Opinions/Comments Please - 2001 Suzuki Swift

Currently reading:
Opinions/Comments Please - 2001 Suzuki Swift

I'm going to have a look at this on Tuesday with a view to buying it for my step-son:

eBay link

He has a very tight budget for running it as he is currently unemployed and about to go back into full time education. So what we need is something reliable and cheap to run and this seems to fit the bill.

Has anyone here ever owned one or had experience of driving one? Anyone know of anything we should look out for with this model? Will he be embarrassed to park it in the college car park? All opinions and advice gratefully received.

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
The 1.0 litre is the 3 cylinder engine. From what little info I can find this seems a better option in terms of reliability that the 1.3 4 pot engines.

I don't think the comparison with the new models is really valid as it's now a completely different car.

Please keep the opinions coming. :)

Oh in that case maybe mk1 of somesort. its a bit of a bugger as the 8v engines which are cheap on insurance are crap and blow headgaskets all the time but the 16v engine is more expensive to insure but don't blow headgaskets (a lot less anyway).

https://www.fiatforum.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=15115&cat=24

What about that I'm sure he'd let you have it for £1000 to a fellow member :).

Last edited:
Do you happen to be selling one? :rolleyes:

Seriously, it's going to have to be boring and slow to keep insurance costs down.

And the newer and more reliable the better as I'm the one who will be working on it if/when it goes wrong.

Bubble Micra. £600 - £900 in decent nick, I've bought 3 over the last 5 years and all served us reliably. Rust under the radiator in the cross-member and at the rear of the sills in front of the rear wheels is common but can be repaired if you haggle the car price.

Wont win many points for street cred though.... all the 3 I bought were for females lol!

you still gonna look like a girl though if some one sigs that quote :p

And I care dave? :p Those little trucks are amazingly reliable and also enjoy a good Forum support like us Fiat drivers. I'd recommend one to anyone and I have put my money where my mouth is. All we ever spent on them once I had done the minor stuff was tyres and servicing.

One is still being used by a sister-in-law the other 2 are still taxed and in use all these years later. (y)

Bump.

OK, we are now going to view/drive this one tomorrow:

Peugeot 306 Diesel on AutoTrader.

Anyone think it's a good buy for age/mileage?

We've already checked insurance and it's cheaper then the boy's current car so that's good. I'm thinking Peugeot diesels have a good reputation too don't they? Should do him for a good two or three years if looked after properly, if not more if needed.

Thought about Micras but couldn't find any locally in our price range and don't want to go too old. All the ones we could find affordably were around '94/'95 vintage, which is older than the current car.

If it's good hoping to get it for £850 or should we be cheekier?

Back