Technical Oil sump rusted through!

Currently reading:
Technical Oil sump rusted through!

Ordered yesterday. Just received notice of delivery Thursday by UPS
£42 no brainer even as a planter on the decking
Did any of you fella's replace the sump yourselves? A mechanic friend told me to replace mine, told me it was easy. Problem is, one bolt is situated under the drive shaft support, below the alternator and can't be screwed out far enough to come off so I'm stuck. It seems if I could loosen this support just a bit I can get it off but I can't see how. Can anyone advise please? What am I missing? (Mechanic friend (ex) has gone quiet on me)

Old engines never had the sump pan rust through because it was always covered in oil.
So I just smear oil over mine - no need to paint it.

Many thanks for that corcai. Are they easily accessable please? Also can I just loosen them to gain room or is it a bit more scary?:confused:

Nothing scary, I did a quick google for an image for you, looks like its 4 bolts, I remembered 3 in a triangle but that must be the 2.3.

citroen-relayboxerducato-30td-engine-2006---2012-41505653-2-full.jpg

Thanks for your help Corcai but i'm struggling. My support bracket is slightly different to the one in the photo. Yes it has the 4 bolts as in the picture but the casting on mine also incorporates the alternator and the belt tensioner. Anyway, I've taken the alternator off its mounting but can't get it out of the bay so fiddled and finally I've loosened the 4 bolts. Nothing, still solidly attached to the engine. Do I have to now split the driveshaft from the wheel to allow me to move the support bracket or is there something else I'm missing.
Wish I'd never started.

Back