General Oh No!

Currently reading:
General Oh No!

_71999460_flood_at_lesmahagow.jpg

Well the advert on the telly showed them driving out of the sea! Although the small print on the screen did warn not to try at home.
The gate on the right gives a clue to the depth. Why would you risk it? Especially with one there already. We have to share the roads with people making these decisions.

I have no idea of the story behind the photo and neither have I researched it, but does anyone know if the car has been parked further away than where it is shown, been caught in flood water and floated further down? Or is it the result of the worst case of motoring decision making ever made/gross stupidity?

I really do hope it is not the latter, though to be honest I do see drivers making the most bizarre and ridiculous of decisions on a daily basis in my day job as a full time driver.

I have no idea of the story behind the photo and neither have I researched it, but does anyone know if the car has been parked further away than where it is shown, been caught in flood water and floated further down? Or is it the result of the worst case of motoring decision making ever made/gross stupidity?

I've not researched it either, but the fact that both cars have their doors shut would indicate there was far less water there when they were abandoned. Also, this could have happened in darkness - there's quite a lot of it about in Scotland at this time of year.

Running into slightly too deep water in pitch darkness and having to abandon the car may mean the drivers are less obviously stupid than the photo would suggest.

I'd like to hear the full story before passing judgment.

Last edited:
Not far from me. 'Bog Road' (aptly named) is the name of this particular stretch of road. Runs under the M74 just south of Lesmahagy. Road is one that would only be used by locals, so no frigging excuse for being an eejit and attempting to drive through it. When I saw it on the news I thought 'Oh ****' hope it is not the wife, had me checking insurance policies (both for the car, and the wife).

Quick edit. As jrkitching has suggested, possibly happened in pitch darkness. However, this road is only used by locals so common sense should have prevailed considering it was absolutely pissing down last night. All of the houses in my neighbourhood have experienced serious flooding issues. My septic tank is overflowing, and my neighbours house looks like it is floating in a loch.
Serious flooding in Scotland today. BBC news managed to miss it, or should I say EBC news. Sorry about the dig, just sometimes it seems Scotland does not exist.

Last edited:
The explanation of a road possibly only used by locals did spring to mind. Trust me, I wasn't passing judgement, I was merely questioning how the vehicles might have ended up in that situation. There are many roads that are generally only really used by the local community and they are often the culprits for ending up in situations like that when the weather turns foul. Familiarity and all that.

Google map it and you will see the location. It is just north of the landscape vandalism caused by Scottish Coal, looks like a bomb crater.

Here it is. Looks to be permanently damp.

But judging by the (lack of) slope in the road, those cars must have got stuck when the water level was a lot lower.

Last edited:
Here it is. Looks to be permanently damp.

But judging by the (lack of) slope in the road, those cars must have got stuck when the water level was a lot lower.

From memory I am sure there is quite a bit of a slope down to the motorway underpass. I'll be driving down that way tomorrow so I'll have a wee look.
My neighbour has been driving for over 40 years, he told me that he has never before seen so much road flooding, particularly on the M74. More rain forecast over next few days, so looks like our pumps will be working overtime clearing the flood water. Another close neighbour owns a business a few miles away, it has been destroyed by a combination of last weeks strong winds and last nights heavy rain.
Anyway. The doom and gloom report in my part of the country is now ending. Lets get back to talking about cars.

Serious flooding in Scotland today. BBC news managed to miss it, or should I say EBC news. Sorry about the dig, just sometimes it seems Scotland does not exist.[/QUOTE]

Its ok about the dig. Personally I believe it should be called SEBC (southern England) as us in the north east (humber) are always ignored. We never get any coverage and was completely ignored in 2007 floods when most of Hull was 3feet underwater. And don't even start me on the tidal surge on December 5th SEBC barely said anything.

it's o.k. the dog's about to go in and retrieve it..!! :D

quite agree about national news coverage (n)

BUT MOST of the population live within an hour of London :rolleyes:

that's why they've buggered about with regional TV so much :bang:

charlie

And here's me living in the middle of England still watching BBC News South/ West, because I still like to know what's going on in Dorset. The joys of having Freesat, able to watch whatever region in the UK you fancy!

Back