Technical Ongoing electrical problems - very strange

Currently reading:
Technical Ongoing electrical problems - very strange

darlofan

Hi,

I've had my bravo 2.0 165 in the garage (fiat dealership) three times now but I still have an ongoing fault, hoping someone may be able to help or may have had it before.

It has intermittent issues:

- climate control flickers (happens very often)
- stereo goes off for 5 seconds (this happens sometimes when I put my main beam on) - this seems to happen only when climate control is flickering
- speedo loses power whilst driving (rare)
- computer faults with Asr failure, Asr deactivated, asr activated - then goes back to normal - this is rare too but can happen

So far the garage have changed some wiring on my battery and also into my ignition, this seems to fix it for a few weeks but then the issue returns and it gets progressively worse over the weeks.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Chris

Hi Take it to an auto electrician and they may be able to trace a fault in the wiring. My bravos wipers, wash etc all stopped working and this was traced to a bare wire behind the dash that had shorted.

stuart

Hi,

I've just checked the battery and alternator readings.

Without engine running it's reading around 12

with engine running it is between 12 and 13, but seems to dip when you put lights etc on.

Checked my mates car (doesn't have an issue) and his is 12 without the engine running but 14 with.

Does this mean the causes of my issues are alternator related?

Hi,

I've just checked the battery and alternator readings.

Without engine running it's reading around 12

with engine running it is between 12 and 13, but seems to dip when you put lights etc on.

Checked my mates car (doesn't have an issue) and his is 12 without the engine running but 14 with.

Does this mean the causes of my issues are alternator related?

Potentially alternator related, however you need the exact output readings, 'around' is too vague unfortunately.

Ok well with engine running it was briefly registering 13.5, but within seconds it stablished at 12.5. However when I turned all lights etc on it read 12.17

Without the engine running it was 12.5

Ok well with engine running it was briefly registering 13.5, but within seconds it stablished at 12.5. However when I turned all lights etc on it read 12.17

Without the engine running it was 12.5

Iirc should be around 14.4v engine running so defo not right, and good battery should be about 12.7-12.8v when all is off.

Thanks,

Should it be a case of replacing the alternator or could there be a different issue causing it?

Alternators, generally speaking, can be serviced..preferably by professionals.
They replace the bearings, brushes.. the diode bridge, the regulator relay..etc

It should be cheaper and just as reliable.

I'll book it back into fiat and see what they say, I'll post an update next week

I've had similar problems recently on my 2008 1.6 Eco and I concluded that it was the battery. The static voltage was 12.2 going down to 8.4 on cranking, returning to 10.2 before the alternator kicked in which then put it to 13.5 on tickover. If the battery voltage drops below a certain threshold, I reckon the body computer becomes affected and consequently displays random attitudes with the systems it manages. For example, after starting, the Climate Control panel started flickering, the radio turned off for a few seconds and then came on again. When stopping, the interior light didn't come on when taking the ignition key out and the central locking didn't work. Battery voltage was just over 10v. After leaving the car for 30 minutes or so, everything worked and the battery had returned to 12.2v. A new battery fixed the problem immediately.
Why didn't it affect the engine? I believe it's because the engine ECU has a lower minimum voltage threshold before becoming affected.

Mines still not sorted. It will go 3 weeks without faulting then 3 weeks of constantly doing it.

Seems to be worse when I set off and then after five mins it's just the climate control flickering.

Was that the same on yours?

Back