Technical New clutch kit smells and noise

Currently reading:
Technical New clutch kit smells and noise

Hey guys, it's me again.
So my mechanic just changed my clutch with a new clutch kit (pressure plate, clutch disc, and a release bearing) from Sachs (ref. 3000 951 044), pretty solid quality.

In the meantime I went to an empty parking lot and started testing the clutch bite point because it is the first time I have a brand new clutch in my Punto.

It turns out that when making the clutch bite point I noticed a very muffled squeal. Watch the video please, with close attention as it is very unnoticeable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_BwuRA1I0w

I can't describe it very well, but it only happens when I do the bite point, otherwise I got to the 5th gear on the expressway and didn't notice anything.

Besides that I can smell that burning clutch odor 2-3 mins when I come to a stop. It smelt very similar to when my old clutch was slipping. I am worried that the mechanic may have not correctly put my car back together.

Is there any break-in required on a new clutch? I wouldn't think so...

Also no, my left foot doesn't ride the clutch pedal when driving.

I've googled around and seen both "if you smell burning clutch, you have a problem and it's going to disintegrate very quickly" and "a burning smell is perfectly normal in the first few hundred miles of break-in."

Meanwhile I already made 60kms with the new clutch and I will need to many more and I do not know if it is wrong to use the clutch like this... Is something I can expect with a new clutch, or something I should be concerned about? What is everyone's guess here?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Thanks for the answer! Any ideia on the noise? :(

It’s a brand new clutch you need to give it a chance to bed in.

The flywheel will be worn to the old clutch.

Also a lot of parts are moving around at the same speed and frequency matching that of the clutch, it could be a multitude of things non of which are related to the work that was done.

It’s a brand new clutch you need to give it a chance to bed in.

The flywheel will be worn to the old clutch.

Also a lot of parts are moving around at the same speed and frequency matching that of the clutch, it could be a multitude of things non of which are related to the work that was done.

Okay, I'll keep that in mind. Sorry about it but I never had my clutch changed in my short years of driving.

I'll give it a couple of weeks and then I'll update this post, thanks!

As Andy said. Since you didn't change the fly wheel it will take a little well for everything to go into its place

Smell is probably from the gearbox oil. Hope the drive shaft seal is not damaged. The smel should be away in a day or two, if it remains, than you should have your shaft seal replaced. You can check under the car, wipe the shaft dry with a cloth, and see if the oil returns or not.
It should stay dry.

The noise is from the clutch pedal, it's an easy fix, you can read it here, how to:
It's google translated from hungarian, so don't panic if anything is unclear. Just ask if you don't understand something.
https://translate.google.com/transl.../05/22/kuplung-pedal-nyikorgas-megszuntetese/

Just a quick update: The smell is fainting every day! Thank you all for the help! (y)
But that "muffled squeak" is still there, and I know that in the video it isn't very clear as it has the squeak from the clutch pedal overlaping it.
But I think that it's nothing to worry about as I didn't change the flywheel and as said before the flywheel will be worn to the old clutch and I have to wait because it will take a little well for everything to go into its place.
Thanks again!

Smell is probably from the gearbox oil. Hope the drive shaft seal is not damaged. The smel should be away in a day or two, if it remains, than you should have your shaft seal replaced. You can check under the car, wipe the shaft dry with a cloth, and see if the oil returns or not.
It should stay dry.

The noise is from the clutch pedal, it's an easy fix, you can read it here, how to:
It's google translated from hungarian, so don't panic if anything is unclear. Just ask if you don't understand something.
https://translate.google.com/transl.../05/22/kuplung-pedal-nyikorgas-megszuntetese/

Hey, thanks for the answer!
I'll do your sugestion for sure!
Regarding the second part of your answer: thank you so much again! The squeak I was talking about is a "muffled squeak" that is nearly inaudible because of the clutch pedal squeak. It almost sounds like an harmony, I can't really explain it well.
But I've been wanting to solve the clutch pedal squeak for a while now and I knew it was something about a plastic cap:

Photo_1.jpg
Photo_2.jpg

Thanks for the guide, I'll try it aswell for sure!

Last edited:
Back