Technical How much effect could the wrong oil have on engine?

Currently reading:
Technical How much effect could the wrong oil have on engine?

wonderwoman7731

Hi,

My Mums 500 abarth recently got some work done at a local garage. To cut a long story short, they handed her back a car that was misfiring and told her it was the ECU. Sent that away, not that cause…
Whilst looking at her garage invoice, she noticed it wasn’t 10W-50 used, it was a Quartz Ineo FDE 0W-30. Changed the and have been trying to get the misfire to reappear, but so far, had nothing.

Went in to the garage who denyed the oil was used, then tried to say it wouldn’t effect the engine like that.

Can someone tell me if I’m crazy or it is plausible that the completely wrong oil could have caused these issues?

Hi,

My Mums 500 abarth recently got some work done at a local garage. To cut a long story short, they handed her back a car that was misfiring and told her it was the ECU. Sent that away, not that cause…
Whilst looking at her garage invoice, she noticed it wasn’t 10W-50 used, it was a Quartz Ineo FDE 0W-30. Changed the and have been trying to get the misfire to reappear, but so far, had nothing.

Went in to the garage who denyed the oil was used, then tried to say it wouldn’t effect the engine like that.

Can someone tell me if I’m crazy or it is plausible that the completely wrong oil could have caused these issues?
Modern engines certainly require specific oils, so if you give more model details I am sure someone will confirm the correct oil for car.
I have read on forum that Twin air engines have hydraulic controlled valves in engine that must have correct oils.

Modern engines certainly require specific oils, so if you give more model details I am sure someone will confirm the correct oil for car.
I have read on forum that Twin air engines have hydraulic controlled valves in engine that must have correct oils.
Sorry knew it was missing something. It’s a 2015 500 abarth custom, 1.4, 133 BHP.
I know that 10W-50 is the right oil for the car, I also know that is not what the garage put in to it. The question I really want confirmed, is, is that enough to cause the engine to misfire.

Sorry knew it was missing something. It’s a 2015 500 abarth custom, 1.4, 133 BHP.
I know that 10W-50 is the right oil for the car, I also know that is not what the garage put in to it. The question I really want confirmed, is, is that enough to cause the engine to misfire.
I don't have specific knowledge , however if yours is a Twin Air then they are very fussy about engine oil as I understand due to their hydraulically operated electronically ecu controlled engine valves, I am sure other members here will be able to give you a detailed explanation. :)

Hi
I THINK your Abarth is a Multiair
( 4 cylinder version of a twinair..)

Multiairs develop misfires when oil actuated valve operation is compromised

So wrong oil...effecting valve control... is certainly a possibility

Are you saying its now ok after another change..now with the correct oil ??

I think your Abarth actually is a Tjet (Multiair is US spec). ) 0W30 might be too thin (especially warm) and might find it's way into the cilinders and foul the sparkplugs. I would take out the plugs, clean them and maybe even spray some carbcleaner into the holes, turn the engine ovr without plugs to blow out t the oil and cleaner and then put he plugs back in to see if it worked.
I run 5W50 (Valvoline) in mine BTW without any issues.

gr J

Aye I'ken :)

T.jet.. old tech.. @2006 bucket and shim
Mjet newer @2010 solenoid

In a 'traditional' engine.. I cannot see a 'misfire' being brought about

Spark AND fuelling remains unchanged

Multiair..it could effect valve operation.. so compromise fuelling

Need more from OP really
@wonderwoman7731

Start of engine number.. to help ID it maybe..??

Last edited:
Hi All,

Thank you very much for the replies. Sorry I haven’t answered about the car specs, Fiat’s aren’t my usual bag. I also hadn’t realised the differences in specs across continents.

Anyway, once the oil was changed, the engine ran fine so I believe the answer is yes, it makes a big difference.

The car now has other issues and won’t start. Keeps blowing the F17 fuse for the Powertrain, I am now at my wits end with it.

Hi All,

Thank you very much for the replies. Sorry I haven’t answered about the car specs, Fiat’s aren’t my usual bag. I also hadn’t realised the differences in specs across continents.

Anyway, once the oil was changed, the engine ran fine so I believe the answer is yes, it makes a big difference.

The car now has other issues and won’t start. Keeps blowing the F17 fuse for the Powertrain, I am now at my wits end with it.

Tell us about the NEW ISSUE..

These cars are not that complex..

Somebody should know the fix :)

F17 is according the the
Tell us what F17 feeds, it'll help diagnose.
Has this problem occurred immediately after changing the oil? If so who changed the oil, and did they break a wire nearby?
Hi, thank for the reply.

According to the manual, it’s “Powertrain control module” One of three I believe?
I’ve had a look for a diagram, although I’m not sure if it’s the right one, but it would appears it is the feed to the ignition coil and injections. I’ve tried unplugging each coil and checking if it still fuses, it does.
My Scanner is also now not connecting and reading, so I’m wonder the ECU is goosed?

I changed the oil, it ran for a week after the oil change with no issues. She parked it and then it wouldn’t start again. So infuriating!

Being a 2 door 500 body

2 biggies are Failed earth cable.. and damaged hatch wiring

Neither cost a fortune.. but can cause chaos
I replaced the Earth cable below the battery about 2 months ago whilst chasing what turned out to be a flat battery caused by the blue and me module.
Is there another one?

Had a really quick look at the boot hatch wiring, couldn’t see anything obvious but might re-check that one. Thanks for the suggestions!

Earth cable Battery to Chassis to Gearbox.. sounds like you covered that :)

B+M seems to be a common issue..

Did you replace it .. or just disconnected ??

Scuttle drains.. not got a dashboard..or loom.. full of water ??
Yeah, seems to be. Replaced it, I believe it still needs a proxy alignment as, although the blue and me now works, the mileage still flashes.

I’m going to check the boot/hatch wiring tonight and also trickle charge the battery. I did test it and was getting good voltage but then again, anything other than perfect sets this car off track. It’s less than 2 months old so i know the battery age/integrity isn’t the issue.

Back