Technical New sump required

Currently reading:
Technical New sump required

You don't need a new sump just 'cos the plug is leaking

Mine did that in in 1998. Took the car to a local machine shop. They drained the oil out and let her drip completely dry. Then drilled and put a larger sized heli-coil into the sump hole and fitted a new larger plug to suit (from an old mini).They kept her in overnight without any oil in to make sure the sealing compound went off good and hard.

At that time it cost me £25.

Since then oil has been changed every 6 months without fail so that's about 20 oil changes with no mishaps.

You don't need a new sump just 'cos the plug is leaking

Mine did that in in 1998. Took the car to a local machine shop. They drained the oil out and let her drip completely dry. Then drilled and put a larger sized heli-coil into the sump hole and fitted a new larger plug to suit (from an old mini).They kept her in overnight without any oil in to make sure the sealing compound went off good and hard.

At that time it cost me £25.

Since then oil has been changed every 6 months without fail so that's about 20 oil changes with no mishaps.

Had a similar experience on a BMW 318 when I was younger. A little over-exuberant when tightening the sump plug after an oil change and stripped the thread. Went to the toolbox and took a large tap and re-threaded the sump - hey presto, it worked!! - It helped that I used to be a HGV mechanic in my past so had some very big taps!!

Need to replace sump soon as oil needs changing , Will probably have to order from Fiat as i cannot find one 2nd Hand .anyone know where to source such a thing without going to fiat

I got a quote from a fiat dealer about a year ago was about £270 for a new sump. :eek:

Hope you manage to find a second hand one or repair your old one.

Last edited:
Back