New computer... Yay... Problems... Doh!

Currently reading:
New computer... Yay... Problems... Doh!

So new computers here and i got all excited and put most of it together, just missing a Sata cable for the HDD but thats all, going to get one tomorrow :slayer:

But this is where it got fun... went to start it up (just to make sure started up lol) and nothing :( was at this point i realised PSU had a ATX cable of 10x2 (as the oldschool MB's did) but my new mobo wants a 12x2 cable :cry: anyone else heard of anything like this? :( im 3.3v, 5v, 12v and a ground short on my atx cable (n)

PC World are doing a 400W Jeantech PSU for 30 quid ATM - its excellent as supports 20/24 ATX (y) You can also get the convertors too :)

Reminds me, I must sort out my IDE cables and front fans....................:)

Its cool buddy, its just my luck that made it this way prob ;) :p

miss the ol' simple days :eek: was saying to arc too, doesnt look right ya know with the inside being this tidy :p

Hmm not sure if to try find 20 to 24 connector tomorrow in lunch (dont get long and work about 15 mins from town :eek: ) or to just get the sata cable and connector off internet :chin:

Cheers for finding that though Hellcat :slayer: was scared new PSU job for a min :eek: im eating bread and butter for rest of month as it is :p

Long as you're not running dual 7800s on the board the 12V rail on your current PSU should be fine - Especially it being 400W+. The extra pins are only there to support the extra demand that SLI graphics cards are putting on the motherboards. Even with their own Molex connector (still can't believe you have to pump 12v straight into a gfx card) they still eat a load through the PCI-Express port.

GhostWKD said:
miss the ol' simple days :eek: was saying to arc too, doesnt look right ya know with the inside being this tidy :p

I'll take a picture of my case for you if you want Alex - its retro style i.e. wires and IDE cables everywhere! :D

GhostWKD said:
450w iirc :) and i already had enough retro from just looking at my old system :eek: was seeing if i had any decent ram to pinch from it :p but i dont :p

Considering my build is less than 6 months old, it shouldn't be looking retro :eek: It should be rectified in due course (y)

Nah you don't want to put old ram in - even if it was a 512 stick as it will most likely be sub 400ddr. The new ram will match speed with the older stuff. 1 gig of 266ddr is not as much use as 512 400ddr.

Hope you can find both bits quickly enough and get your pc online.. Don't forget pics of the insides. (y)

Mine is a mess - I keep meaning to go in there and tidy up all the wires, but just haven't bothered...

By the time I do, I will probably be gutting it or something, for an upgrade - I want more GFX power ;)

serin said:
my pc is all spic and span inside :D

cant stand clutter! everything is tucked away and cabletyed (y)

Well, I'm still in the process of sorting it out - there's still a couple of bits and bobs to go in, so I got an excuse :p The case temp is far too high for my liking - at this point in time its 30 C! :eek:

Back