Optimum sub levels and position?

Currently reading:
Optimum sub levels and position?

Willber

Hey Chaps/Chapettes? (lol)

I have installed a FLI Actice 12 in the boot of my Mk1 Punto. I have had it in maybe 2 or 3 weeks now and for some reason I have found that I am not as happy with the sound as I used to be. Dont get me wrong it is still good!

Basically I don't know whether its me just getting used to it or whether something has changed since I have bedded the sub in?

My levels are set up at half gain and half freq on the sub, and just over half bass and mid on the HU (treble is nearly full) I have also got the sub output on my HU set to halfway.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of dialling in the settings so that I am nearer to a well balanced sound? I know most of it is subjective but I wondered if anyone could help me anyway. Also, does positioning of the sub in the boot change the bass sound. At the moment I have the sub at the left of the boot firing towards the right side. I am wondering if I moved it so that it is firing straight to the back of the car, it may improve the sound??

Sorry for the rant and I would appreciate any input!!

Cheer.s (y)

i had mine in that position for ages but it is now facing the bootlid in the middle (all to change soon tho ;) ) mine is set up practically the same (half gain, half frequency) and I'm happy with the sound.

What type of music r u blasting through it?

EDIT: and what other speakers do you have in the car?

I'd be careful positioning straight toward the boot, I did that and now my boot won't open :eek: But now the subs are facing in towards the car, and much more of the bass gets into the car, theres also a lot less rattling.

I'm not sure if anyone else has had this problem though.. could just be me!

The key won't turn the lock, and when using the boot release next to the driver's seat, the boot just refuses to open.

It's dead weird, I think I might wait till daylight tomorrow and have a look in the lock to see if any small bits of wire have escaped.

cinqysxmk2 said:
i had mine in that position for ages but it is now facing the bootlid in the middle (all to change soon tho ;) ) mine is set up practically the same (half gain, half frequency) and I'm happy with the sound.

What type of music r u blasting through it?

EDIT: and what other speakers do you have in the car?

Bit of anything really, mainly hip-hop and techno/D'n'B but nothing too thrashy!

I have 6x9's in the parcel shelf and stock 3.5 inchers in the dash.....

Sound is faded 50/50 at the mo but I have tried with more up front and it did seem to sound a bit better!

Would be interesting to hear from you seen as though you have the same car and sub!

well I have some uprated kenwood custom fit speakers in the dash and the sub, nothing in the back (not even the 10cm) i have the sound faded - on JVC Stereo about 60/40 rearwards. The bass is set slightly down so the fronts don't get it and the treble is cut by a tiny bit so there is less harshness...

I fitted some speakers into the shelf earlier this evening, and will see how I get on with them... but I'll most likely take them out once the new sub arrives.

Back