Technical Oil smell through air vents

Currently reading:
Technical Oil smell through air vents

Garetho

I’ve got a 2001 Fiat Ducato 2.8JTD. I have a problem with what smell like burnt oil smell through vents when vehicle is hot. I can’t see any oil leaks but a turbo pipe is perished but doesn’t seem to have gone through to make a hole. Vehicle drives great but low gear and idling there is an oil smell through vents. Running out of ideas, I have a turbo hose on order. Any ideas? I’ve fitted a new crank case breather and pipe but no difference 🙄

Attachments

• IMG_1539.jpeg
    IMG_1539.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 74
By "air vents" I assume that you are reffering to the normal cab vents. Is it possible to exclude the smell by switching the ventilation to recirculate? If so the the fumes are leaking into the ventilation inlet. On my x244 which I expect to be similar, the ventilation inlet is via the grille at the LHS of the windscreen. Check and repair any faulty sealing under the bonnet in this area.

Causes of fumes? Perhaps you have a minor leak in the camshaft cover gasket, and oil is getting onto the exhaust manifold. Alternatively and more serious, a pressure leak from the turbo?

By "air vents" I assume that you are reffering to the normal cab vents. Is it possible to exclude the smell by switching the ventilation to recirculate? If so the the fumes are leaking into the ventilation inlet. On my x244 which I expect to be similar, the ventilation inlet is via the grille at the LHS of the windscreen. Check and repair any faulty sealing under the bonnet in this area.

Causes of fumes? Perhaps you have a minor leak in the camshaft cover gasket, and oil is getting onto the exhaust manifold. Alternatively and more serious, a pressure leak from the turbo?
Hi thanks for your reply. Yes, the smell is coming through the internal cab vents. It is an A class Pilote Galaxy 44. I will check to see if it has the same set up near the grille later. I have replaced the rocker gasket as a process of elimination.

Back