100_1016mm.jpg

Seicento Oliver the '99 Sporting 'Abarth'

Introduction

I thought I might as well begin a thread for my car, as I've had him for ages and nobody really knows! So...

It all began around December 2010 if I remember correctly :p

100_1016mm.jpg

Where I collected this fine specimen of the breed :p
In decent condition, but with a fairly iffy history (previous owner had sold it to a dodgy garage for scrap after being told it had rusted out...a quick check says that this was absolute rubbish!).

However, I can't help but feel that the standard sporting, especially before the facelift, is not exactly a work of art. Therefore I decided that I'd slowly 'sort' him out. So first up was the obligatory set of FiatForum stickers ;)

DSC00129mm.jpg

Continual ebay trawling surfaced some skirts and a spoiler at a exceptional price which I snapped up and popped on one weekend!

DSC00131mm.jpg

Might have gone a bit OTT with the badges though! If anyone knows what the 'Formula' bit refers to, that would be good to know ;)

It still looked a bit pants though, due to the fact that it looked like it was on caster wheels instead of proper car wheels!

So...this is how he looks now!

P4160002mm.jpg

P4160007mm.jpg

Further ebay trawling produced these mighty fine alloys (the optional extra Abarth alloys no less) for little more than a standard set of Abarth alloys would have cost. With part worn P6000's thrown in I'm sitting happy for a bit. And I got rid of the badges and rear wiper...much better! (y) Also found a set of matching Abarth headrests for a fiver, better than the £50 someone wanted on ebay!

So, whats up next? Well, there is an 866 cam sat next to me to go in when I have the money (I am only a student after all), along with another chip (has a Gazzaman2K chip in at the mo) to spice life up a bit. And maybe an induction kit...and a front splitter...but other than that, it's just getting out and enjoying it ;)

And before anyone asks, yes, all the mods are declared and accounted for, and the insurance only cost me £700 this year! (I'm 19, so that is beepin' good!)

So, if you're out and about in Devon (mainly Exeter and Torquay...or Cornwall), give me a wave!

Over to you guys :D Any further ideas?
Updates!..Well, not really :p

However, some things have changed!
Firstly, a rather nice puncture on the dual carriageway resulted in me biting the bullet and replacing all of them...hated the P6000's that were on there anyway! So at the same time I grabbed some serious rubber and chucked on 185/55 R14s :p Don't need to lower it anymore, as the rubber fills the gap ;) Will get some pictures when it's been cleaned! On a side note, this has also solved the vibrations and pulling to the left, even though I didn't have a slow puncture...must have been misshapen or something...oh well, got power steering back now!

Now...two questions which people might be able to help with!

1) I fitted a 40mm throttle body and whilst above 3000rpm there is a performance increase, below this it all bogs down and it feels very...hollow? Like there is a massive flat spot all through 1-3000rpm? I have standard induction, but this doesn't seem too restrictive. I have a gazzaman chip in it, if that helps? Vacuum leak? Something to live with? :p

2) When I let off the accelerator or I'm sat in neutral (happens with clutch in or out) I have this strange whining noise coming from somewhere in the engine bay? I'm thinking something clutch related...not sure though! Not particularly loud, you can hear it just inside with the windows up...

So any advice, that would be great :)

Cheers!

Last edited:
if anything the 40mm tb should make the flat spot less obvious in my experience, as you suggested - recheck all your vac hoses for splits etc.

Strange whining noise is hard to diagnose without seeing/hearing it, could be clutch release bearing on way out, could be alternator bearings, could be cambelt tensioner. & sure it could be a few other things to. Can you upload a video to youtube or something??

Right, checked all the hoses and inlet gaskets...no leaks there! I will say that i've blocked off the pipe going from 'N' underneath the airbox...the 40mm throttle body came from a Punto and didn't have that particular pipe. I guessed that the 'M' under the airbox goes to the MAP, so I hope I've got them hooked up the right way round!

So...further diagnosis time! I'll give all the info I can :p

The car has a Gazzaman2k chip in, and ever since then it has been a pig to start, takes a good 5-10 secs (unless recently driven, where it starts instantly) to catch. During this time the injector light flashes, stays on constant for around 2-5 seconds once started, but the idle isn't rough. Whilst driving, there are no more complaints from anything, with the injector and engine lights never coming on. Don't know if this will help...:p

So, no vacuum leaks, but the problem is still there. If I short shift and then accelerate spiritedly, below 1500 rpm the engine will splutter and cough, then be a flat spot until around 3000rpm...I like to change gear by now! The only power is above there...and I don't exactly overtake very often!

So...any ideas? :p Any at all?

Cheers for any advice :)

Oops. quadruple post :p
Been quiet recently as I bought a 156 to wander about in...lovely car, but only temporary fun whilst the funds are there...which they are now not :p
So the Sei will be back on the road soon, with lots planned (866 cam, Punto GT front disks and calipers, Uno Turbo rear disks and calipers, eventually lowered).
However, the question I have now...
I've spent ages looking for a particular Sei, it was on here that I saw the pictures, It's a red abarth with the same stripes down the side that the new 500 Abarth has (I'm considering them and want a second look). I just can't find the car anywhere! Anybody got any ideas?
Cheers :)

So, after around 7 months I felt an update was needed! :p

Since then, there have been a few changes! Most noticeably the suspension change and brake upgrade (which are all fully insured on fully comp, got enough of a no claims bonus that I can afford it all which is nice for a 20 year old!). And a bit of colour coding has gone on too, but that's all really! And also an interior swap so I have rear headrests (a minor safety improvement for any friends in the back!). Also noticeable for me is the fact that the 156 I had has been sold...was too refined for me ;)

Also, for anyone interested who's used the searchbar for tyres, I swapped out the 185/55 that I had on it and went for the 175/50 Sonars which are available. My review is that they seem far better than the Pirellis and offer a far more progressive grip. I think the Sei is just too light for the Pirellis full stop! Might be a bit noisier though, but then again the suspension (Apex kit in case anyone is interested) won't have helped! RE the suspension the front sits higher than the back, which seems a bit odd as its a 30mm drop all round, but they've only been on a month so may settle more yet (not sure though :p )

But pictures speak more than words:
IMG_8775mm.jpg

IMG_8782mm.jpg

IMG_8783mm.jpg

Next up on the list is a full service, fix the blowing exhaust and to get that 866 cam fitted at some point, when I can afford the next £40 insurance hike!

But for now, its still about and doing well, give me a wave if you're in the Exeter area, no matter what sort of Fiat you're in!

That's what I'm gonna go for when I need to replace, but I got such a good deal on these that I couldn't resist...its not often you get a tyre place to give you more money for your old tyres than the new ones cost ;)

You sei is just awesome :p Love the silver, looks to be in great condition too and the wheels are awesome! :yum:
The suspension is strange though, it looks about as high as mine at the front and mine is standard (different wheel sizes may play a part but still..) :confused:

Why thank you very much! :) And I know, very odd, going to hunt around the forum, see if the Apex set throws up this sort of thing often or not...time may tell! Yours looks very tidy too, and has the front I prefer ;) If I win some money I'll do a conversion :p

Why thank you very much! :) And I know, very odd, going to hunt around the forum, see if the Apex set throws up this sort of thing often or not...time may tell! Yours looks very tidy too, and has the front I prefer ;) If I win some money I'll do a conversion :p

It certainly would be very unique then :D

I'm thinking about the idea of body coloured door strips or handles or both but I'm not sure. I think it might make it look more modern/grown up

Let me know if you discover anything about the apex kit as I was thinking about getting some :rolleyes:

I was thinking door handles for a while too...I put matt black vinyl over the b pillars too, definitely makes it look a bit more grown up and hardly anybody notices! Will do if I find anything, it is a nice kit otherwise! :)

you prefer the mpi bumper :eek: sacrilege!

Your car makes me want to sort out my rare abarth option wheels - was hoping to have them on for summer but things keep getting in the way, like buying cars i cannot afford to buy and the like lol.

Like the mirrors btw, not seen orange to match the trim before on a sei, surprisingly.

you prefer the mpi bumper :eek: sacrilege!

Your car makes me want to sort out my rare abarth option wheels - was hoping to have them on for summer but things keep getting in the way, like buying cars i cannot afford to buy and the like lol.

Like the mirrors btw, not seen orange to match the trim before on a sei, surprisingly.

Oh you can't beat buying cars you can't afford! And I know its sacrilege, I'm a sucker for that abarth grill though ;) Sort your wheels then :p They are nice!

And for anyone who stumbles across this, the orange is Volkswagen Brilliant Orange (yeah I know :yuck: ) but it is the closest match I found! I will eventually pop some orange abarth stipes on the side too, but for now I'm content (y) Nice bit of colour coding goes a long way :p

Back