General Oil smell from heater

Currently reading:
General Oil smell from heater

Josmx507

Hi
When the engine is warm and when the heater and interior fan are on, there is a strong smell of oil inside the car. Any ideas what this is?
Thanks

Hi
When the engine is warm and when the heater and interior fan are on, there is a strong smell of oil inside the car. Any ideas what this is?
Thanks

Depending on what engine my old 899 used to leak oil from the rocker cover and sit on the exhaust manifold and burn off and you could smell it through the heaters

My right driveshaft oil seal at the diff is leaking slightly, so I get a whiff of oil when stopped. It drips onto the exhaust, and only when running, so no stains on floor.
Need to identify the leak. If it is engine, normal checking and topping up will keep everything running. If it is the gearbox, top it up regularly, or you'll need a new gearbox.
(I've tried three times now to get the driveshaft out to replace the seal, damn thing is refusing to budge.)

Is it stronger when heater is set to hot or cold?

If it's smellier with the heater at cold then it is likely a leak burning off on the exhaust manifold (probably rocker cover gasket), or a split breather hose.

Out of interest, do you have an induction kit on it? If the breather has been set to breathe to vent to atmosphere, then you will get an oily smell in the car when stopped.

It's got an external oil breather from rocker cover. I think I've solved it now. Put the original breather back on

Back