Technical New Problem: Ducato 2011, blowing white/grey smoke.

Currently reading:
Technical New Problem: Ducato 2011, blowing white/grey smoke.

adampaquette

Hi everyone,

I recently posted here about a clattering sound in my engine which did indeed turn out to be the timing chain. I had that replaced, and the sound was fixed.
However... I now have a pretty serious smoke issue & an odd situation with my mechanic - hoping you can be of help once again!

So, a few months ago, I noticed a *little* bit of smoke occasionally when driving. Not enough that it really sparked my concern - I would just glimpse it in my driver side mirror and then it would be gone again. Fast forward to the post-chain fix, and the smoke is back with a vengeance. If it hadn't been happening before, i would have said the new TC 'caused' it, because it was significantly more noticeable.

Video:

• The smoke is whitish-grey. I would call it white from what I see in the mirror, but not as thick and pure white as I would expect billowing steam to be.
  • Smokes on 30-50% of accelerations from stopped - beginning in 1st, peaking at the top of 2nd, and thinning out in 3rd gear. Sometimes it will do it on one acceleration, then nothing on the next, then back to smoking again on the following...
  • By 4th gear, & during highway driving, the smoke is gone completely.
  • After a long (1hr) highway drive, the smoke is mostly not present when back to city driving, but still occasionally throws out a puff or two.
  • It is there each time I drive, but the amount is somewhat inconsistent. Sometimes it is low enough that I feel the problem is getting better, once or twice it has been bad enough to put my hazards on and pull over until it stopped. Usually its enough that cars behind me are backing off. The attached video shows about the average.
  • Engine temp normal
  • No milkshake to indicate a head gasket issue.
  • Maybe a slight loss of power? I don't fully trust my intuition on this. But it feels a little less gutsy on acceleration...
  • There is also different smoke when punching high revs - a more normal looking dark gray/brown sooty smoke that leaves residue on the ground & cuts off immediately after backing off the pedal.
  • Important: when repairing the timing chain, I also had an oil & filter change and it had clearly been a long time since it was done (this is a second hand van and I hadn't done an oil change yet - stupid me). He was pretty shocked at how blacked out the oil was & clearly it was well overdue. Could it be something to do with this change of oil & a 'cleaning out' of the old crap?

So - after reading all that, you'd probably just tell me to get it back to the mechanic, right? Did that. Here's what he said.

• Turbo looks fine
  • Doesn't think its anything to do with the head/gasket
  • The underside of the engine was covered in oil, there's a leak somewhere but we don't know where. He cleaned all the oil and I'm to drive it a bit and take it back to see where the leak is coming from. He was pretty insistent though, that the smoke didn't have anything to do with this leak.
  • No water in the oil or anything similar indications.
  • Did the TUV yesterday (main 2-yearly inspection in Germany) and it passed everything including emissions test.

He basically said he didn't know what was causing it, and considering the expense it would take to start digging around to find the problem, his advice was to just ignore it, and probably it would be fine. 'Normal diesel engine stuff'. I pushed back with a bit of concern but he just kinda waved me off. I'm a total engine amateur, so I don't have much to do but trust the guy, however, I have a 3500km drive Berlin > Sicily coming up in 6 weeks, so I'm kind of worried about heading out on a long trip with a smoking van!!

Ideas about what it could be might help if I decide to see another mechanic, but its already been to two and they both said to just drive it. So I'm wondering, *can* it actually be normal to just drive a van that smokes like this in city driving? Is it relatively safe to take it on a long trip, having done these basic checks for the big obvious problems?? Many thanks everyone!

Adam

Hi,

Don't blame the mechanic for a problem that existed prior to mechanic fixing the cam chain.

The smoke issue is not related to the chain or the oil change.

The white / grey smoke could be due to dpf regeneration system.

I'm glad you updated other thread.

Best wishes

Jack

100% not blaming him for creating the problem! That was why I mentioned it - it was pre-existing, but massively different after the TC. Just thought maybe the fixed system might make a different pre-existing problem show up more. Thanks for clarifying its not!

Any thoughts on the last question? I've been told twice now not to worry about the smoke and just drive it, and not being mechanically minded, i just wanted to check if this is bad advice?

I haven't been able to smell anything unusual...
No loss of fluids apparent
No warning lights
Ticking noise was resolved - it was the timing chain, that was replaced & noise resolved...

Ideally you could get multi ecu scan software on a laptop, a interface to connect the laptop to the van. Then you could look at ecu data regarding dpf regeneration attempts / successes other stored fault info.

Hi everyone,

I've been away & now back in Berlin and on to a third mechanic!

I have to wait a week before he has time to take the engine apart & see if he can figure out whats going on. A cursory look and rundown of the symptoms prompted him to guess at failed piston rings, bad injectors, or the diesel pump. The smoke is more or less as bad as it was the last few drives & the same small oil drip/leak front center undercarriage. But after the visit this afternoon I was parking the van and decided to rev it and have another look at the smoke while stationary, and noticed that it wouldn't rev over about 2.5k. It was a hard limit - it would get to that and then I could floor the pedal and it wouldn't budge over 2.5.

I'm hoping this guy can do a better job of diagnosis on Monday (assuming the van makes it the 7km back to the workshop without losing power completely) - in the meantime I'm wondering if that power cutoff would offer a clearer indication of what might be going on in there?

Many thanks.
Adam

Hi,
The symptoms are very much those of the vehicle trying to regenerate the dpf but the regeneration failing. Failed dpf regeneration will lead to "limp mode" not reviving over 2500rpm.
I am surprised you haven't had any messages on van display saying "regeneration in progress keep driving"

You really need to connect a scan tool that can read live data, particularly dpf pressure sensor differential sensor readings. Multi ecu scan would be ideal as previously mentioned but ignored.

If it's not using oil or coolant the last thing you want to do is take the engine apart.

Best wishes
Jack

@jackwhoo - thank you very much again for your reply, Jack.
I didn't ignore your advice about the Multi ECU, but I am a total novice with mechanical work and I feel its a bit out of my league to do these things myself. However your thoughts here are very helpful for me to forward to my mechanic. Is that scan tool something all mechanics would have? I know he wants to do a compression test, maybe he will do some other tests before taking it apart?

By your last sentence I presume you mean it is an unnecessary process to take the engine apart if its not losing fluids? There is an oil leak, does that not warrant a deeper investigation?

Thanks again & believe me I'm not ignoring any of the advice!!
Adam

I'm looking again at the multi ecu scan website trying to figure out what I would need to get and the tech language is beyond me... adapters, interfaces, warnings about which cables not to use -- sorry, for you guys its probably really obvious...

I have the Ducato 250 2.2, if anyone can tell me exactly what I would need to buy to do this scan, I'll happily order it today. * I don't have a windows computer but i have an Ipad which i think restricts which interface/adapters I can use (???)

Cluelessly,
Adam

Ducato Multijet 100, 11Q 2.2JTD 250; AAMFB/AX
Does that make it a Ford Puma engine series, any help available from that direction?
In a slightly different direction, does it have a hand primer for the fuel filter? I have just acquired a 2010 Fiat Scudo 2 litre (which I believe is a similar deritive also used in Peugeots) with a top end? rattle and misfire.
I found by squeezing the primer the noise and misfire went away, I am currently pursuing the direction that the High Pressure Siemens Injector pump low pressure side is used to "suck" the fuel from the tank in absence of a electric pump in the fuel tank. On replacing the fuel filter element I found fine shiny metal particles which I believe are shaved off the "suction " aluminium housing by the vanes in the low pressure side of the High pressure injector pump.
The logic behind my theory is some years ago at commercial van auctions people were avoiding the Ford Transits with the early version of the same engine due to premature Injector pump failure.
I am currently waiting for a s/h injector pump to try.
I am not a fan of using the high pressure pump to "suck" fuel all the way from the tank rather than a electric pump in tank as some years ago I had a 03 1868cc? Doblo non turbo fitted with a Lucas Epic fuel injector pump using the same principle pre Common Rail. It had been to other garages and Diagnostic centres unsuccessfully so I bought it for £300 to play with, I like thinking outside of the box and got it running by placing a can of diesel on the wing and feeding fuel directly down to the Lucas Epic fuel pump.
This helped me to trace the fault to a air leak at the plastic fuel pipe connection at the tank, which I fixed with a length of rubber fuel hose and clips rather than the £200 for a new Fiat fuel line at the time. Had the vacuum side been supplied with low pressure fuel from a pump in the tank the leaking connector would have been more obvious.

Does that make it a Ford Puma engine series, any help available from that direction?
In a slightly different direction, does it have a hand primer for the fuel filter? I have just acquired a 2010 Fiat Scudo 2 litre (which I believe is a similar deritive also used in Peugeots) with a top end? rattle and misfire.
I found by squeezing the primer the noise and misfire went away, I am currently pursuing the direction that the High Pressure Siemens Injector pump low pressure side is used to "suck" the fuel from the tank in absence of a electric pump in the fuel tank. On replacing the fuel filter element I found fine shiny metal particles which I believe are shaved off the "suction " aluminium housing by the vanes in the low pressure side of the High pressure injector pump.
The logic behind my theory is some years ago at commercial van auctions people were avoiding the Ford Transits with the early version of the same engine due to premature Injector pump failure.
I am currently waiting for a s/h injector pump to try.
I am not a fan of using the high pressure pump to "suck" fuel all the way from the tank rather than a electric pump in tank as some years ago I had a 03 1868cc? Doblo non turbo fitted with a Lucas Epic fuel injector pump using the same principle pre Common Rail. It had been to other garages and Diagnostic centres unsuccessfully so I bought it for £300 to play with, I like thinking outside of the box and got it running by placing a can of diesel on the wing and feeding fuel directly down to the Lucas Epic fuel pump.
This helped me to trace the fault to a air leak at the plastic fuel pipe connection at the tank, which I fixed with a length of rubber fuel hose and clips rather than the £200 for a new Fiat fuel line at the time. Had the vacuum side been supplied with low pressure fuel from a pump in the tank the leaking connector would have been more obvious.
Mate, this is all way beyond me - all I can say is I hope my mechanic is as insightful as you and can come up with a theory as good!

I wrote to him regarding the DPF and he simply wrote back that the diagnostic will be free & he'll do the best to get it fixed affordably and let me know costs up front. Thanks again to you both, I once again have to put my van in someone elses hands and hope for the best!

Will update with progress :)
A

Hi Adam,

I was suggesting exhaust all other options before taking engine apart.

Good luck

Hi Adam,

Your mechanics suggestion of possible injector problem is very valid. An injector leaking fuel into cylinder could easily cause the symptoms seen.

How many kilometres has vehicle covered?

Your mechanic should have a scan tool capable of reading the data. I can't help regarding multi ecu scan and iPad/ Apple software - at this point maybe wait for mechanic to report back to you.

Best wishes

Jack

Sounds just like what my van was doing.
Turned out to be blocked dpf
No warning on the dashboard.
In the end it split intercooler,fried the turbo and blocked up egr including sensor's with black sludge.

Back