New Feature New Thread Type: Question Threads (with Solutions)

Currently reading:
New Feature New Thread Type: Question Threads (with Solutions)

960x0 (Phone).jpg

After the world's shortest poll (I got impatient) - I've now enabled the "Question" type thread in all the model forums.

What is a question thread you might ask?
Well put simply, it is a thread where only one reply can be marked as a solution (generally it's going to be a technical question). So something like "What oil grade should I use in my gearbox" or "What is this knocking sound from my engine" - not something like "What do you think is the best color for a Panda" or "Which exhaust suits the Bravo the best" etc etc. Think of them as threads with a problem that can be marked as "Solved".

They work like a normal thread but with a few key differences:
  • The first post will appear at the top of every page of the thread (not just page one)
  • Anyone can vote on a given reply by using the arrows to the right (or below on mobile) of the post - up for good and down for bad.
  • The thread starter is able to mark a reply as a solution, which will then make that post preview show directly under the first post with a direct link to its in-thread position (so no need to scroll through the whole thread looking for the answer).
So a thread with a solution will look like this: (the replies are still underneath in order with the solution in the correct location, it doesn't destroy the flow)

1656175908936.png

How to post a question

That's easy, on the new thread page simple change the type tab at the top from "Discussion" to "Question":

1656176011631.png

How to vote on an answer

Every reply has a new voting block next to it (or below it if you're using mobile). If you think the reply is the correct answer, click the up arrow. If you think it's a bad answer, click the down arrow. You can see the current vote total tallied next to it.

1684934980396.png

How to mark a question as solved

As the thread starter, when browsing the thread, on the right (or bottom on mobile) of each post you will see a grey tick box:

1656175819526.png

Simply click on the one that you feel is the right solution for you and it will become green and the thread will be marked as solved - simples!

1656175862452.png

Hopefully that's not too confusing to use and this can make the forum experience a bit more useful :)

We can do some fancy stuff in the future such as "filter unanswered threads" or only search for threads with a solution (y)

Last edited:
The only downside will be when the wrong solution gets tagged. Hopefully there will be a way for Mods to edit such things.

After the world's shortest poll (I got impatient) - I've now enabled the "Question" type thread in all the model forums.

What is a question thread you might ask?
Well put simply, it is a thread where only one reply can be marked as a solution (generally it's going to be a technical question). So something like "What oil grade should I use in my gearbox" or "What is this knocking sound from my engine" - not something like "What do you think is the best color for a Panda" or "Which exhaust suits the Bravo the best" etc etc. Think of them as threads with a problem that can be marked as "Solved".

They work like a normal thread but with a few key differences:
  • The first post will appear at the top of every page of the thread (not just page one)
  • The thread starter is able to mark a reply as a solution, which will then make that post preview show directly under the first post with a direct link to its in-thread position (so no need to scroll through the whole thread looking for the answer).
So a thread with a solution will look like this: (the replies are still underneath in order with the solution in the correct location, it doesn't destroy the flow)

View attachment 408211

How to post a question

That's easy, on the new thread page simple change the type tab at the top from "Discussion" to "Question":

View attachment 408212

How to mark a question as solved?

As the thread starter, when browsing the thread, on the right (or bottom on mobile) of each post you will see a grey tick box:

View attachment 408209

Simply click on the one that you feel is the right solution for you and it will become green and the thread will be marked as solved - simples!

View attachment 408210

Hopefully that's not too confusing to use and this can make the forum experience a bit more useful :)

We can do some fancy stuff in the future such as "filter unanswered threads" or only search for threads with a solution (y)
Sounds good to me! I have to say that I find this forum by far the most approachable and user friendly (and intuitive) of the several I "have" to use for the various marques I deal with. Some requiring information just short of your NI number before they will even tell you what size tyres might fit your car (or just give you air time). Oh, and the contributors here are pretty knowledgeable and in the main sensible too!

Thank you :)

Back