Technical OBD

Currently reading:
Technical OBD

Popitinpete

Evening , just a quickie, do the cheapo (£20/30) OBD2 readers readily available read codes on the 169? I've seen talk of laptops and downloads and software and all sorts mentioned to be able to read codes, hoping I can just plug and read, thanks.

Good evening, Pete. I've had to give up with my cheap bluetooth OBD2 interface.

I wouldn't recommend it, and have come to the conclusion that instead of wasting £10 on a blinking box, I should have got a decent interface to run with MultiECUScan.

I know this one comes recommended: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Diag...d=&campid=5335817148&toolid=10001&mpt=7422291

You might be lucky, I know some users on here have reported good results with cheap OBD2 readers, including @AndyRKett, who's made a video tutorial here:

Even so, I'm not sure if any of them are as simple as plug and read. I spent ages fiddling with drivers, bit rates, buffer settings.

You might find this thread helpful: https://www.fiatforum.com/threads/multiecuscan.476360/#post-4606721

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Evening , just a quickie, do the cheapo (£20/30) OBD2 readers readily available read codes on the 169? I've seen talk of laptops and downloads and software and all sorts mentioned to be able to read codes, hoping I can just plug and read, thanks.
yes, no and sort of

there's a few computers in cars nowadays

such as body, engine, abs, steering, brakes, dash and probably more

A cheap unit will only normally connect to the engine, read errors and clear them

as they go more expensive they read and connect to more modules

I have a very cheap one I found on a car boot. I use it quite a lot as its very fast if its just an engine check light on. A more useful one can also display live data.

I also have a multiplexer that works with WOW and Delphi. This allows you to view all modules and display live data on virtually every sensor, recalibrate the steering, adjust the auto locking and so on

very similar to multiECUscan

garages generally go one step further. Its all built into what resembles a tablet.

in conclusion you get more functionality the more you spend. A general scanner for Europe cars that can Reset service interval, reset air bag, clear and read engine codes and read live data will do 90% of the time

maybe someone can recommend one know to work and tested with the Panda I look a few months ago a few around £50 looked tempting.

yes, no and sort of

there's a few computers in cars nowadays

such as body, engine, abs, steering, brakes, dash and probably more

A cheap unit will only normally connect to the engine, read errors and clear them

as they go more expensive they read and connect to more modules

I have a very cheap one I found on a car boot. I use it quite a lot as its very fast if its just an engine check light on. A more useful one can also display live data.

I also have a multiplexer that works with WOW and Delphi. This allows you to view all modules and display live data on virtually every sensor, recalibrate the steering, adjust the auto locking and so on

very similar to multiECUscan

garages generally go one step further. Its all built into what resembles a tablet.

in conclusion you get more functionality the more you spend. A general scanner for Europe cars that can Reset service interval, reset air bag, clear and read engine codes and read live data will do 90% of the time

maybe someone can recommend one know to work and tested with the Panda I look a few months ago a few around £50 looked tempting.
Thanks, yes I know about all of the computers in cars nowadays, and what we use in the trade now and what we use to see live data etc etc,just wanted to see if a basic code reader will read basic codes on the 169.thanks.

Last edited:
Some of the ELM interfaces have a 120ohm resistor between CAN H and L, which rather upsets the Panda. You can purchase 'Italian' ELM interfaces, or just use a cheapy and remove that resistor (sometimes 2x 60ohm resistors).

As above, you will need an adaptor to speak to the power steering/abs (and others for some other modules). Details should be around somewhere, but the kits aren't particularly expensive.

I read the original question as they want a plug and play £20-£30 stand alone unit.
I dont like recommending something I haven't tried myself and mine is a least 20 years old. The cheapest I could find that reads and clears engine codes is

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002246551636.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.60741e0aSsJ0Sm&algo_pvid=fb396540-3149-4a30-8228-c869519947f4&algo_exp_id=fb396540-3149-4a30-8228-c869519947f4-8&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id":"12000024698393314"}

seems to get Good reviews

will only connect the the engine module

couldn't find any stand alone that adds extra functionality till you get to around the £60 mark

is nice that it simultaneously displays two data streams. Say throttle angle and O2 voltage. 3x the price probably not worth it in my opinion

Last edited:
Good evening, Pete. I've had to give up with my cheap bluetooth OBD2 interface.

I wouldn't recommend it, and have come to the conclusion that instead of wasting £10 on a blinking box, I should have got a decent interface to run with MultiECUScan.

I know this one comes recommended: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Diag...d=&campid=5335817148&toolid=10001&mpt=7422291

You might be lucky, I know some users on here have reported good results with cheap OBD2 readers, including @AndyRKett, who's made a video tutorial here:

Even so, I'm not sure if any of them are as simple as plug and read. I spent ages fiddling with drivers, bit rates, buffer settings.

You might find this thread helpful: https://www.fiatforum.com/threads/multiecuscan.476360/#post-4606721

Hello, that's most useful, thank you for your time and trouble 👍🏼

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Some of the ELM interfaces have a 120ohm resistor between CAN H and L, which rather upsets the Panda. You can purchase 'Italian' ELM interfaces, or just use a cheapy and remove that resistor (sometimes 2x 60ohm resistors).

As above, you will need an adaptor to speak to the power steering/abs (and others for some other modules). Details should be around somewhere, but the kits aren't particularly expensive.
Hi, thanks for your reply, very helpful. It was just for basic engine checks etc, 👍🏼

I read the original question as they want a plug and play £20-£30 stand alone unit.
I dont like recommending something I haven't tried myself and mine is a least 20 years old. The cheapest I could find that reads and clears engine codes is

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002246551636.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.60741e0aSsJ0Sm&algo_pvid=fb396540-3149-4a30-8228-c869519947f4&algo_exp_id=fb396540-3149-4a30-8228-c869519947f4-8&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id":"12000024698393314"}

seems to get Good reviews

will only connect the the engine module

couldn't find any stand alone that adds extra functionality till you get to around the £60 mark

is nice that it simultaneously displays two data streams. Say throttle angle and O2 voltage. 3x the price probably not worth it in my opinion
Hi, no I didn't ''want' or was looking for a £20/30 reader, just needed to know if basic engine codes can be read by one of the cheapo ones, thank you 👍🏼

Back