General New Key (ive read through forum posts and cant see answer)

Currently reading:
General New Key (ive read through forum posts and cant see answer)

angelauk

Brummy in Bux ;)
Hi ,
I am hoping someone can help me:wave:

I Brought a punto in January and it only came with one key,Been advised over 100 pound for one direct from Fiat,
Having read through other people with same problem took it to timpson they scanned my key and said they couldnt do it,
I have been told by another that unfortunatly punto 1999 to 2006 uses an ID48 chip that is pre-coded at the factory.?

Is there no where that can copy these keys apart from punto?

I have the blue key (Told no red one, only blue fob key for this model which i dont have)
its Fiat punto Elx

Angela

Sounds like you have a Mark 2 Punto in which case the man in Timpsons is right, they can only recode Mark 1 Keys (94-99) punto's.

Maybe you can try in the Mark 2 forum?

The only way round this unfortunately is normally to go to Fiat for a replica.

The Code2 system uses a rolling code generator, so getting your key from Fiat is the only way. It may be expensive but on the plus side it is (as you can tell) almost impossible to crack from outside of the Fiat network, making the vehicle very hard to steal.

is your punto a mk2 angela?? I will move this thread to mk2 for you if so ;)

Does sound like you have a code2 key, does it have a little circle with a triangle and a number 2 stamped into the metal part like in the pic attached? Key shape don't matter, just whether that symbol is stamped into it. If so then it is correct their is no 'master' red key. The easiest, least hassle way of getting a key is paying Fiat for one. Its that or spending money on 2nd hand lockset and immobilser unit etc etc and then paying someone to fit it if your not confident enough to change them all yourself. I think this is the main reason they are priced as they are, its not cheap but cheaper than the alternative if you pay someone to do it.

Attachments

• fiat-punto-transponder-key-code-2--88-p[ekm]300x225[ekm].jpg
    fiat-punto-transponder-key-code-2--88-p[ekm]300x225[ekm].jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
is your punto a mk2 angela?? I will move this thread to mk2 for you if so ;)

Does sound like you have a code2 key, does it have a little circle with a triangle and a number 2 stamped into the metal part like in the pic attached? Key shape don't matter, just whether that symbol is stamped into it. If so then it is correct their is no 'master' red key. The easiest, least hassle way of getting a key is paying Fiat for one. Its that or spending money on 2nd hand lockset and immobilser unit etc etc and then paying someone to fit it if your not confident enough to change them all yourself. I think this is the main reason they are priced as they are, its not cheap but cheaper than the alternative if you pay someone to do it.
Hi all thanks for replying,
Blu73 .... i didnt know it if it was mk1 or mk2 ....presumed as was older car to post in the mk1 forum,? ....

My key does have the triangle circles and 2 stamped on,
I telephoned Fiat and asked for exact price for key and coding key and immobilizer code is 183.32 ..... to get fiat to re-code and key is 237.32 ....

The fiat bloke reccommended a fella he used to use yrs ago in Kingsthorpe that could code,... So called him,He can do for 30, ....But would still need to fork out the initial 183.32... So still not cheap,....

guess im just gonna have to make sure i dont lose my key! ;(

have never done before so fingers crossed! lol

You dont have to go to Fiat.
A chip can be made by a good locksmith. Ecu is taken apart and Eprom work is carried out.
Works out about the same price as Fiat which is why I advise my MK2 Punto customers to go to the Dealer.

Back