General Nexus 7 navigation in the 500

Currently reading:
General Nexus 7 navigation in the 500

RUI

Get Your Own Tile
OK it's not pretty but it looks like a good solution. I use my iphone as a wifi modem and everything just works on the nexus 7.
I think I will cut a slot in the dash panel (I have 4 of them in the garage) so it will just dock in to the dash.
The nexus 7 is only £150 ish. I only got got it because the wife is always using the ipad when I want to use it but its not bad at all
7609249934_129f013aee_b.jpg

OK it's not pretty but it looks like a good solution. I use my iphone as a wifi modem and everything just works on the nexus 7.
I think I will cut a slot in the dash panel (I have 4 of them in the garage) so it will just dock in to the dash.
The nexus 7 is only £150 ish. I only got got it because the wife is always using the ipad when I want to use it but its not bad at all
What do you intend using the tablet for ?
Do you not think that a dedicated sat nav and a smart phone at eye level would be safer option.
IMHO a tablet is too big for what you would need on the move and it could become a distraction to keeping your eye on the road.

I don't have a real use for it apart from surfing the web.
It works well as a satnav in that position most cars I have had in the last few years have had it there.

1.2 I like the look of the sport button more than the steering wheel so I changed it.

7609249934_129f013aee_b.jpg
Just a random note, I don't get why phone sat nav these days feel the need to be connected for maps and/or navigation. My Lumia 800 does it all offline and worked flawlessly in europe and didn't cost me anything in data :)

My iPhone does it all offline and the nexus will do it all offline. The only thing you need to be connected for is traffic updates.
I also use spotify to stream music. I have an unlimited data contract on my phone so I use a lot of data just because I can.

I don't have a real use for it apart from surfing the web.
It works well as a satnav in that position most cars I have had in the last few years have had it there.

Since I've taken over some of the driving from the OH recently sometimes covering 300-400 miles on a 2 day round trip I've found that a 4.3 inch is plenty as a Sat Nav along with the safety updates all at eye level since I've more or less turned off the voice guidance. Couldn't do without the traffic updates which includes road diversions which help to keep appointment times.

My iPhone does it all offline and the nexus will do it all offline. The only thing you need to be connected for is traffic updates.
I also use spotify to stream music. I have an unlimited data contract on my phone so I use a lot of data just because I can.

Haven't used Spotify but have seen a youtube on the 'perks' of the B&Me adapter (where it's needed on the older B&Me) and it has its quirks. Reckon that the xcarlink is worth looking at if you were into your music.

Over here they have clamped down on the download limit on smartphones to 1 gig and on the new contracts (e.g. 4S) have reduced it further to 0.5 gig. That means either having a dedicated broadband mifi setup where the device can run on battery power. The new ipad is not capable of becoming a hot spot unless you go with Meteor (E-Mobile) and I understand that the 'tethering' doesn't last anymore than 15 minutes. It does work on the iphone 4S (only have the 3GS) but I'd imagine if it was disabled there would be an outcry.

Is that an Android tablet? If so, get a bluetooth obd-II and the torque app. Hours of fun when you're driving it :)

RUI, a bit off topic, but how are you liking the Nexus? I've got a 16G one on order, and I should get it next week. I knew it had GPS, but is there a built-in/free navigation app.

Yes it is android I think you can get the same sort of app for my iPhone.

He nexus is great. I think I like it more than my iPad.
It comes with Google maps that has navigation built in.

Yes jellybean its the first android os I have used so I can't tell you if its any better than previous versions.
It is better in some ways than iOS but not as good at other things.

Droids are waaaaay better than Apples .... its a fact of life. The nexus looks great. If you could get a custom mount for it, id buy one off ya and give the Multi the biggest tech boost its ever seen.
Oh, and have ecuscan constantly running.
Ta

It's not way better just different.
The size is better than the larger iPad.

Or go for the in-dash gps.i thought you was getting another car rui

Attachments

• DASH 22.jpg
    DASH 22.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 500 2.png
    500 2.png
    56.8 KB · Views: 361
I am getting another car, I can still play with this one while I have it, or I may even keep this as well as the new car. I guess it will only be worth a few thousand so it may be worth keeping it.

Back