Technical New clutch - what else should i replace?

Currently reading:
Technical New clutch - what else should i replace?

I used this. To seal the bell housing. Cheapest one I could find that specified it was safe in gear oil.
several years later and it’s held up well.

Gear oil can attack some sealants designed for engine oil and petrol.
DC70BAFC-3A81-4E51-AC4B-D5F918B8F557.jpeg

Thanks for all the guidance so far!

Any tips on what gearoil to use?
Not a question you should ask. You will probably get a million responses all saying what ever they filled it up with is the best

Not too critical in my opinion

It’s more important to be full and clean

Fiat changed its spec backwards and forwards regularly through the history of the gearbox

Anything around

SAE 75W, API GL 4,

Or what the specs say in your handbook

Last edited:
All parts found, thanks for all the help!

Was driving the car last night. Noticed a light judder in the gas pedal, while acelerating slowly in 4th and 5th gear.

Also a judder from the engine compartment when going in reverse, just as the car sets off.

Does this point to anything obvious other than the clutch?

It could be anything. However, with your history clutch is the most likely culprit. Apart from being worn, there might be some contamination from the oil seal. But you are sorting all that so see how it is when the new parts are in.

All parts found, thanks for all the help!

Was driving the car last night. Noticed a light judder in the gas pedal, while acelerating slowly in 4th and 5th gear.

Also a judder from the engine compartment when going in reverse, just as the car sets off.

Does this point to anything obvious other than the clutch?

Low rev misfire
Accelerator pedal
Engine mounts

All fairly common
If the judder is worse in reverse when going up a slight slope it’s likely to the engine mounts

I don’t think it’s the clutch or input shaft bearing as these are normally worse while engaging drive or changing gear but not normally evident while driving slowly

A teaspoonful of oil on the friction plate is enough to cause clutch judder. The new clutch and oil seal will rule that out and allow the engine mounts to be properly examined. If the issue persists after that, the owner will have fewer places to look for trouble.

a light judder in the gas pedal, while acelerating slowly in 4th and 5th

A teaspoonful of oil on the friction plate is enough to cause clutch judder.
Kangarooing on light acceleration doesn’t even sound clutch related

Seeing as I have dumped several litres of gear oil into the bell housing Due to smashing a hole in the housing I doubt any oil on the friction material will ever cause any Kind of clutch judder on engagement regardless of what it says over the inter web.

My oil contaminated clutch (due to failed oil seal spraying oil drips into the centre) had judder long before it began to slip. I got used to dealing with it, but the new clutch was so much better and has remained good.

Did the job this weekend, all went well and the clutch feels like new :)

The job was done on the ground, with a couple of jacks and stuff - took around 5 hours with help from a friend.

The clutch was heavily worn, and release bearing was almost toast. Luckily no damage to the flywheel.
Also the clutch cable snapped, when unscrewing the bolt securing it to the gearbox arm - good thing you recommended a new one!

No leaks from back of the engine or from the gearbox input shaft.
So ended up not taking the gearbox apart to replace bearing and seal - since it was completely dry and i couldn't feel any slack in the shaft.
Plastic bearings for the release fork had no play, so didn't replace those either.

Changed the seals for driveshafts as well.

Thanks again for all your help!

Back