Technical Oil cooler installation

Currently reading:
Technical Oil cooler installation

I think that you will find, if you look at Tom's initial comment, that this something he has seen and questioned the sense in putting the oil-cooler in that location. I think that we all agree that it is a pretty daft place to put ANY sort of cooler!

Good point! Sorry Tom!

Yes just found it somewhere in the net and wanted to share with you, not mine. it could be cool if it was on the other side of the head instead. Anyway just for ref. guys.

I want to order parts for the conversion like unions etc so I was thinking about using 10 or 12mm hose to connect radiator with engine, what you think? I am going to use rubber hose and not those braided hi press hoses.

I want to order parts for the conversion like unions etc so I was thinking about using 10 or 12mm hose to connect radiator with engine, what you think? I am going to use rubber hose and not those braided hi press hoses.

Hello Thomas, I would council that you use at least 12mm internal dimension hose, the braided hose is only your choice. You will find that the modification to the oil pump will only allow a low volume of oil to pass to the cooler as you are only diverting through a small orifice fitting. The 12mm hose will assist in lowering the temperature and help prevent any possible pressure build-up. I have found that with a similar size hose and system my oil pressure does not drop below 2bar when hot, but again this will depend on the efficiency your pump.
Ian.

Tom; if you look through the U-tube film:---"Fiat 500 Abarth 760cc d'epoca elaborata giala" you will see how they have installed the oil-cooler under the car.It is on;y a brief look, but it might be of help to you.

Thanks Tom, modification is going well overcoming problems one by one and I will soon post photos. I think underfloor is the best position to install the cooler but I might first put it close to the dynamo Not sure yet. Bought a small motorcycle cooler which fits nicely inside the bay.

Oil cooler mod finished. Looking good so far with no leaks, quiet difficult modification but in the end looks ok. Cooler comes from GSXr 750 as i was advised from Michael ''MOD500"(y) Oil pump gear is blocked with M10x1.5 allen screw and then a by pass 2.3mm hole opened

Attachments

• 20190407_181239.jpg
    20190407_181239.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 96
  • 20190407_190519.jpg
    20190407_190519.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 90
  • 20190407_190526.jpg
    20190407_190526.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 85
  • 20190410_075145.jpg
    20190410_075145.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 88
  • 20190410_102629.jpg
    20190410_102629.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Some more photos and a video of the beast...

Attachments

• 20190421_201321.jpg
    20190421_201321.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 101
  • 20190421_191808.jpg
    20190421_191808.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 99
  • 20190421_191657.jpg
    20190421_191657.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 110
  • 20190421_191647.jpg
    20190421_191647.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 96
  • 20190410_192146.jpg
    20190410_192146.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 99
  • 20190421_191641.jpg
    20190421_191641.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Oil cooler mod finished. Looking good so far with no leaks, quiet difficult modification but in the end looks ok. Cooler comes from GSXr 750 as i was advised from Michael ''MOD500"(y) Oil pump gear is blocked with M10x1.5 allen screw and then a by pass 2.3mm hole opened

Well done Thomas, that's a good looking job. Let us know how your temperatures are during the year please. (y)(y)(y)(y)
Ian.

Looks to be a very tidy installation Thomas, but may I suggest that now that you know the exact length required for all the hoses, you take them down to a 'Hose company' and get them re-made with 'crimped' ends instead of jubilee clips. I just don't like Jubilee clips on 'pressure' hoses---they have a habit of coming loose, which does you no favours with regard to oil pressure!

Tom i agree with you, one of the hoses already is leaking but I was planning anyway to put two clips in each hose fitting and better type also. I first want to see if the cooler is effective there, if not i will put it under the car. So i am not going to make crimped hoses until i decide the final configuration.

Hi,
My Punto(75hp) oil cooler was failed(Oil mixed with Coolant). Found this in very earlier stage. Actually I bought a "Oil Cooler" from used market. The condition is excellent. But it is a 90hp Oil Cooler. Confirmed by my mechanic too. Do I fix the 90Hp "Oil Cooler" in 75hp Punto? If anyone explained in technical, its so helpful to me. Thanks in advance.

So it is been some time now with my oil cooler installed and hot days are here. Last Sunday i had a short trip with family in and outside temp around 32C. Oil temp never exceed 100c +- 5 in the highway but also while hill climbing. What i have noticed with the little cooler is that when oil get hot in the traffic as soon as you run in open road temp drops faster than before, i am not sure what is the gain in temp drop but don't forget that cooler is installed inside the engine bay, so there is plenty of room for further improvement. After 20 min continuously with 80-90 km/h in the highway when i almost stopped for a couple of minutes in a junction temp climb from 95 to 115 almost immediately!
Thomas

So it is been some time now with my oil cooler installed and hot days are here. Last Sunday i had a short trip with family in and outside temp around 32C. Oil temp never exceed 100c +- 5 in the highway but also while hill climbing. What i have noticed with the little cooler is that when oil get hot in the traffic as soon as you run in open road temp drops faster than before, i am not sure what is the gain in temp drop but don't forget that cooler is installed inside the engine bay, so there is plenty of room for further improvement. After 20 min continuously with 80-90 km/h in the highway when i almost stopped for a couple of minutes in a junction temp climb from 95 to 115 almost immediately!
Thomas

Hi Thomas, thanks for the info do you have the lower engine bay plate fitted?? You may find the oïl temp will be lower if you fit one???
Ian

Ian I have the lower bay cover in the car but have opened the hood on it's lower end so oil cooler is not completely enclosed.

I have fixed 90hp - Oil cooler in my 75hp Punto. It is working fine. No Issues. Crossed 4000 KMs. Not able to notice any difference.

hi guys i'm building a 126 engine and wanting to know where the oil pressure is gained cause my under standing if the hole is the same size as the fitting ID 6mm the pressure will be low(n),

wouldn't it be the same result if you weld a #10 fitting to timing cover and drill the 2.3 or 2.5mm hole through the cover instead of threading the oil pump gear method?

Last edited:
hi guys i'm building a 126 engine and wanting to know where the oil pressure is gained cause my under standing if the hole is the same size as the fitting ID 6mm the pressure will be low(n),

wouldn't it be the same result if you weld a #10 fitting to timing cover and drill the 2.3 or 2.5mm hole through the cover instead of threading the oil pump gear method?

No it won't be the same because then only a small amount of oil will pass through your oil cooler and the rest will follow its normal path through the gear that you want to live unblocked. If you do the opposite you will have more oil through your radiator and less through its old path.
Normally you can block the gear by 100% but someone said it might build up pressure when cold and might blow the seals, that is why this 2.3mm hole, to relief some pressure. In my set up more or less 2/3 of the oil goes through the radiator and 1/3 is following its original path.
I think that the size of the hole i open on the cover was the same as the internal diameter of the gear, 9mm i believe.

Last edited:
with the mod insert grub screw on the oil pump gear what oil pressure are you getting with remote filter and oil cooler??
i read somewhere 2 bar that seems low...

with the mod insert grub screw on the oil pump gear
You mean completely blocked? because if you make the 2.3mm hole pressure will drop more but 2 bar seems about right, those engines have low oil press after all. I haven't oil press gauge installed to tell you what my press is. Maybe other members here with this setup can help.

Back