New Lancia Delta

Currently reading:
New Lancia Delta

agree with the consensus, it looks awful and no where near fitting of the name unfortunately :( as Jai siad, the delta is a car that u look at and seconds later realise ur bum hole is seeping through fear that it will mutilate your familly directly infront of u and ask if u want leg or breast meat :p truely stunning car be that.....:yum: :cool:

screw what it looks like, its what it drives like that counts.

although got to say, that is possibly the ugliest, and most 'kia' esque looking car NOT to be a kia or from anywhere near korea!!

the lancia epsilon is mean't to be a 'luxury italian small car' but its quite possibly the most hidious and tackiest small car I've ever seen (daewoo matiz the exception and though's new peu, cit and toyo c1's) and londoners love them, they get them custom imported, IN RHD and pay well over the odds for the privilege!!

the 2nd generation late 90's delta was pretty fowl too. although top marks on teh sleeper effect!!!

Basically it needs to be square, boxy, with jutting out pointy bits, a huge square namless grill and a flat 6cyl snarl, closely followed by two of the largest noisest dump valves going OR ALTERNATIVLY an impressive supercharge wine that would shatter glass!!, sat on 13"x 13" fat ronal rims and no rear bumper, a few huge air intakes, two bucket seats, NO ONE bucket seat, a roll cage, a white paint job and an empty mountain road.
THAT IS WHAT A DELTA IS. NOT THE ABOVE ABOMINATION:mad:

faster4_tec said:
screw what it looks like, its what it drives like that counts.

although got to say, that is possibly the ugliest, and most 'kia' esque looking car NOT to be a kia or from anywhere near korea!!

the lancia epsilon is mean't to be a 'luxury italian small car' but its quite possibly the most hidious and tackiest small car I've ever seen (daewoo matiz the exception and though's new peu, cit and toyo c1's) and londoners love them, they get them custom imported, IN RHD and pay well over the odds for the privilege!!

the 2nd generation late 90's delta was pretty fowl too. although top marks on teh sleeper effect!!!

Basically it needs to be square, boxy, with jutting out pointy bits, a huge square namless grill and a flat 6cyl snarl, closely followed by two of the largest noisest dump valves going OR ALTERNATIVLY an impressive supercharge wine that would shatter glass!!, sat on 13"x 13" fat ronal rims and no rear bumper, a few huge air intakes, two bucket seats, NO ONE bucket seat, a roll cage, a white paint job and an empty mountain road.
THAT IS WHAT A DELTA IS. NOT THE ABOVE ABOMINATION:mad:

Ypsilon.

Dont come in RHD and cannot be easily converted (no RHD dash sets)

Hellcat said:
I am a Delta... Honest ;)
Lancia_Delta_S4-Xray_1024.jpg

Seriously lacking in the agression front. Should do a thread of 'what the car is thinking' captions.
This is a Delta S4 from the 1980's!! It had the patented Triflux head and before it could be developed properly, got banned with the rest of the grp B rally cars.
If you want twin rear shocks, look under a Range Rover rear end.

Andy.

yea thats not a very attractive car but least that means its consistent with the rest of the lancia car range which has to be amongst the worst in in the world when it comes to styling the lancia thesis is possibly the ugliest car ive ever seen what were the hell were they thinking when the gave that thing the green light!?!

sumplug said:
This is a Delta S4 from the 1980's!! It had the patented Triflux head and before it could be developed properly, got banned with the rest of the grp B rally cars.
If you want twin rear shocks, look under a Range Rover rear end.

Andy.

Yeah I know that, well didn't know about the patented head, but knew it was an S4. Walkers Garage sold one a few months ago. :worship:

1800cc wasn't it?

Road going version disappointingly (new word?) only had 250bhp.

New Delta is not a great looker, I actually like the Nouvo Delta and would consider one as a daily transport.

If you go on Lancia heritage on rallying you can not forget the Fulvia HF, last FWD car to win the world championship as it was in those days, there was only a manufacturers championship, no driver, that was only introduced in '78 or something.

Lancia have to get the marketing correct with the reintroduction of Lancia here, in Germany where buyers pervieve brands differently they consider lancia as an alternative to Audi/BMW etc what we do not need is Lancia sold through Fiat or Alfa dealers offering big discounts otherwise the marque gets tarnished beyond repair, it can be done as Toyota did it with Lexus a made up brand with no heritage to draw on, whereas Citroen have all but ruined theres with stack 'em high sell 'em cheap philosophy.

I know someone who hired a Y last year on holiday after taking back the Focus they has as it was awful and was taken by its build quality luxury fittings like leather and alcantara and generally upmarket feel in a small car, i think thats why they go down well in London, they have prestige but are small enough to nip around traffic and park in smaller bays.

i agree, if lancia sell on fiat forecourts it'll hurt their (almost non-existant) reputation in the UK. but setting up a dealer network can cost more than developing a new car so i doubt they'll have a choice.

plus that new delta looks like a fiat. not surprising when you consider its on the same fiat 'C-segment' platform as the new bravo, and the coming 147 replacement. there's a real danger that they'll develop a group brand rather than 3 seperate brands.

people will say "oh look a new fiat, oh no wait its an alfa, no wait its actually a lancia, oh well they're all the same thing". and that means the lancia 'brand' wont be distinct from fiat/alfa, which it needs to be if they want to aim at a different market and charge different prices.

vw /scoda /seat have managed to pull off 3 seperate brands (different prices and customers) even though most of their cars are very similar. i think thats what fiat hope to achieve.

alfa have a fairly identifiable brand, helped lately by the sexy front end (well suited to exec market, could almost compete with vw/audi if reliable). fiat have that 'fun' factor (cheap and cheeful mass produced plastic market). if lancia took over the sportier section (imagine supercharged 4wd versions of fiats) i think there would be a good balance, and i'd want a lancia. however if lancia try to take on the executive market then alfa may suffer (they'll compete!), lancia will stuggle (most difficult segment to enter) and the whole plan goes tits up. i think this is the more realistic likelihood. but who knows, time will tell.

Meh, theyve been keeping my hopes up for ages saying there coming back to the UK since 2005.

I'll believe it when i see it.

jamie86 said:
Damn this thread just been looking at Delta's for sale now :eek:

Mate, I get the urge at least once a week, its killing me lol.

Yep quite agree. Fiat have one chance to launch Lancia back here, and only way is to go for seperate franchise and to make affordable stylish and damn good driving machines. If they can make a sector leader, then people will look to buy them. If they are luke warm, then Lancia will sink quickly. Even your bread and butter cars are very good today, so to relaunch here, Lancias have to be the best in class! Only way.

Andy. :)

you lot have proberly thought about lancia's marketing strategy more than they have!!!

YUP defanatly seen at least TWO RHD ypsiolns (or do I mean Y's? the little one, bit smaller than a punto, maybe a similar floor pan to a 147? ugly as sin etc) in london on the same weekend.

Back