Technical Strange Turbo noise

Currently reading:
Technical Strange Turbo noise

19Jimmy94

Hi all
I‘m a hobby mecanic and in possession of a Fiat Bravo II 1.4 TJet from 2007 with 170.000km
Since a couple of weeks, in acceleration i hear a strange venting noise (i tried to record it). In addition to the noice, when I drive downhill for a long time and then accelerate, smoke comes out from the exhaust. The engine also needs more oil than normal

As a hobby mecanic I am not able to understand where the problem could be (turbo which is dying? problem of a tube that goes towards the intercooler? Problem of the pop-of valve?)
So a decided to bring it to a mecanic. He made a quick control of the turbo but he sad for him everything looks alright…. (Impossible)
Therefore I decided to search a forum with professionals which may could help me😊
Can anyone help me?
Thanks in advance!

Greetings from Italy

Attachments

• My Movie 8.mov
    370.5 KB
Hi all
I‘m a hobby mecanic and in possession of a Fiat Bravo II 1.4 TJet from 2007 with 170.000km
Since a couple of weeks, in acceleration i hear a strange venting noise (i tried to record it). In addition to the noice, when I drive downhill for a long time and then accelerate, smoke comes out from the exhaust. The engine also needs more oil than normal

As a hobby mecanic I am not able to understand where the problem could be (turbo which is dying? problem of a tube that goes towards the intercooler? Problem of the pop-of valve?)
So a decided to bring it to a mecanic. He made a quick control of the turbo but he sad for him everything looks alright…. (Impossible)
Therefore I decided to search a forum with professionals which may could help me😊
Can anyone help me?
Thanks in advance!

Greetings from Italy
Hi from your description it sounds like you have a boost leak. This is typically checked with a smoke tester which is safest but expensive or boost leak tester. The latter is often a kit found on ebay that is simply a blank cap to be fitted on the turbo with a tyre valve in the end. Be careful that the pressure can try to turn the engine over. Often though the ECU will recognise this fault illuminate the engine light and store related codes. A split hose is quite possible and loss of recorded air would result in rich fuel air mixture and smoke.

Turbo failing can be checked by wiggling the shaft (with fingers not pliers) to check for excessive play. Even a newish turbo will have a little bit of movement. If the bearing is worn out then the turbine can foul the housing so check with camera or mirror for blade damage. Another tell tale is lots of engine oil built up in the turbo and pressurised hoses. The mileage, abnormal noise, smoke and particularly oil usage, make a failing turbo likely.

Has the car lost any performance?
Is the engine light on?
Do you have a fault code reader?

Thanks for you response
Effectively, I notice some losses in performance, but the engine light isn‘t on and on the ECU has no errors.

I will check the turbo shaft for exessive play first this weekend and let you know,
depending on what turns out I would go with the smoke test

Problems and Breakdowns - 1.4 T-jet engine​

That's right, a turbocharger. IHI (most engine variants) turbochargers have a problem with a ruptured body. The symptoms are clear whistling, loss of power and smoke from the exhaust. In turn, the Garrett turbine is durable but only available in top engine variants.

May be irrelevant but worth checking.:)

Back