General Oil Sump Plug Rung - Not Good!!!

Currently reading:
General Oil Sump Plug Rung - Not Good!!!

scottgilliland2003

Right guys,

That time of the year where the woman's car needs serviced and MOT

When we first bought it (06 1.3 JTD) a few years ago I quickly found it wasn't a standard nut for the sump plug and I ended up going to fiat to get the correct torx head (T45) to unscrew it.

This year I went about the normal business to fully service the car and got the torx head, inserted to the sump and turned to be hit in the face with a crumble of sump :(

Anyway, first thing I need to do is find a replacement plug? Anyone know one which definitely fits? Fleabay is full of them but there is that many variant I can't be sure.

Secondly, how do I get the dam thing out!!!!

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hey ,
The best thing to do is pop into your local parts place give them your reg and get them to look up the Bung and washer then atleast you can see it's right.
As for getting it out you have two options you either chisel it round to loosen it off , drill a hole into it and tap a easy out in or the other option which works really well which is to weld a nut onto the drain plug.
Hope this aids you in some way
Regards
Mac

Right guys,

That time of the year where the woman's car needs serviced and MOT

When we first bought it (06 1.3 JTD) a few years ago I quickly found it wasn't a standard nut for the sump plug and I ended up going to fiat to get the correct torx head (T45) to unscrew it.

This year I went about the normal business to fully service the car and got the torx head, inserted to the sump and turned to be hit in the face with a crumble of sump :(

Anyway, first thing I need to do is find a replacement plug? Anyone know one which definitely fits? Fleabay is full of them but there is that many variant I can't be sure.

Secondly, how do I get the dam thing out!!!!

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi,
so is it just the plug/bung that's damaged..?,
did it come out o.k.??

look here to give you a better idea of the actual part;)
http://eper.fiatforum.com/eper/navi...INT_MODE=0&EPER_CAT=SP&GUI_LANG=3&WINDOW_ID=1

the forum discount at Shop4Parts may make it a decent price,
Charlie

Charlie

Got the plug sorted, local auto store had it for £3 :)

I don't think it has a washer on it if I'm honest, the plug itself has a small rubber surround in behind the head of itself.

The sump is aluminium, not sure if that includes the original plug as well but maybe it's steel which I could weld a nut on too.

Well I have an arc welder anyway if it is aluminium

Was told not to drill as there is a chance any metal shards could enter the sump and damage the engine

Havnt heard of chiselling, must see if I can YouTube it or find a guide.

Might be worth just giving to a local mechanic and asking him to do it. Although he would have to change the oil once it came out and that might be a different kettle of fish as he would charge for a minor service the and rip the ass out of it lol

Got the plug sorted, local auto store had it for £3 :)

I don't think it has a washer on it if I'm honest, the plug itself has a small rubber surround in behind the head of itself.

The sump is aluminium, not sure if that includes the original plug as well but maybe it's steel which I could weld a nut on too.

Well I have an arc welder anyway if it is aluminium

Was told not to drill as there is a chance any metal shards could enter the sump and damage the engine

Havnt heard of chiselling, must see if I can YouTube it or find a guide.

Might be worth just giving to a local mechanic and asking him to do it. Although he would have to change the oil once it came out and that might be a different kettle of fish as he would charge for a minor service the and rip the ass out of it lol

Hi again,
be VERY careful that the one you've bought is actually correct, as the threads will be easily damaged if it's not quite right,

I once bought a car with a stuck drain plug (JTD), FFSH---:bang:
I used an angle grinder to carefully make 2 x parallel flats on it.., then got an adjustable spanner to grip the flats and undo it..,

Charlie

Back