/fuel in general too.

You're right about the 1 series, too much for too little, and the residuals will soon take a massive dive as the new one will be announced soon.

I guess you're not keen on the Japanese cars then? No Auris or Civic? Though the Auris is boring as hell (Golf???) it's more than competent and of course it is a Toyota. The same goes for the Civic although it's far more interesting to drive/look at and their diesel is a cracking motor.

I guess the new Astra is also out on the same grounds as the Ford? It is a seriously well sorted piece of kit and with their rediculous warranty it is certainly worth bearing in mind!