Not a master mechanic

Currently reading:
Not a master mechanic

Just found a TV program called "Ant Anstead Master Mechanic".

Premise is that Ant (formerly of wheeler-dealers) is buliding a replica Alfa Romeo 158 based on Spider bits. That's fine but the techniques and explanations Ant gives are just plain wrong,

Latest one was the sliding joint in the drive shaft. which apparently allows for any movement in the engine and gearbox and makes it easier to get the shaft in. No mention of allowing the live axle to go up and down!

And lots of work just appears already done as if by magic. It's so bad I have to watch it. For a contrast on how to do a special search for "Project Binky" on youtube and prepare to spend a few hours watching it.

Robert G8RPI.

Last edited:
Just found a TV program called "Ant Anstead Master Mechanic".

Premise is that Ant (formerly of wheeler-dealers) is buliding a replica Alfa Romeo 158 based on Spider bits. That's fine but the techniques and explanations Ant gives are just plain wrong,

Latest one was tha sliding joit in the drive shaft. which apparently allows for any movement in the engine and gearbox and makes it easier to get the shaft in. No mention of allowing the live axle to go up and down!

And lots of work just appears already done as if by magic. It's so bad I have to watch it. For a contrast on how to do a special search for "Project Binky" on youtube and prepare to spend a few hours watching it.

Robert G8RPI.

I saw the trailers a couple of weeks ago..

Sounds like I saw the best of it.. :eek:

Last edited:
It's so bad I have to watch it. For a contrast on how to do a special search for "Project Binky" on youtube and prepare to spend a few hours watching it.

Robert G8RPI.

These programs make very amusing watching and do seem to omit quite a lot of the truly difficult stuff don't they. I get great entertainment watching closely to see if any of the nuts and bolts being removed have fresh spanner marks on then - which would indicate it's been tried, and maybe slackened, before filming was started. (I'm not criticizing, I'm bl***y sure I'd be doing that too to avoid embarrassment) Another which makes me absolutely cringe is Car SOS, and it's not Fuzz that causes the embarrassment!

Wouldn't it be interesting to get close access to one of these "restored" vehicles and actually see how well it was done?

On a different tack and whilst we are talking about "restored/overhauled/reconditioned" vehicles. Have you seen the adverts on the telly for these on line car sales outfits - which seem to be the flavour of the month just now don't they - There's one presented by a chap who, I would guess, knows less about cars than my grandson and boy does it show - It's a cringeworthy experience watching it. Another claims all their cars have been "reconditioned". I thought reconditioned had a legal meaning of "restored to as good as new"? More appropriate might be "overhauled" or "refurbished" don't you think?

PS. Project Binky? yes very interesting and well worth some time if you can spare it.

Last edited:
I seem to remember that Ant Anstead's background is in art and design. All his mechanical skills are self-taught. I've seen bits of his work in the past, and avoid the programmes as they'll have me shouting at the screen. Or just crying.

Fuzz Townshend is a time-served mechanic, learning his trade on Coventry's buses. He used to write a column for one of the classic car magazines, giving that up when he started his own restoration business. He knows what he is doing, and has a high standard, always a pleasure to watch, but Car SOS is so painful with the other guy being a prat all the time.

Do you know what, it really doesn’t bother me, it is what it is. I’ll watch most vehicle related programs, good, bad, or just plain daft. I do get it that there are some annoying gits on some shows, but there are worse things in my book. Mike brewer is possibly up there as an annoying geezer. He seems to get fatter with every new series. OLD OUT YER HAND…….:D

brewer is is an old style salesman. Nice enough bloke but do make sure you check the car with a fine-tooth. Edd China covers the oil bits pretty well but literally brushes over the rusty brackets and tin-wear on his restos. A quick wire brushing and waft with halfords satin black will last about 2 weeks. Why doesn't he discuss zinc metal spraying or other options that do the job properly and dont cost silly money.

brewer is is an old style salesman. Nice enough bloke but do make sure you check the car with a fine-tooth. Edd China covers the oil bits pretty well but literally brushes over the rusty brackets and tin-wear on his restos. A quick wire brushing and waft with halfords satin black will last about 2 weeks. Why doesn't he discuss zinc metal spraying or other options that do the job properly and dont cost silly money.
Because it's a TV show the work and what's covered on TV will be decided by the producer's not the mechanic presenter that as shown by the shows history they are happy to get rid off if they cause any issues

Like anyone's confused about it being a TV programme, but properly covering a reliable resto (e.g. zinc metal spray and etch primer) is easy footage they can add to the show.

I seem to remember that Ant Anstead's background is in art and design. All his mechanical skills are self-taught.

From Wikipedia:
"Anstead joined Hertfordshire Constabulary in 1999 and became a Police Constable first stationed at Bishop's Stortford. He moved to Cheshunt police station and then became a member of the Tactical Firearms Team (TFU) in Welwyn Garden City.[6] During his police career, Anstead received two commendations for acts of bravery.[7]

In 2005 Anstead resigned from the Police to pursue a career as a car builder. He started building and restoring cars for clients and built recreation cars and one-offs. He also built unique pieces of art and sculpture and many of his works are housed globally in museums and private collections."

Like anyone's confused about it being a TV programme, but properly covering a reliable resto (e.g. zinc metal spray and etch primer) is easy footage they can add to the show.

It's not really a a restoration show it's about doing a quick refurb and selling them off for profit (well apperntly but they didn't sell most of the cars and all the buyers are fake too)

Back