General on my own

Currently reading:
General on my own

Thanks for the pix (am I to say 'of Luigi' as I assume that's your name for the Italian Job...)

Question time.
I presume those are low-profile tyres. Did you get the alloys on the van from new or as an after-market buy? (Are they 'Stilo Blade' wheels?)
I have specified 185/65/R15 tyres on mine and in the future, may think about acquiring a set of alloys and using the steels for winter tyres.

My spec of other add-ons will be as follows;
Cruise Control
Blue & Me
TomTom predisposition
Audio Controls on the steering wheel (plus whatever else goes with the above two items if that means more controls on the other side of the s/wheel as per the Qubo pic)
Mudflaps all round
Twin glazed rear doors, (unless there's a good argument against this like security - I'm quite happy driving on side mirrors)
HRW and wash/wipe (dependent on the above!)
Pax Airbag
Folding Pax seat
Alarm (if not included in the Thatcham setup)
Air-Con
ESP
Steel spare (hate that spray-in gloop)

Should I look at anything else too or wait to get it and see what I might need. Have you missed anything that you didn't request at the outset? I'm still a bit undecided about the glazed/unglazed rear doors. My plan is to get a vinyl advertisinig wrap for the van though of course you can still see out from within when it's across side/rear windows. Also it's possible to buy a rear view mirror with a camera screen inset so a minicam in the overdoor frame would do instead of glazed doors. Now think of the anomaly of fitting a rear view mirror when you can't see out of the back.
Maybe there's a video input into the (Fiat) TomTom screen?

That brings me onto another thing. I have seen on eBay, a 2 DIN frame to replace the current (single DIN) radio mount which maintains you can slot in a 2 DIN HU.. viz Sat nav or DVD screen.

Here are the eBay numbers: 270757502382 and 270716701618 (I'm still too young on here to post a link - what's all that about?) - both from the same seller and both state they are for the Fiat Qubo Nemo (being almost the same vehicle ;))
I can't really see how this would fit looking at the top-of-dash mounted radio being a single DIN. Not sure what the aperture is like in the dash for the radio behind the surround, though I hope the radio is securely mounted to a frame or whatever so it doesn't look like an easy knock-off to a light fingered passer-by.

Anyway, that's perhaps plenty for now!

Your thoughts would be interesting on my spec and I wonder how the Adventure's traction control would have dealt with the 5" of snow and ice we had this morning?

Paul

Spec looks good, although i would omit the blue and me and tom tom.
i've in stalled a 9'' pda [runs windows and igo maps]on the dash for sat nav and for the rear camera [mounted in the rear door lock barrel] which auto switches on selecting reverse,the pda can also handle mp3 and mp4 files as well but never bothered.
ih the head unit i've in stalled cd changer interface that takes sd card 3.5 jack or memory stick.
it has blue tooth for the phone,control for this is on the same panel as the hazard switch.
steel wheel is a good idea,i did the same.
wheels are as you say stillo abath blades, 17'' 205-45 tyres,i just put on the new red fiat badges to bring up to date.
air con is a must i think these days
electric windows
don't bother with elec mirrors
cruse control is also a plus i'm working on this for mine as alfa 147 stalk is the same and the wiring is all ready installed in the van.
alarm is a must also and will take you to thatcham 2.
chipped engine................goes like stink 55 to the gallon on avarage this week,never below 52
my van is a 58 plate,base model 75 but has plenty of oem upgrades.
get some Taylored mats they look fab,mine are gen fiat and fit great.
Luigi

Re: On my own (not any more)

Thanks - can you give me some more details on the PDA please, like your source or a link and possibly a picture or two please? That combination sounds good and would save quite a few costs such as;
Blue & Me - £150
TomTom setup - £80
Fiat TomTom Unit - £241 ..as long as the PDA costs less than that! Have you got this as an inset unit or stand alone that you have to take out every time you leave the car?
Also can your new unit mate up with steering wheel controls - (they are a real asset) I know several manufacturers do supplemetary wiring looms for accessories of this nature.
Cruise Control wiring in place - doesn't this also need a motor for the throttle cable under the bonnet? Interesting to note the 147 parts fit too. In My RAV4 several crossovers with the Corolla are exchangeable so I have a wiper timed delay stalk to give me that extra choice over the basic single timed speed. Heated/electric mirrors are standard :)

Can't remember now without going back and possibly losing all this text if you have rear windows - still undecided!

Thanks for the info anyway.

Paul

Spec looks good, although i would omit the blue and me and tom tom.
i've in stalled a 9'' pda [runs windows and igo maps]on the dash for sat nav and for the rear camera [mounted in the rear door lock barrel] which auto switches on selecting reverse,the pda can also handle mp3 and mp4 files as well but never bothered.
ih the head unit i've in stalled cd changer interface that takes sd card 3.5 jack or memory stick.
it has blue tooth for the phone,control for this is on the same panel as the hazard switch.
steel wheel is a good idea,i did the same.
wheels are as you say stillo abath blades, 17'' 205-45 tyres,i just put on the new red fiat badges to bring up to date.
air con is a must i think these days
electric windows
don't bother with elec mirrors
cruse control is also a plus i'm working on this for mine as alfa 147 stalk is the same and the wiring is all ready installed in the van.
alarm is a must also and will take you to thatcham 2.
chipped engine................goes like stink 55 to the gallon on avarage this week,never below 52
my van is a 58 plate,base model 75 but has plenty of oem upgrades.
get some Taylored mats they look fab,mine are gen fiat and fit great.
Luigi

Here are the eBay numbers: 270757502382 and 270716701618 (I'm still too young on here to post a link - what's all that about?)
This is to stop all the spam bots and such like from registering just to post up links to spam websites. For genuine members, this may seem like a small nuisance, but it doesn't take long to say hi in the Newbie section - and before you know it, you can post links :)

This is to stop all the spam bots and such like from registering just to post up links to spam websites. For genuine members, this may seem like a small nuisance, but it doesn't take long to say hi in the Newbie section - and before you know it, you can post links :)

Thank you for explaining - I knew there'd be a good reason :)

I did venture to the Newbie Central but I only found about 4 people saying hello - the rest all seemed to be Fiat queries.. in the wrong place?

I can say 'Hello' here I suppose though it's a whisper since I don't yet own the Fiorino ;)

Paul

The pda do not support steering wheel controls but it is touch screen.
it fit in a dash top cradle above the radio,and is removable, but i don't bother, i plan to make a pod for it so it looks oem.
The totle for the pda,all cables to hu,camera was under £100 from china,but i did loads of reserch before i went ahead, the camera for instance puts up a graph so you know were you are in relation to obects ect.
over the weelend i take some pictures of the operations of the pda,as a matter of interest it also is bluetooth....so in effect you could use this for a phone,or streeming music.
i have no rear glass, but i have got some black acrylic and plan to make it appear i have windows, i think it would look better.
I'll dig out the links for everything so you have all the info......bare with me.
Luigi

Fiorino upgrades

The pda do not support steering wheel controls but it is touch screen.
it fit in a dash top cradle above the radio,and is removable, but i don't bother, i plan to make a pod for it so it looks oem.
The totle for the pda,all cables to hu,camera was under £100 from china,but i did loads of reserch before i went ahead, the camera for instance puts up a graph so you know were you are in relation to obects ect.
over the weelend i take some pictures of the operations of the pda,as a matter of interest it also is bluetooth....so in effect you could use this for a phone,or streeming music.
i have no rear glass, but i have got some black acrylic and plan to make it appear i have windows, i think it would look better.
I'll dig out the links for everything so you have all the info......bare with me.
Luigi

Thank you again for this detail..

Just looking at a 147 stalk block on eBay I presume you're saying this cruise stalk will fit the Fiorino - do you have intermittent wiper speed control as standard or does this stalk also fit a Fiat? As I put before I installed a Toyota Corolla timed stalk on my RAV4 as parts are a direct swap - interesting to think that Alfa parts would be interchangeable with the Fiat (makes economical sense I guess) but it depends on their mounting - if it's just two screws once the column shroud is released then fine. Plug and Play.

What happened to the rear door lock once you swapped that for a camera?

Looking forward to your pix.

Paul

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Hi Paul.
All fiorinos come with intermittent wash wipe as standard,the cruse control stalk sits behind the indicator stalk and clips onto the steering column,you can ether adapt the cover around the stalks or buy a new top one for qubo/fiorino as an option.
The rear door lock i removed from handle,you can still lock/unlock with remote key, in fact sliding and passenger door has no key barrel as standard, there are covers on them instead, i found a cover to do the same to the drivers door so it looks like it also has no lock.
Luigi

Hi Paul.
All fiorinos come with intermittent wash wipe as standard,the cruse control stalk sits behind the indicator stalk and clips onto the steering column,you can ether adapt the cover around the stalks or buy a new top one for qubo/fiorino as an option.
The rear door lock i removed from handle,you can still lock/unlock with remote key, in fact sliding and passenger door has no key barrel as standard, there are covers on them instead, i found a cover to do the same to the drivers door so it looks like it also has no lock.
Luigi

I think I wasn't clear enough in my request... by intermittent I mean one step beyond basic - a variable time delay by having the collar on the stalk with which you can vary the delay - in mine I have 3,5,7,9 seconds between wipes. Nice to be able to choose as the set one is either not enough or too often!

I follow your explanation of the lock barrels, thanks.

Off to read more brochures! I think I'm almost at the final choice now. Maybe I'll source some standard alloys rather than like yours to take low profile tyres although there is a set on eBay here with tyres. The Alfa wheels are 5-stud so one is maybe limited to interior tweaks of switches from the 147.

Paul

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Nice wheels but you will need an off set of 44
The intermittent wipers are variable according to the speed you are traveling,the faster you go the shorter the delay.
d
Don't forget you rolling radius otherwise you speedo will be out.......i know when i had a astra van there tech 2 software could alta the speedo perameters to make it correct, but i'm not sure about fiat,18's on 45 profile tyres will make speedo read more than what you are actuallly doing,but i can say that theres plenty of arch clearance.
luigi

Last edited:
Back