OBD port..NO connection = options..??

Currently reading:
OBD port..NO connection = options..??

Hi,
got airbag trouble on a 2005 Idea,

using MES I cannot get a connection to Airbag ECU, ( or engine):bang:

I can get BOTH on my panda..so looks like a plug issue on the Idea.., any "ideas" where to start..??

are there indeed 2 / 3 separate ECU's..( engine / ABS/ Airbag) or just dirrerent sections of the 1 "master ECU"

thanks as always..!!, (y)

Charlie

Are you using the right cable? Looking on the MES site it says you need a KKL cable with the panda to access the airbag ecu but requires and ELM cable for the Idea. Obvious I know but need to start somewhere. Also i'm guessing you're usign a registered version of MES?

Last edited:
Are you using the right cable? Looking on the MES site it says you need a KKL cable with the panda to access the airbag ecu but requires and ELM cable for the Idea. Obvious I know but need to start somewhere. Also i'm guessing you're usign a registered version of MES?

thanks, (y)

keep getting "high latency" :(with my ELM lead.. so resorted to the KKL which worked well on the panda..,

never though of checking the "compatability" lists.., :bang:

can you tell I'm new to this :rolleyes:,
it's the free version..but working well on my Panda stuff..!! (y)

cheers,
Charlie

Hi,
got airbag trouble on a 2005 Idea,

using MES I cannot get a connection to Airbag ECU, ( or engine):bang:

I can get BOTH on my panda..so looks like a plug issue on the Idea.., any "ideas" where to start..??

are there indeed 2 / 3 separate ECU's..( engine / ABS/ Airbag) or just dirrerent sections of the 1 "master ECU"

thanks as always..!!, (y)

Charlie

all seperate ecu's
you need red adapter lead for the airbag ecu

mines not registered and works fine with airbags and steering

I was looking at the MES supported vehicles list, cable and version requirements are different dependant on the engine according to that. Unless you also have a 1.4 16v in which case MES site needs checking :confused:

Last edited:
all seperate ecu's
you need red adapter lead for the airbag ecu

thanks Jon,
that is what I thought, ;)

I actually bought a 2nd set of coloured leads after my 1st failed attempts..,

realised it was PC configuration I needed.. and got the KKL to work.., (y)( with BOTH RED leads for airbag)
BUT still no luck with the ELM 327 :bang:( either "bare" or with the RED lead)

I think you said before that you had no luck with yours either.. no issue for the Panda,
but I've got 3 other FIATs to use the MES on..:(

anybody point me in the right direction for port speeds etc, for the ELM 327..

I'm pretty sure I've set-up port speeds as MES instructions.. but "latency too high" is a constant..:cry:

Charlie

Last edited:
theres a little drop down box to slow latency down on the screen where you tell it if using elm or kkl you then let it go through the procedure again once its recognised your lead
lead needs plugging into car ignition on

theres a little drop down box to slow latency down on the screen where you tell it if using elm or kkl you then let it go through the procedure again once its recognised your lead
lead needs plugging into car ignition on

is this part of the "TEST" sequence via Bottom left key of MES ( F9?), :confused:
I use this to set-up the leads + ports with basic speeds + preferences..

then go into system stuff on PC to change the more complex stuff,
am I missing something..?? :eek:

Charlie

is this part of the "TEST" sequence via Bottom left key of MES ( F9?), :confused:
I use this to set-up the leads + ports with basic speeds + preferences..

then go into system stuff on PC to change the more complex stuff,
am I missing something..?? :eek:

Charlie

without firing my dedicated slow as horses windows pc up i cant help suffice to say get on the set up page on mes where you pick the leads and keep messing

i use on usb port for kkl port 3
and another one for elm port 4
on an old wind up dell (the best)

if you are serious about your car, scrap the leads and just get the multiplex version. It is not expensive - about 200 quid, cheap as chips. The cantiecar interface is absolutely the dog's ****** !(y)
No buggering about changing leads and BT too if you want.

Back