Technical Only got 1 key, can i just get a new one cut ??.

Currently reading:
Technical Only got 1 key, can i just get a new one cut ??.

Ros3

So I only have 1 key for our 500, could I just go to a key cutters and have a second one cut or is it more complicated than that ??

So I only have 1 key for our 500, could I just go to a key cutters and have a second one cut or is it more complicated than that ??

Yes. You can get a mechanical key cut.. relatively cheaply.

A key with a chip to start the engine.. £100

A key that works remotely @£250

Any idea why it only has 1 key??

If the last registeted keeper still has it.. then sending an SAE with a note saying you are the mew owner. Etc..

May be worth a try for a £5 outlay ;)

Charlie

It's more complicated than that.

The official route is to go to a Fiat dealer, who will order a cut key from the VIN and also obtain an electronic code to program the new key into the car's body computer. You likely won't have a lot of change out of £200, £300 if you want a remote. You'll also probably have to provide proof of ownership.

There are aftermarket autolocksmiths who can create a working key, but they'll need physical access to the car to program it to disarm the immobiliser. There have been a few reports from folks who've gone this route and found they've lost key functionality after a battery change, but if you've still one official key, using this to start it should restore functionality in the aftermarket key. Expect to pay somewhere in the region of £65-£100 if you go this route.

A third option is just to get a key blank cut from your existing key; this should only cost a few pounds. It won't start the car, but it will unlock the door if you somehow contrive to lock your only working key inside.

Last edited:
Your local dealer "should" give you the key code for them to program another if happens again once they've done you one. Mine did anyway. Think they have to pay Fiat a fee for it. Job had once had Punto courtesy cars. Customer lost remote. Had to lend spare to get car back. Couldn't find it so owed £300 to get local dealer to do another.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks for the info and help. Lot more to it than I thought, will have to have a think about what I want to do now...

@ponsaloti, please can you confirm something for me.

AIUI, there's a key difference (if you'll pardon the pun) between the approach taken by Fiat dealers, and the approach taken by aftermarket auto locksmiths.

The official way is to order a key and then program the car to accept that key, together with any other keys that are in the possession of the owner. This process requires Examiner & the electronic keycode and will prevent any other keys that may previously have been programmed to the car from deactivating the immobiliser. Essentially this erases any previous key information from the body computer and you are starting with a clean slate. For this reason, if you order an additional key from a main dealer, you have to give them all the keys in your possession so that the car will continue to recognise them.

The unofficial way is to interrogate the car to obtain the necessary information from the body computer to program a transponder in the key. The disadvantage to this method is that any working keys not in the possession of the owner will still work (the security implications of this are obvious). This doesn't need the keycode, as sufficient information to program a transponder can be obtained from the ECU. This is presumably a calculated hash total; I can't believe the keycode is directly retrievable from the ECU (that would be appaling cryptography).

So in summary Fiat will program the car to the keys; the aftermarket will program the keys to the car.

Any further information from those who actually know what they are talking about would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
@ponsaloti, please can you confirm something for me.

AIUI, there's a key difference (if you'll pardon the pun) between the approach taken by Fiat dealers, and the approach taken by aftermarket auto locksmiths.

The official way is to order a key and then program the car to accept that key, together with any other keys that are in the possession of the owner. This process requires Examiner & the electronic keycode and will prevent any other keys that may previously have been programmed to the car from deactivating the immobiliser. Essentially this erases any previous key information from the body computer and you are starting with a clean slate. For this reason, if you order an additional key from a main dealer, you have to give them all the keys in your possession so that the car will continue to recognise them.

The unofficial way is to interrogate the car to obtain the necessary information from the body computer to program a transponder in the key. The disadvantage to this method is that any working keys not in the possession of the owner will still work (the security implications of this are obvious). This doesn't need the keycode, as sufficient information to program a transponder can be obtained from the ECU. This is presumably a calculated hash total; I can't believe the keycode is directly retrievable from the ECU (that would be appaling cryptography).

So in summary Fiat will program the car to the keys; the aftermarket will program the keys to the car.

Any further information from those who actually know what they are talking about would be greatly appreciated.

If you clone an existing key then nothing changes on the car and any keys not in the owners possession will still work. This is what you get if you go somewhere like Timpson.

When the dealer programs a key the key is ordered by vin and comes already locked to the vehicle it was ordered for keys are specific to each car. Then the dealer wil use Examiner/Witech to reprogram all the keys for the vehicle that are available using the pin code which they will likely charge you extra for. Any keys that are not available will no longer work after this.

If your using a good Autolocksmiths then they can read out the memory from the body computer, in most cases through the OBD socket. Once you have that information you can retrieve both the security code and key data from the file.
Prepare a new key and then program keys exactly the way the dealer would, meaning any keys not in your possession will no longer start the car.

Most Autolocksmiths can also give you the option of retaining any existing keys that aren’t present should you need to. Something I end up doing surprisingly often when owners are temporarily without there keys but know where the other one is.

Last edited:
As Minirid said.
We usually clone the customers ignition key (at there request) but we can clear down and programme in only the keys that are present.
We always clear down when programing a remote key for Fiat.

Back