Technical Oil cap creamy

Currently reading:
Technical Oil cap creamy

Lmb

I picked up the car (17 plate Abarth) on Friday, husband checked it out and noticed creamy sludge on the oil cap. He thinks head gasket. Help please. Seems to run fine (not done a long drive as yet though), temp gauge sits in the middle where it should and no smoke out the exhaust.

Attachments

• IMG_8347.jpeg
    IMG_8347.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_8346.jpeg
    IMG_8346.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 34
Might just be moisture thats gathered under the cap if it’s been started and stopped a few times whilst moved around the garage you bought it from. It’ll disperse on a good run if that’s what it is

That is not unusual and I would not worry to much at this stage. I took my Panda round a lot of dealers with similar and they said sealed crank case engines tend to do this. I was taken on a tour of all teh Pandas and 500s they had in on the day. My Panda was worse than yours too. They said it was much better than average. SUggestt you google catch can on the Panda Mk3 forum and see what I did. The catch can eliminated this totally. It might be normal, but I dont like water in my lubrication system. Catch can nad pipes were not a lot from eBay.

If it is not using coolant that is good. Just check that the cooling hoses are not over pressured, Take the cap off the header / radiator (when cold), run the engine and look for bubbles and froth in the radiator if none that is good. Replace the cap and see the pressure isn't excessive. No balooniong of hoses. If it looks OK I would say consider a catch can just for peace of mind.

My car has been fine for some years since originally inspected. I have taken further expert advice and been told its pretty well considered normal. Advice? Change the oil on time and used exactly the oil specifiied in the hand book.

My 4 cylinder 500 does it too, 😕

I was concerned, but 18 months later, the coolant level hasn't moved 🤔

I think it just runs cool, OK in the summer, not ideal in 0 to 5 daily temperatures

IF you have warranty.. Mention it now, and keep a careful watch on the Coolant level

DO NOT let it spoil your new car though 👍 @Lmb

It looks great, are you moving up from a 500 or is it "all new to you"?

If it worries you fit a catch can it stops this complelely in my experience. Both our 1.2s so equipped. No space under the bonnet for the TA or it would have one too. Fiat dealers unviversally say its normal. In my view that still doesnt make it desirable in any way!

Back