General NSF brake over heating - Fiat Ducato Autosleeper

Currently reading:
General NSF brake over heating - Fiat Ducato Autosleeper

Dazz3r

Hello everyone.

Took the van out for a little run yesterday, and possibly 5 miles down the motorway noticed the dreaded brake pad burning smell.

Managed to get off the motorway, and it seems to be the near side front. Tried cooling it down with bottled water. Wheel and brakes were cooking...left it for a couple of hours, went for a walk before heading back.

Same thing happened again in return leg, and this was after driving it really carefully as to reduce heavy braking.... had to stop once again. I noticed brake pedal was hard. Unable to press... Possibly the brake fluid too hot?? Ceased caliper?

I know this is a general question and the best advice would be to take it to a mechanic, which I will of course, but just wanted to know if anyone has experienced this before, and put my mind at rest.

Thanks in advance.

Might not be something as extreme as a seized caliper, could just be a pad got a bit stuck, if so it might just be an hour or so labor and some copper grease
Thanks, would that cause the foot brake to go hard? I guess it would if I was pumping it and it was stuck .

Cheers.

It will soon build heat, just through friction..

Has it been parked for months? 🤔

The Piston Should retract a little as you lift your foot, and the pads should move a little too

Doesn't take much for something to bind, and the constant friction will get it HOTpretty quickly

IF you have the kit to safely raise that corner, you can remove the wheel and use a Big size G. Clamp to squeeze the Piston back in a little, then manipulate the pads once the pressure is off

This will give it a chance of a better drive to wherever is going to do the Brake Service

DO PUMP THE PEDAL, before engaging 1st gear though,
you may need several pedal pumps to get things back into contact 😉

My way of unsticking calipers. Remove the caliper and make sure the pads are put back in place. Put a spanner or similar between the pads i.e. in place of the disc. Get someone to press the brake pedal. The piston should move and clamp said spanner tight. Lever the piston back in and repeat. Push the piston back in again. Clean pads and caliper and reassemble. Pump the brake pedal until the pads are back in contact with the disc before driving and testing. This will either work and free things at least for a while or a full repair is required. Its sometimes a good thing to replace the pads so the piston does not go back into the position where it was stuck. Change the brake fluid regualrly to reduce the risk of internal brake rusting due to the hygroscopic nature of brake fluid. My experience is that once seized unless an overhaul is done the problem will recur. Campers are soemthing people tend to park up and leave for too long. Inactivity is the biggest enemy of any machine!

Back