Technical 2.3 white smoke - not coolant!

Currently reading:
Technical 2.3 white smoke - not coolant!

gladys31

Hi, any thoughts, 2.3 130 d (2012) starts perfectly, then after a few minutes starts overinjecting, white deisel smoke. This eventually stops as engine reaches running temp, but occasionally on over run will overinject!!
Have got snap-on scanner, no faults
Your thoughts??

Hi, any thoughts, 2.3 130 d (2012) starts perfectly, then after a few minutes starts overinjecting, white deisel smoke. This eventually stops as engine reaches running temp, but occasionally on over run will overinject!!
Have got snap-on scanner, no faults
Your thoughts??
Hi, 🙂

Lots of options of course..

Dribbly injector will cause overfilling.. But do will air flow and temperature recognition problems.

Are you seeing sensible temperatures via the OBD Port?

If it has the 5th injector for regenerating the dpf.Check the heater circuit for the 5th injector . If the heater doesn't heat then white smoke will occur when ecu attempts to regenerate the dpf .

the x290 do not have a 5th injector the regen injection is done by using standard injection but timed to inject durring the exhaust stroke thus straight into the exhaust the x250 is probably the same, appears to be via Multiecuscan. has same measurements. the x244 has diiferent ones.
I think that DPF was introduced with the x250, and not fitted on the x244.

This eventually stops as engine reaches running temp, but occasionally on over run will overinject!!

Hmmm , white smoke you say , and stops when the engine reaches temp . I'm gonna be the odd one out here , as my first thought would be condensation . Used to get it a lot but basically it's water inside your exhaust , often caused by running the engine in cold weather . As the exhaust cools , it condensates inside the exhaust . This can lead to a pool of water forming , which quickly burns off during the next run . Often it can become worse during hard acceleration , but eventually decreases as the exhaust begins to dry out . This seems to be borne out with the lack of fault codes , but then i will admit that fault computers are notoriously unreliable . Heavy trucks are prone to it , but now i often let the motor warm before driving . When i say warm , i mean the cab , while i'm strapping the load or shutting the curtains . Don't start my van at all , i remove the batteries and lay the van up completely over winter . Have you managed to get a wiff of this smoke , does it smell of diesel .

Last edited:
Back