Technical Gearbox struggles a bit shifting into 1st and second; Should I change the gearbox fluid or is it something more serious?

Currently reading:
Technical Gearbox struggles a bit shifting into 1st and second; Should I change the gearbox fluid or is it something more serious?

Puntomk1GOAT

Sometimes I can't even put it into first and I have to start from the second. Shifting from the 2nd into first and from second into 1st doesn't produce any noise but it's not a smooth transition. I don't have to force it in but it struggles a bit. The other gears are fine. It's a 1998 Fiat Punto mk1 1.2 petrol.

This is very old car, right? The gearbox has enough probably. Renewing oil will not "fix" anything (too late now), but you can try.
Also, you can try to check or adjust (if possible) the cables (or the selector mechanism has stiff "pipe" under the car, I don't remember Punto 1).
Or replace them.
Plus, gear selector on the gearbox, remove it and check if it's OK (especially spring pin 4 mm, they can break).
Used gearboxes are cheap, that's the last option (professional rebuild is not worth it probably, economically speaking).

Last edited:
This is very old car, right? The gearbox has enough probably. Renewing oil will not "fix" anything (too late now), but you can try.
Also, you can try to check or adjust (if possible) the cables (or the selector mechanism has stiff "pipe" under the car, I don't remember Punto 1).
Or replace them.
Plus, gear selector on the gearbox, remove it and check if it's OK (especially spring pin 4 mm, they can break).
Used gearboxes are cheap, that's the last option (professional rebuild is not worth it probably, economically speaking).
I'll get it checked out. Hopefully it's nothing serious. There are no noises so it might just be a simple fix.

Back