General oil level sensor

Currently reading:
General oil level sensor

gazzauk

My 2000 1.9Jtd multipla has developed an small intermitant problem on start up.When i turn the ignition on & the computer does its self test occationally it shows "oil level low turn off engine" even though the oil is full and the oil pressure light goes out immediately.If i turn ignition off then try again it sometimes shows 4 out of 6 on the oil gauge again even though the oil is showing full on the dip stick. The first time it did it i added 1/4 of a litre of oil and got the "oil level too high " warning and removed the extra oil i added .The gauge then was ok and reading full. Im sure it must be either a faulty sensor or more likely ,as the car has been stood outside in the damp for 6 weeks & the fault is only intermitant, corrosion on the connecting plug to the sensor. Apart from this prob the car runs great.
Has anybody else had this problem and what was the fix ?
Were is the oil level sensor located and how easy is it to access & remove?
Any help would be much appreciated.

My Multipla has had this problem since I bought it. Sometimes it is fine, sometimes it reads too high or too low, and sometimes I get "Oil Sensor Faulty".

I told my dealer about it, but they say it isn't worth bothering about. I bought it second hand from another garage around 40 miles away and I could never be bothered with the hassle of trying to get them to fix it if my local dealer said it wasn't a serious problem.

After a few months it seemed to settle down and only occasionally read wrong. However it started playing up again just after an oil change. I fully expect it to settle down again until the next change.

Hi
I've just bought a '51 Multipla JTD and it shows 'Oil level too high'
on the display each time I start it.
However the dipstick level is OK, so I guess the thing to do is ignore
the display.
I will get the dealer to sort it one of these days, but I'm not getting too tense about it

Got radio code? New style multiplas suffer from this as the cluster has to be resety or it thinks it has too much oil/pressure...just noticed yours is old style but I think the system is the same.

Back