General New USA Abarth Ad - Do you think it is Hot?

Currently reading:
General New USA Abarth Ad - Do you think it is Hot?

Is the US A500 too racy...
http://autos.aol.com/article/fiat-500-abarth-ad/

You have the option to Vote !

Are you sure that the IHI turbo is used in the US A500?

I remember seeing a reference to the use of a Garrett turbo (as used on the GP, PE & 695) on one of the US 500 forums but I thought they were mistaken. Even the review below doesn't mention that it has multi-air but says that it is mechanically identical. I would be very surprised if the IHI wasn't used.

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/los_angeles/2011/1111_2012_fiat_500_abarth_first_look/index.html
Although the 2012 500 Abarth offered in North America is devoid of any and all esseesse references, it's mechanically identical. According to the official spec sheet, the turbocharged 1.4-liter I-4 delivers 160 hp at 5500 rpm, while peak torque -- a stout 170 lb-ft -- is attained between 2500 and 4000 rpm. That power is transferred to the front wheels via a five-speed manual transmission (no automatic is available) and an electronic limited-slip differential.

Last edited:
I suspect that that ad could never be shown in its current form in the UK. Not for the "latte foam" issue, but for the fact the car is plainly shown driving fast and even (stop me from fainting) skidding.

So pick your country: the USA where puritans won't let you see ... err ... cow jizz, or the UK where the health and safety nazis won't let you be told that cars can go fast.

I suspect that that ad could never be shown in its current form in the UK. Not for the "latte foam" issue, but for the fact the car is plainly shown driving fast and even (stop me from fainting) skidding.

So pick your country: the USA where puritans won't let you see ... err ... cow jizz, or the UK where the health and safety nazis won't let you be told that cars can go fast.

Yes I thought it was rather irresponsible to show a car sliding!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

That said I think there are enough people with low IQ's here who would think that because the advert showed it that they should do it and it's OK....

Shock! Horror! Advertisement does not tell truth!

I think the 'knives are out' for the Jennifer Lopez ads so can you really could blame Fiat for tyring to gauge the re-action on the US A500 with a 'youtube' commerical. When I voted YES - it gave an overall result of 80%. I wonder what cater was the other 20% in - hopefully there wasn't a few geeks in there.:D:)

If you want to hear the full song it can be heard 'on-line' here where you have the option to buy it.

If you're curious about what Catrinel Menghia is saying (I don't speak any italian) this is the translation...
What are you looking at. Uh!
What are you looking at! (slap)
Are you undressing me with your eyes.
Poor guy… you can’t help it.
Is your heart beating. Is your head spinning.
Do you feel lost thinking that I could be yours forever.

Last edited:
I think the 'knives are out' for the Jennifer Lopez ads so can you really could blame Fiat for tyring to gauge the re-action on the US A500 with a 'youtube' commerical. When I voted YES - it gave an overall result of 80%. I wonder what cater was the other 20% in - hopefully there wasn't a few geeks in there.:D:)

If you want to hear the full song it can be heard 'on-line' here where you have the option to buy it.

If you're curious about what Catrinel Menghia is saying (I don't speak any italian) this is the translation...
What are you looking at. Uh!
What are you looking at! (slap)
Are you undressing me with your eyes.
Poor guy… you can’t help it.
Is your heart beating. Is your head spinning.
Do you feel lost thinking that I could be yours forever.

"Yes" to all of the above.

Shock! Horror! Advertisement does not tell truth!

Of course, but she's going on about how "this place inspires me" yet she obviously doesn't want to set foot there.

Fiat have got this all wrong. JHo isn't a "cultural icon" at all. She's some whom I'm sure a lot of people really like, but then again she's also a tacky figure who a lot of people probably don't like.

If you're struggling in terms of sales you shouldn't use a "marmite" public figure to advertise it! It's just moronic. There's just a huge amount of tackiness attached to the JHo ads which will I'm sure turn a lot of people off the car. Read that article and you'll see gibber**** such as "“The primary objective of ‘My World’ was to explore the story of Jennifer Lopez, who is a cultural icon. We watch as she leaves Manhattan and makes her way back to the Bronx, where she grew up and continues to be inspired by,”

Seriously, are you advertising JHo or the car here? What in that advert actually makes me want to buy the car? As you all probably know, I've not ****ing intention of being inspired by a car, show me what the actual car is about, explain why it's good or at least present some imagery that most people will identify with.

Of course, but she's going on about how "this place inspires me" yet she obviously doesn't want to set foot there...explain why it's good or at least present some imagery that most people will identify with.

I think you might be a little harsh on J.Lo. I quite like the ad even though it's a bit girly for me. It is geared for the US market and not being an American and not living there I wouldn't really be in a position to be so critical. Their target market for the 500 Lounge is woman and could you blame them ? A quick look at Car (OK not the gospel it should be) - on the 'back pages' it says it all. From the OHs Enquire magazines she recently admitted to having fired her agent because she was advised to lose weight. It also spoke about her butt being insured for a billion. Who wouldn't want to have a butt like that (y) Fiat have tried hard with the ad and judging by the 'current' ad they are not sparing the spondoolies.

RobinPJ: We're having an interesting debate on the other side of the pond about whether the Abarth Ad is too hot to put on USA TV. I argued .. "not compared to what's been shown in the past on TV". See what you think.

=======================================================

Abarth Ad too provocative for TV! Are you kidding?
Which is not to say the new Abarth ad isn’t sexy, but too sexy to be seen on TV? Well, I'll let you be the judge.

Let's look at these ads from the past. Carl's Jr, Go Daddy, Victoria Secret, and Levi. Plus, Pepsi which first pushed the envelope.

Carl's Jr - Paris Hilton: The Abarth ad is mildly titillating compared to this one.

Plus, here's how Carl's Jr CEO responded when the Parents Television Council (PTC) got upset.

"Since May 19, 2005 the ad has run during sports programs, on ABC's "Desperate Housewives" finale Sunday and on the season-ending episodes of Fox's "The O.C." and NBC's "The Apprentice." Carl's Jr.'s message to the PTC: The group needs to "get a life," said Andy Puzder, CEO of Carl's Jr."

And they still put out similar ads today. Example: Kim Kardashian

Go Daddy: all Go Daddy ads are sexy but I think this one is also waaay more over the top than the Abarth ad. Talk about 'foam' issues!

Victoria Secret’s Christmas: Bet your bottom dollar that Santa's coming down the chimney tonight.

Levi's ForePlay - Change Your World: I ask you, how can 'Seduction' be more provocative than "Foreplay' and it's even somewhat about a car!

Lastly, sweet and innocent
Cindy Crawford Pepsi ad:

Considering these ads, don’t you think Fiat would be foolish not to put the new Abarth ad on the air?
=======================================================

In general, we Yanks think Fiat USA should "man up" and put the ad on TV.

I'm just worried about all the scratches on the cars from inappropriate use of sponges. Have these woemen never heard of lambswool wash mitts???

Seriously though, the Fiat ad is harmless by comparison - and like all good smut will go over the head of the innocent because it is not 100% obvious if you are an 8 year old boy.

Does anyone know if Fiat USA are going to run the Ad ?
Looking at the stats on youtube it is now at 1.3M views and seems to be getting the thumbs up.

I had a look at the other site across the pond and the sumo wrestle ad was good (wouldn't work here though) and some of the ads for the 'diesel' brand on the facebook page were a bit questionable.

Still they pale in comparison to the ad that was out for Porsche 911. I could see why that wasn't televised since an 8 year would be definitely be asking questions.

This is one of the posts from Fiat USA facebook site (unlikely it would pass the censors but still a bit of fun)..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=5y5J_EyDL14

Last edited:
Back